A Christmas Past - Kino DVD compilation of early 1900s Christmas shorts which has been shown on TCM

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Dec 23, 2021.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Have any of you seen "A Christmas Past" on TCM or have this DVD? If any of you haven't, this is a must see, especially if one is a silent film fan, a student of film history and/or Christmas movies. The shorts featured are these selections, mostly from Thomas Edison.
    • A Holiday Pageant At Home (5 mins. 1901. Producer Unknown)
    • A Winter Straw Ride (7 mins. 1906. Edison Film Manufacturing Corp. Photographed by Edwins S. Porter)
    • A Trap For Santa (16 mins. 1909. Biograph Film Co. Dir. D. W. Griffith. Photographed by G. W. Blitzer)
    • A Christmas Accident (15 mins. 1912. Edison Film Manufacturing Corp. Dir. Bannister Merwin. Written by Annie Eliot Trumbull)
    • The Adventure Of the Wrong Santa Claus: An Adventure of Octavius -- Amateur Detective (14 mins. Edison Film Manufacturing Corp. Written by Frederic Arnold Kummer)
    • Santa Claus vs. Cupid (16 mins. 1915. Edison Film Manufacturing Corp. Dir. Will Louis. Written by Alan Crosland)
    • Santa Claus (29 mins. 1925. Presented by Mr. and Mrs. F.E. Kleinschmidt)
    • A Christmas Carol (10 mins. 1910. Edison Film Manufacturing Corp. From the novel by Charles Dickens)
    • The Night Before Christmas (1905. Edison Film Manufacturing Corp. Dir. Edwin S. Porter)
    To order the DVD: Amazon or Kino Lorber Home Video

[​IMG]

2. BradOlson

3. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

I used to watch this on TCM every year. I really enjoy it. It was something of a holiday tradition (my A Christmas Story, kind of) for me. I have tried to turn others on to this, but even some of my hardcore Christmas friends can't get past the antiquity of it.

I've been looking for a used copy of the disc for years. I am being patient because I know, ultimately, I'm the only one who will watch it. Niche titles like this one seem to rarely turn up second hand, but one day...

longdist01 likes this.
  4. BradOlson

The Kino website has it for sale for $8. A Christmas Past (DVD) - Kino Lorber Home Video Simply order it there and be content.

5. BradOlson

The antiquity is exactly a major part of what makes it appealing to me.

woody, unclefred and longdist01 like this.
  6. BradOlson

I am glad that @Michael has learned about this from me.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I learn about a lot of cool things from you my friend...
    MERRY CHRISTMAS! Thanks so much.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. BradOlson

Thanks. Merry Christmas.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed! : ) hope you have a very Merry Christmas too! Just can't say it enough! great times here at the Forum!.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. BradOlson

Guess what, this thread allowed the remaining DVD copies to sell out at the Kino website

11. BradOlson

MovieMars has just shipped my copy of this DVD and they do have 1 copy left. Movie Mars

I credit my promotion of this to cause this demand. I have even posted about this on Facebook as well.

12. BradOlson

Kino's website has this back in stock: Kino Lorber Home Video

Essential stuff

longdist01 likes this.
  13. BradOlson

A Trap For Santa is the best film in this collection, IMO.

14. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you again Brad, a wonderful collection for Christmas to enjoy.

and very Merry Christmas to you too!

BradOlson likes this.
  15. BradOlson

You too. While A Trap For Santa is the best film in the collection, all of them are great and you are watching these for what they are. In short, this is a classic film delight from the early 1900s. The antiquity is a major part of what makes this collection what it is.

16. BradOlson

17. BradOlson

The DVD is no longer in print, BTW.

18. BradOlson

The individual shorts are in the public domain though due to the age of the films.

19. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Currently in the Watch TCM app.

20. woody

woody Forum Resident

I watched it on Christmas Eve. The first hour+ is a bit of a hard watch, imo. The girls’ hayride was mayhem in a good way, though. Once they get to Santa’s offseason things really impove.

21. BradOlson

Still, this is a delight to watch as a whole. Very few of the shorts are those I would watch separately. A Trap For Santa for one and the ones in the last portion.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

OK, I officially count these as Christmas films.

23. skyjelly

skyjelly Forum Resident

This collection is currently on the Watch TCM app. My favorite is "A Winter Straw Ride". Watching people frolic in the snow over 100 years ago is priceless. I believe it also has the very first snow whitewashing ever captured on film. I enjoyed this so much I showed it to my daughter on Christmas day. It was great to see her realize that, while times change, the things people enjoyed doing in winter then are pretty much the same as now.