A Collection of Beatles Oldies ... But Goldies!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fboothco, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I think the fake stereo mix of I Feel Fine on the German Beatles '65 is a unique remix from the mono UK mix. It fades longer than the US mono mix and has much less reverb. It's duplicated on The Bealtes' Greatest comp.

Saint Johnny and DK Pete like this.
  2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Or Something New.

EdogawaRampo and DK Pete like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Interesting….been a while since I put on Beatles Greatest as well. Any thoughts on She’s A Woman?

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

.. And I Love Her.

5. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Steve said somewhere that the stereo Beatles Beat was made with tapes from Capitol. While some tracks may very well be copies of Second Album dubs, some tracks come from other sources: I Want to Hold Your Hand is true stereo, and I don't believe the stereo mix of From Me to You had been issued in the States by the time the stereo Beatles Beat was released in Germany (1969).

john lennonist likes this.
  6. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

You naughty boy ;).

Simon A and lordcat like this.
  7. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I have a mid 1970's Parlophone re-press of the stereo. It sounds okay at best.
    I also have the "Doctor's" 2 CD stereo and mono needle-drops.
    Also, I made a single CD playlist/CDR of the mono and stereo from the 2009 CDs. It's fun to listen to in the car.

8. lordcat

lordcat Forum Resident

That was a good time, mid 80's my library had 'Magical Mystery Tour', '67-70' all on cassette, brilliant.
    Sadly not much else.

9. eeggddss

eeggddss Forum Resident

I believe it's still the only place to get the 1966 mock stereo mix of She Loves You.
    The other four stereo mixes from that time (I Want To Hold Your Hand, We Can Work It Out, Day Tripper, Paperback Writer) were used for the 2009 Past Masters I think.[/QUOTE]
    I recently listened to a Spain pressing of this album, supposedly from 1978, and has the mock stereo of She Loves You, but a TRUE STEREO of From Me to You!

DK Pete likes this.
  10. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

It needs a proper reissue.

DK Pete likes this.
  11. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

Because I had heard “bad boy” on the ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC 2 LP set, I already had that track. I hadn’t heard most of those songs anyway, so it was all new to me really.

I did come across a very cheap 1979 Australian reissue of the LP and bought it for the cover.
    Some of the Australian reissues had orange labels with black type face and others had a black label with silver typeface. Mine has the orange label, like my ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC set does.

I didn’t have most of the Beatles singles hits, as I didn’t have any compilation albums like the red or blue at that point. That changed when I bought ‘Past Masters’ on CD sometime in the early 90’s, I suppose.

I’m glad to have it for the cover and I will take it out and give it a play, as a result of reading this very interesting thread. Thanks for the reminder.

DK Pete likes this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I can't speak towards Oldies because it's not a great sounding album to start. But I have a few Beatle albums on the Australian orange Parlophone from the seventies and they sound great....lots of breathing room.

john lennonist and aussievinyl like this.
  13. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Left (sold) my copy to my brother when I moved from Omaha back to L.A. in 1973.

Although I have all the tracks on other sources, I would still buy it on CD for the sentimental value.

DmitriKaramazov and Bingo Bongo like this.
  14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Knowing Apple they'd use the 2009 remaster versions.:mudscrying:

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

OK.

16. Kloon

Kloon Forum Resident

Bought a copy with an EMI sticker on the cover. Is that homemade or official?
    [​IMG]

john lennonist, DK Pete and JeffMo like this.
  17. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

First Beatles album I ever owned. 1980 Christmas present.

An excellent summary of their early british singles. I wish Bad Boy had been left off, though. I think that may have introduced me to the concept of ‘skip’ tracks.

The back cover photo had me thinking George was John.

DK Pete, NumberEight and Hombre like this.
  18. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

I've had / have a few different copies of this LP...including an original mono Parlophone.
    The best sounding version on my system is a 2 box Parlophone HTM x 2.

richarm and DK Pete like this.
  19. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

All the #1 UK singles up to 1966 plus the clever addition of two popular ballads: "Yesterday" and "Michelle".

I agree "Bad Boy" seems to be out of place there, though it may have been the main reason to buy the album for some British fans.

My own reduced 20-tracks version of the Red Album does include all the songs from Oldies minus "Bad Boy", adding "Love Me Do", "Please Please Me", "Norwegian Wood", "Nowhere Man" and "In My Life".

DK Pete and NumberEight like this.
  20. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Bad Boy was definitely a draw. But in those days my schoolboy budget didn’t stretch to buying an LP for just one track…:cry:

Hombre likes this.
  21. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

Official. The same sticker was on many French EMI records over here. It was on the "Half Price" records I think.

Kloon likes this.
  22. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Woo-hoo, another Beatles thread revived! :shh:

Kloon and DK Pete like this.
  23. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

The back cover photo is reversed on most pressings.

I do think one or two countries had it correctly... or maybe EMI realized their mistake and fixed it on later pressings. :confused:

(Actually, I just took a look at my Japanese AP (circa '69 - '73) pressing, and I think it's correct on that pressing.)

BTW, "Bad Boy" is the main reason to have this, AFAIC.

Last edited: May 20, 2022
    NumberEight and DK Pete like this.
  24. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

How does your copy sound?
    Are these the standard UK mixes or did Electrola use alternate German mixes (I Feel Fine, IWTHYH)?
    I'm tempted to buy a green label from the 80's for the sake of completion.

Kloon and DK Pete like this.
  25. Kloon

Kloon Forum Resident

I was actually a bit suprised over how good this pressing sounded. It is listed as a dutch pressing. I'm pretty sure these arent uk mixes.

This is the exact pressing:
    The Beatles - A Collection Of Beatles Oldies

goer likes this.