"A Christmas Story" - 20th Anniversary Edition to be released in widescreen!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thanks guys. We'll just have to wait and see what ends up on the DVDs.

Donald, I also avidly taped Warner cartoons from KREM TV, CBS Channel 2, in Spokane in the late 1980s. They used to run them Monday to Saturday at 6.00 am Pacific, 7 here. Half hour, 3 cartoons. Bugs Nips The Nips, the Inky cartoons, The Bashful Buzzard, no Coal Black though. When The Bashful Buzzard cartoon was released in September, 1945, theatre owners were told not to show it to their Italian patrons according to the first Beck/Friedwald book.

BTW, I have over 500 of these cartoons on tape, but most were recorded at EP. What was I thinking?? I do have Bugs Nips, Bedtime For Sniffles and a few at SP. But the broadcast prints of these cartoons were very poor to begin with. Most of them had the generic "Blue Ribbon" intros and extros attached to them. In doing that they removed the proper credits from the front of the cartoons, sometimes mislabeling a Looney Tune as a Merry Melodie. And the generic ending removed the Porky Pig, "That's all folks!" end tag as well. Let's hope that Warner was able to restore the original credits to all the cartoons they remastered.

2. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Fortunately, I taped about 30 TDK EHG tapes (with about 18 cartoons on each) at SP mode. Unfortunately, they are all now gone. The quality was not great at the time, but at least TNT used the best available. Some TNTs had the proper intros, most did not. Some of the Nickelodeon ones had the proper title card, but no intro (or a custom made Nick one). There are web sites out there that detail this stuff down to the minutia level.

I once saw BBNTN dubbed in Spanish! (a Spanish station would air mostly public domain LT and MM, and that was one of them!)

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, you just brought a smile to my face - I remember these broadcasts. I used to watch them every morning when I was a little kid. Looney Tunes at 6, then the news came on at 6:30, so it was time to get ready for school (all the morning news broadcasts in town are now two hours long, though, and start at 5 am).

I was a bit miffed, though, when the 'toons were replaced with "The Super Mario Bros. Super Show."

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

The Warners toons will be uncensored - how do I know? Heck, I visit Jerry Beck's site and there's an email link to ax him questions! The naughty censored 11 (or is it 12?) - I'll let someone else ask about those. Uncut Tom and Jerry's from 1940-1949 will also be out in 2004 - then we can dump the 2 DVD comps out now from the worn/scratchy prints... http://www.cartoonresearch.com/index.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.