"A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD remaster.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mattb, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouChang

LouChang her brother (but nobody's bro)

original Fantasy CD variations

You're welcome.

In case you haven't waded through this lengthy thread, post 85 on pg. 5 shows the front and back covers for the '86. The '88 and 2000 versions have the more common "scraggly tree" cover. The 2000 release corrected the musician credits and includes www.fantasyjazz.com on the back cover. All three versions have the same UPC.

2. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

If anyone could help with my questions from post 367 of this thread that would be fantastic. thanks!

3. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

It looks as if I didn't realize the pictures were from the first issue.

Thanks again!

4. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

I just went to the emusic site and noticed that Greensleeves "Alternate Take 13" has disappeared. Was anyone able to download this, and if so, was it different than Greensleeves alternate take 6 or the original take from the album?

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I came across this review on Amazon.com that offers some interesting insights that I wanted to share- I guess you could consider it a response to the negative reviews.

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

:shake:
    The "reviewer" seems elated of the use of heavy handed NR and crap smiley EQ to make it sound "modern". Just a TFAM I guess?

7. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Frankly, the material can use some NR. The EQ I can even live with. The deal-breaker for me is that the mix is lousy. I have the remaster in my collection, but I don't listen to it.

Derek

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Can someone tell me (yes or no) if the remaster does in fact use alternative takes in place of the previous edition's master takes?

Or are they simply the same takes remixed?

Thanks.

9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

It doesn't anymore. At first, "Linus And Lucy" and "Christmas Is Coming" were different.

The explanation on Wikipedia is pretty accurate, if I remember correctly. Concord Music Group was very forthcoming about the mistakes in some of the first pressings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Charlie_Brown_Christmas_(album)#Controversy_over_2006_remaster

10. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

Once I bought the Analogue Productions 45rpm set, the Concord CD went to the Pay It Forward thread. The CD is a dog, and not a beagle.

11. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

:laughup:

That was great. Nice one!

12. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just listened to the remaster and in my opinion; while it sounds different than the previous mastering (which I do prefer by a slight margin due to its mix), it doesn't necessarily sound any worse to my ears, and I'm glad to have the alliterative takes.

If you are on the fence about it and already own the previous CD issue/mastering; I would pick up the remastered version to compliment it without hesitation.:righton:

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I really wish they'd added the track Surfin' Snoopy to the remaster (it's the cue where Snoopy is decorating his doghouse). It should have been on the original album to begin with.

And yes, I know it's available on the "Charlie Brown's Holiday HIts" compilation. :)

14. GroovinGarrett

Your profile is blank. What were you listening to the two discs on when you made the comparisons? I'm curious because I've heard/read very few compliments about the Concord remix/remaster, including my own dislike of it.

15. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I was listening to it on a Bose compact stereo system and also on my computer with some pretty good quality external speakers with a nice subwoofer.

Now; I'm not saying the remix should replace the old/proper mix permanently or anything (so I hope the old version doesn't go out of print); but I'm just saying that it doesn't sound bad to me- just different.

I can understand why some people don't like it specifically because it's different and that's fine- but give it a chance.

Plus; it has exclusive alternative takes that I can't get anywhere else, so that made it a no-brainer for me, regardless. I got my value out of it just getting the chance to hear those.

rbichamp likes this.
  16. GroovinGarrett

Right on. Compared to the old George Horn CD and the AP 45rpm, I didn't care for the SQ, but the alternates are nice to have. :thumbsup:

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

My go-to CD will be the old one with the proper mix (which is flawless, IMHO) but I'll pull out the remastered CD from time to time when I'm in the mood to hear a different take on the album (or the alternative takes).

18. GroovinGarrett

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ooo! Nice camera work he did there! I love the closeup of the album cover through the reflection in the vinyl.

And it sounds very nice even through the camera's microphone.

20. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Yyyyyyyes! You are correct sir.
    I still have my original blue label Fantasy wax, sounds great.

21. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member Thread Starter

I wish this release was digital as well. I'm just not set up for vinyl.

I don't recall hearing the count in on any previous mastering.

22. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member Thread Starter

23. Audio Fidelity/MFSL/Analogue Productions needs to release this album on SACD for the final word on it. Yes, I'm aware of both the prior Fantasy SACD and DVD.

24. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

Hmm, the HDTracks version is tempting. Anyone give it a listen yet?

25. thetrout

thetrout Forum Resident

Alright, I bit the bullet and got it from HDTracks anyway. It was the quote from the rather well-respected Joe Tarantino that got my attention:

Thus, knowing that one can rarely go wrong with Joe Tarantino mastered jazz, I got the 96khz edition to save a few bucks. The accompanying PDF is composed of scans from the previous SACD, so the mastering credit is apparently incorrect in the liner notes.

In any event, I quite like the sound. My ears aren't as sharp as most on this forum, so take that with a grain of salt. I previously owned the Steve-mastered 45rpm discs, and I'd say that this compares favorably, though again, your own mileage may vary, since I don't really trust my own opinions on sound sometimes. Steve's may have been a bit warmer, but that could've just been my own rig coloring the sound.

I suppose it's also worth noting that the tape hiss is pretty loud, but this album has never been all that quiet to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.