A Christmas Carol/Scrooge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Batears52, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The Muppet version is surprisingly good. The Owen edition (1938) is TERRIBLE!

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Love it also. Some clever name plays - "Robert" Marley, Fozzie-wig.... :)

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Interesting, I feel the opposite.:)

4. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

IMHO the Alastair Sim version is the definative version!

5. Michael

VCI has 2 DVD's out...one has a colorized version, and the original B&W...the other has the B&W...

6. cwon

cwon Active Member

Alastair Sim. It gets the creepiness down right, and A Christmas Carol is a ghost story: Ebenezer NEEDS to be spooked.

7. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

No matter how many times I've seen it since I was child, I STILL get tense when Scrooge hears the chains coming up the steps and the door flies open and both Scrooge and his porridge go flying! I tell ya it still creeps me out when Marley screams and rattles his chains at Scrooge!!! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

And I actually have both. :shh:

I originally bought just the b&w version, and then thought it might be a good idea to get the dual version as well. Every now and then, I get in a "colorized" mood, though most of the time I'm a purist and want the black & white.

Can't wait for the someday colorized, widescreen, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround version... -no, not really! :rolleyes:

9. I have to go with Alastair Sim, too. By far the best version is with him. His facial expressions alone are great.

10. Michael

My wife likes the Colorized.:rolleyes: I like the original...we switch each year!...compromise! I love making her happy... :D :love:

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Okay, I'm curious to know: why do you like the Owen version and dislike the Muppets?

12. Michael

..not a Muppet fan, that's all... :)

kevinsinnott likes this.
  13. doubleaapn

doubleaapn Forum Resident

Alastair Sim, no question. His performance - especially in the closing moments after the appearance of the third ghost - is superb.
    This is great enough to watch in July.

Aaron

kevinsinnott likes this.
  14. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

I kinda like when he humbles himself before his nephew Fred's wife. :(

kevinsinnott likes this.
  15. taxman150

taxman150 Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly! While the Alastair Sim 1951 version is probably the best from a dramatic perspective, my wife and I always pull out the 1970 version as we find that the musical adaptation adds a lot to the storyline.

16. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow! 39 replies! Thanks!

I picked up the George C. Scott version last night at Target. I also checked Best Buy. The only other versions I saw were the Muppets & the Reginald Owen versions. I may pick up the Muppets next year, just for kicks...and I'll take a peak at the Owen version on TV this season just to see what it looks like...it's been a long time since I saw it.

I'm glad that the Alastair Sim version got most people's vote...and that it is still considered tops. I ordered it from Amazon...along with the re-release of "The Producers".

Thanks again! (But feel free to keep posting on this thread - it's a great story for anytime!)

Dexter

17. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There is the original 1935 Scrooge movie as well

18. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

We have the Alastair Sim, the George C. Scott, and the Patrick Stewart versions.

My wife goes through all of them, maybe even several times each, before Christmas is done.

My favorite is Bill Murray's Scrooged. :)

19. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I wish they would release Rich Little's A Christmas Carol on DVD.

20. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

That's the one!! :righton:

21. Michael

I have it...it's available in those bargain bins for $4.00!...not a bad image either...can't get enough of Scrooge on Christmas...

22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have the original 1935 Scrooge movie and the Alastair Sim version

kevinsinnott likes this.
  23. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

24. Michael

25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I vote for George C. Scott.

My only beef with Patrick Stewart is...I kept being distracted by his being Patrick Stewart (heck, this even kills "Excaliber" for me now!). I don't know why I don't have the same issue with Scott. For that matter, Magoo should be more distracting for this, but it isn't - it's an earnest, serious "performance"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.