A Collection of Beatles Oldies ... But Goldies!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fboothco, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

Do you mean tracks that were previously included in albums? Then I wonder why "Yesterday" and "Michelle" were included, since they weren't even released as singles in UK, albeit they were very popular songs.

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

“Nice Ferrari. Too bad somebody stole the engine” :p

3. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Steve, excellent post, and it hits the nail on the head on this release. In the late sixties, I managed a large record store
    here in Milwaukee, and we carried UK (and German) imports. And this album caught my attention right away. And
    for me, a stereo collector, it was a revelation getting so many tracks in true stereo. Was the sound quality
    all that great? Not really. But getting Paperback Writer in stereo for the first time (among others) was
    easily worth the price of admission....

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Seeing the import LP's and 45's at Lewin's in the late 1960's was amazing to us. The different cover art (Aftermath), the different (and usually longer) track selection, the unknown songs (Bee Gees "Barker Of The UFO" 45 B side) and so on and so on. The problem? The stuff was just too much money. I got two dollars a week and so did my friend. A regular album was $2.98 and a British or German import was almost $8.00. That tapped us out so we decided to simply share. We bought the EP of MMT, British Aftermath, Help!, all the neat albums and some of the stereo German Odeon EP's. That was probably the last time I ever truly listened to a Capitol Beatles' record.

Still cannot do it without curling my lip in disgust..

5. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

That's the availability bias. Now fans tend to talk about the greatness of "Paperback Writer" in mono. In my case, always give me stereo (excepting twin-track recordings).

6. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Beatles For Sale? 1964

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I had a copy....what Steve said.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

My analysis is that you bought the album as an import and that the album features various hit songs as performed by The Beatles.

9. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It looks like they're (Beatles) in a studio when the back cover of Revolver has one of the alternate color shots...when I was a kid, staring at the back cover as it played ("it", being the Capitol album in the late 60's on my RCA 6"-platter phonograph), it looked to me like they were sitting/standing in a dark parking lot. And just to add another tidbit of unrelenting excitement, the back cover photo of Oldies but Goldies in Greece was in black and white.

Man at C&A likes this.
  10. bill44

bill44 Forum Resident

A Collection of Beatles Oldies… But Goldies was one of the first EMI LPs to have a colour back cover:

[​IMG]

Is this the first instance of lip hair on a Beatle issue?

DK Pete likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That looks drawn on!

NumberEight and bill44 like this.
  12. bill44

bill44 Forum Resident

Ha! You may be right. Never saw George with the Don Ameche look before.

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

a-collection-of-beatles-oldies-but.html

For the rear cover a colour photograph by Robert Whitaker was chosen. It was taken on June 30, while on tour in Japan. Before the first show in the Nippon Budokan Hall they started an oil and watercolors painting on a large paper.

[​IMG]
    A Collection of Beatles Oldies back cover - Robert Whitaker
    Bob Whitaker witnessed how, after the concert, the four of them continued working on the painting while listening to acetates of Revolver and smoking some pot. A different picture from the same evening is reprinted in 'The Beatles Anthology' book.

[​IMG]
    The Beatles are painting in Japan - Robert Whitaker
    [​IMG]
    The finished painting was called "Images of a woman"

[​IMG]
    In Japan, they realised that the photo was in reverse, so they reversed it back.

Simon A, goer, zobalob and 10 others like this.
  14. Odradek

Odradek Forum Resident

When I saw this for the first time in the record collection of one of my cousins, aged 12 or 13, I thought George was John, because Beatle + round glasses = John. It was my mom, not a Beatles fan and already 30 when the LP had come out, who had to break it to me that it's George.
    Cliff Richard's Summer Holiday LP had a colour back cover and a custom inner sleeve already in January 1963, more than three years before that.

15. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Ah. I should have specified non-gatefold. :)

forthlin likes this.
  16. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Nice one!

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Post of the year!

:laugh: :biglaugh: :laugh:

18. john lennonist

I'm pretty sure (though not positive) that the Japanese AP pressing (from around 1969 or so) has the whispering intro to "I Feel Fine."

Pretty rare that.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    6stringer and DK Pete like this.
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

True.

But due to the interior flipback construction of the gatefold cover, the interior of the gatefold was sort of like the rear. And that was black & white.

Man at C&A, forthlin and NumberEight like this.
  20. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I was giving a listen to my DMM German copy of the red album last night and it’s actually on there.

21. john lennonist

UK Aftermath was the first import LP I ever bought.

Even though I lived near a huge Tower Records store, I don't recall them getting any imports until the mid-70's (though I may be mistaken about that).

DK Pete likes this.
  22. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

That's a great story!

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Mine was Please Please Me…bought it the very first time my eyes laid sight on UK imports. A sunny Saturday afternoon in the very early 70’s…I didn’t even know it existed…great cover.

Shaker Steve likes this.
  24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

The only Capitol or EMI 60s Beatles LP I never bought. By the time I became aware of it the Red and Blue collections had made it pretty pointless as far as I could tell.

Bingo Bongo and DK Pete like this.
  25. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I looked closer and it looks like a scuff mark on the cover.

bill44 likes this.