A Christmas Carol/Scrooge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Batears52, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

he seems to be the winner!

JimC likes this.
  2. Michael

it is a great version...we watch it every year along with the others...

3. Michael

have you seen the George C. Scott & Patrick Stewart versions?

4. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Its on my "To Do" list....

Michael likes this.
  5. Michael

6. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

Found two more versions on youtube last night. One good. One not so good. I heart youtube.

7. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I just finished reading the Dickens' story for the first time. I've found that most all of the versions that try to stay close to Dickens' story, do so pretty well. There are minor differences, but for the most part, they are loyal.

If you are a fan of the story, I highly recommend reading the original book. It really makes Christmas merrier.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
    vinnie likes this.
  8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

We watched Alastair Sim today. I would like a modern-recorded soundtrack of the music featured in the film.

JimC likes this.
  9. Django

Django Forum Resident

Patrick Stewart , or the old cartoon version.

10. jonmayo15

jonmayo15 Forum Resident

Here's a great suite of music in the film:

11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Thank you so much. I did not know that existed!

12. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Watched A Christmas Carol for the first time last night. I watched the George C Scott version. It looked very film-like for a DVD!

13. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I read the book every year during the week before Christmas. I agree with you, each "true" version runs very close to the written story, but each seems to add something others leave out. After watching the Patrick Stewart version, I really liked his exclamation of "Cold...piping for the blood to dance to". And when I checked the book, sure enough, it was there, although I'd never heard it in any other movie version of the film.

CusBlues likes this.
  14. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I have the radio play introduced by Orson Welles, with Lionel Barrymore as Scrooge. Shame he wasn't able to do a film as he was a great Scrooge.

paulmock likes this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Recently heard the Welles/Barrymore version on the 75th anniversary of it's airing. SUPERB!

16. Michael

we just watched this version tonight! my wife's choice...we will watch the others before Christmas is over!

17. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I will give Alistair Sims his due for a most memorable performance that has obviously transcended many decades, but the first time that I saw George C. Scott as Scrooge, that changed it for me from that point on.

I love the fact that they filmed in an actual English town called Shrewsbury that looks remarkably like the story's time period on the screen. It lends a delightful authenticity to the exterior scenes . One feels that they actually are in the London of Scrooge's time. I also think that the supporting cast was very well chosen and their acting work is nothing short of brilliant, especially David Warner as Bob Cratchet, Frank Finlay as Jacob Marley, and Edward Woodward as the Ghost of Christmas Present.

But it is Scott himself who is the true revelation here. He plays Ebenezer Scrooge as a man whose caustic, uncaring demeanor and ill temper hides a man in pain, who is filled with sorrow and regret over the many bad decisions made first in youth , then throughout his life that have made him wealthy, but have also robbed him of any chance at happiness, and a tragically lonely man who still grieves over the loss of his beloved sister so many years ago.

It is subtly played by Scott but that deep well of internally repressed sorrow is expressed just enough that Scrooge is truly sympathetic character throughout the movie, even when he is at his worst. Scott transforms Scrooge into a actual living person who you can feel appalled by, but also feel sympathy for, making his eventual transformation that much more joyous.

This version of A Christmas Carol is my family favorite and my wife and I watch it every year as part of our Christmas celebration. And as we have a DVD copy, I will admit to you all that this year I cheated and watched it back in October as like a child carefully trying to pull the wrapping of a present to take a peek, I just couldn't wait any longer.

That did not prevent me in the slightest from enjoying it just as much as always when we watched it together last night. ...:)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  18. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Alistair Sims and Reginald Owen for me, just watched the Reginald Owen version on TCM.

19. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I love them all right down to Magoo's with (Razzelberry Drssing) to the Alastair Sim Version DVD that I have with Patrick McNee (the Avengers Mr. Steed on the Introduction) this version has both a COLORIZED version and the original Black and WHite Version on it. :agree: :cheers:
    My wife and I were viewing it a few minutes ago but had to put it on Pause to answer the phone calls and letting out of our dogs.

Not a bit of snow to be found anywhere and like McDonalds "I'm LOVING IT" :righton:. As well as the 2 new guitars and new amp that Santa brought me for Christmas. :D:cheers:

Michael likes this.
  20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

My beloved & I think Alastair Sim's portrayal of Scrooge to be the finest. That it is in black & white gives it a gravitas that later versions can't match. The subject matter demands lack of colour.

JimC, JFS3 and Beatle Terr like this.
  21. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

I agree that's why I have to watch both version's back to back which are on the same DVD.
    However Andy, it does give you choice in the menu of which version you'd like to watch be it the colour version with Patrick McNee in the intro or just the original Black and White edition which we all grew up with and love to watch.

JimC and Michael like this.
  22. Michael

if anything I miss about up north is a White Christmas...I love snow... always did since I was a kid...I enjoyed walking at night after a snowfall...quiet and so peaceful. My wife, son and myself used to walk to my mom's house after a snowfall...I would pull my son on his sled all the way...Mom would have some hot chocolate waiting for us when we arrived...ah, the memories...

Beatle Terr likes this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Have a listen to this amazing audio presentation from three quarters of a century ago! Orson Welles ability to orchestrate dialog, music, and pull out amazing performances from all of his actors is on full display! Lionel Barrymore is outstanding.

Orson Welles - Campbell Playhouse 1939-12-24 (42) with Lionel Barrymore - A Christmas Carol

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Beatle Terr likes this.
  24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Nicely stated. That is what has bothered me about the Sims portrayal. He isn't nearly as sympathetic as Scott's rendition (and in my mind the character in the book). I do really enjoy both versions. I just wish someday that they would remaster the soundtrack to Alistair's version. It is so hard to hear the dialogue.

Remurmur and Beatle Terr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.