A Christmas Carol/Scrooge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Batears52, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

has there ever been a complete restored version of "Scrooge" with Seymour Hicks?

2. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I have two versions of this film.
    The more recent on (Legend Films) has both a colorized and black and white version of the film, and both are listed as 60 minutes. Note that the IMDB website shows this DVD and lists the time as 78 minutes, but I have this exact DVD and it clearly says 60 minutes on the back cover. The quality on this DVD is not too bad, but not real good either. I would assume they would have done some cleanup before colorizing, but don't know if they did.
    I have another one that is B&W and says it runs 78 minutes and is by Westlake Entertainment. I've not watched this DVD for a couple of years because the quality of the film they used is not very good (no doubt public domain), but I seem to remember it has a few scenes not included in other DVDs of this same film. Note that the 78 minutes matches what is listed for the film on IMDB.

kevinsinnott and Michael like this.
  3. Michael

I have the Westlake and a DVD called 36 Chritmas Movies by St. Clair Vision...both have the 78 minute cut, but they look terrible! so, the Colorized Legend DVD is only 60 minutes? But IMDB says The Legend runs 78 minutes? can you please check your DVD for the exact time? and how does the Legend PQ compare to the Westlake?

4. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

The Legend is WAY better than the Westlake.
    And I actually prefer the colorized version, because it makes scenery and other things stand out more on the screen, rather than just blending in to the background in B&W. For example, the scene where Scrooge walks through the market is much more interesting, because you can see the turkeys and meat hanging at the polterers, whereas in the B&W I usually don't notice it because it all blends together. (I know some folks really hate colorization, but I don't mind as long as they also include the B&W, which legend does)

I just put the Legend DVD in my player and yes, unfortunately it is only 60 minutes :mad:.
    You think if they were going through the effort to colorize, they would have found the other 18 minutes of film.

kevinsinnott and Michael like this.
  5. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

My favorite of all time is this one.

Mr. H, Hawkman and guy incognito like this.
  6. Michael

Thanks for the info...I'll skip the 60 minute version...the 78 minute is wonderful...now we only need a restored version! Damn! Legend...what a missed opportunity.

7. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

My only copy of the Hicks version is the one included in the B&W/Color Sim version DVD set from VCI in 2007. It has the Hicks version as a second feature on the colorized disc, but it's only the 60-minute version. I've never watched more than a minute of it - it's too ugly-looking.

Harry

8. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Do you know how much or what has been removed from this version? I have the same DVD, and I watched it for the first time this year. It is very dark in spots, but I was able to watch the film. I've heard some of the film is missing.

9. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

18 minutes missing.
    Been a long time since I watched my full version because the quality is so bad, so I don't recall exactly what scenes are cut.
    I watch the Legend Films version, even though it is shorter because it is much more enjoyable to watch. The flicker in my 78 minute full version is really irritating, as is the lack of contrast/washed out print.

10. HGN2001

Youtube has this full version. The video doesn't look as bad as the one on the Sim DVD extra disc. A little mushy, though, on YouTube:

Harry

kevinsinnott and CusBlues like this.
  11. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Thanks, Harry. I watched a little of the beginning. It is definitely brighter than my DVD version. The introductory credits are different also. This version uses a book to show the credits. The DVD uses standard credit scenes.

12. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

My two film favorites (Hicks and Sim). If you've never head the Ronald Colman verison (directed by the Lux Radio Theater director George Wells), you're in for a treat. It's on CD on (of all labels) Deutsche Gramophone!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The VCI DVD extra disc you have is the same version that Mill Creek uses on their Holiday Family Classics boxed set. I downloaded the YouTube video Harry linked to using RealPlayer.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
    CusBlues likes this.
  14. Michael

OK, gotcha...

15. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

TCM ran the Hicks version a few times and it was disturbingly awful. HD did not do much for improvement. Reminded me of VHS. Was glad I caught it but wish they had given a bit of the history, if there is any to this production.

16. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW, after I downloaded the Hicks version from the YouTube link that Harry posted, I found that it is an MPEG4 file.

17. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

A friend turned me on to this version a few years ago. Next to the 'regular' Alistair Sim version, this is my favorite. It's perfect. There is a slight 'darkness' to it that really lends itself to the story. I would love to see a commercial release on DVD.

Moshe likes this.
  18. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I watched the George C. Scott version the other night with my wife. It is an annual Christmas tradition for us to watch it together on Christmas Eve, but this year we watched it a day earlier so we could watch the Alistair Sims version, which she has never seen, on Christmas Eve.

I loved the George C. Scott just as much as always.

Still my favorite version, though the Alistair Sims version definitely has it's own charms as well.

God bless us all...everyone ...:)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    applebonkerz likes this.
  19. spudco

spudco Well-Known Member

This year I got to share my favorite version (1938 with Reginald Owen) with my friend Jesus and his family IN SPANISH!

20. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I watched what (to me) is the best version last night, the one that I've been watching at Christmas since I was a kid: the 1951 Alistair Sim version. It was on CBC starting at 11:30 PM, and even though I've got the dvd, I just killed the color on the plasma TV and watched the CBC colorized broadcast. Still love it!

21. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Every year I switch off between the Alastair Sim and Reginald Owen versions. Last night was the Sim version, complete with a couple Christmas cookies and some hot cocoa!

22. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I saw the George C Scott one for the first time this year. He is very good and it's definitely a good version.

applebonkerz and Remurmur like this.
  23. HGN2001

I still remember watching the George C. Scott version when it premiered in 1984 on CBS and sponsored by IBM and its home computer line. I taped it then and watched that tape for many years when the film disappeared from the public eye, and then we picked it up on DVD and finally Blu-ray. Definitely a keeper for us - we watch it at least once every year along with the Alastair Sim version, which is our traditional Christmas Eve movie. And we did so again last evening.

Harry

applebonkerz, Remurmur and Benno123 like this.
  24. Michael

you guys should check out "Ebenezer" with Jack Palance (Ebenezer Scrooge)...a western take on "Scrooge" ...love it!
    I have a bunch of Christmas Carol/Scrooge DVDs that we watch every year...

25. Michael

George was perfect!

HGN2001, mmars982 and Remurmur like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.