A defense of Mike Love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 80steen, Apr 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

Keeping The Beach Boys going through the most difficult times would likely include when Carl was struggling with his own drug problems and after he passed away.

Boom Operator likes this.
  2. AMDG

AMDG Forum Resident

I disagree. In the vast majority of songs that Mike sings lead in his vocal is the most unimportant part of the song. Mike’s background
    and bass harmony vocals are more important to the song’s success.

Take “California Girls”. Is Mike’s vocal more important than the composition, the musical arrangement, the vocal arrangement, or the lyrics? No.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  3. AMDG

AMDG Forum Resident

I am referring to the touring Beach Boys from 1964 through 1975 (after which Mike took a more prominent role) and in the studio between 1967 and 1973 where, when Brian was absent, Carl was the boss.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  4. erikdavid5000

Can’t argue with that!

5. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

It's OK to just admit you hate Mike Love. He's part of the important overall sound. You're just picking apart him in isolation.

rednoise likes this.
  6. AMDG

AMDG Forum Resident

Mike was, at best, the 4th best lead vocalist in the band. I can see Brian, Carl, or Al taking most of Mike’s leads and doing as well,or even a better job. Can you name a lead vocal by Brian, Carl, or Al that would have been enhanced by a Mike lead vocal?

jwb1231970 and oldsurferdude like this.
  7. erikdavid5000

Huh? Trafficking in what if’s and imaginary alternate realities doesn’t erase Mike and his accomplishments with the band.

But I’ll play:

I much prefer Mike on the Wouldn’t It Be Nice bridge than Brian on the stereo version. His voice has attitude and punch that Brian does not. I also love his voice there because it kind of reminds us, in a cool way, that it’s still The Beach Boys.

Al sang California Saga: Part 3 on the C50 tour and didn’t sound as good as Mike. Same thing: the punchiness and personality wasn’t there.

Not going anywhere near Carl here because no one had his magical voice.

Bringing Dennis into the mix, his vocal on the alternates of All I Want To Do pale next to the released version with Mike on lead.

Not to mention: being the 4th best lead vocalist …. IN THE BEACH BOYS ….., is that really much of an insult?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    MPLRecords, Shawn, rednoise and 4 others like this.
  8. Fred1

Fred1 Stuck in the past with one eye to the future!

I don't hate Mike Love.

He sings well and he kept/keeps the Beach Boys legacy going.

Let's enjoy their timeless and beautiful music.

ARK, Jana L, Boom Operator and 3 others like this.
  9. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Ed Sheeran, or any other mega-successful artist under 60
    Ted Nugent

10. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Wow, surprised 'Ted Nugent' isn't censored here.

11. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I saw Mike's version of the Beach Boys last Sunday in Tilburg, The Netherlands. Gotta hand it to the guy, he knows how to work a crowd. I went there thinking it was going to be cringeworthy etc - but came away with a new respect for Mike. Especially the first half of the show was great. Shame he felt the need to include his George Harrison ode "Pisces Brothers" and a horrible cover of "Here Comes The Sun".

Jana L, Shawn and Boom Operator like this.
  12. cosmicdancer

cosmicdancer Doin' it to you in 3D! So Groovy that I dig me.

I mean, things become very subjective at this point in the conversation. Personally, I think at least Brian, Carl, Al, and Bruce had better voices than Mike, at least in the technical sense. Not taking anything away from Dennis either, but his voice was great in a more raw and passionate sense. Still wonderful, but not the same in the technical sense. All that said, it speaks in high volume for Mike that, arguably, the greatest vocal arranger in the history of pop music continually chose Mike Love to sing on songs that became massive hit singles. Hard to argue against that. Brian was in total control of such things at that time and he continually chose Mike Love to be the voice of The Beach Boys in those early days that brought them their biggest commercial success. It’s good work if you can get it, right? Could Al have sung California Girls and have it still be the legendary song that it is? Could Carl have sung lead on I Get Around and still take it to #1? Maybe, but I personally can’t imagine any other voice singing those two songs, plus many more that Mike was the lead voice on. That really strong mid range cuts through the mix wonderfully and is very present within the dense grouping of instruments and backing vocals. Brian knew exactly what he was doing when he chose who sang lead on any particular song, so I don’t think you really have to imagine one member taking another members lead and making it better or worse. Brian chose the person that he thought was best for the job on a song by song basis and the results speak very highly of his decision making. Each of the three #1 singles made in that era (not counting Kokomo because Brian didn’t have a hand in it) have different lead singers (Mike, Al, Carl) and each choice is perfect. Again, very hard to legitimately diss a vocalist that someone with the talent and ear of Brian Wilson specifically chose to sing on legendary records.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The lead vocal is equally important.

ARK, Galeans, Mr Smith and 5 others like this.
  14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Tons of burnouts in the history of rock 'n roll. The Beach Boys were an exception while Murry was in charge. After his exit was when the band opened the door to burnout city.

15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Why would he be?

16. erikdavid5000

Would have happened anyway. Murray couldn’t be everywhere at once 24/7.

Diamond Star Halo likes this.
  17. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Is there a vid of that?

18. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  19. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Thank you, was the part you were talking about at the beginning?
    by the way, that was a great performance, is that Huey Lewis singing next to Bruce?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
  20. walrusz

walrusz Forum Resident

I had the usual basic bad opinion of Mike Love.

Then I began read his very enjoyable, detailed and self-deprecating autobiography, and felt my opinion change.

Until I got to the part in the book where he writes about his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame appearance.

It just didn't jibe with what we can see with our own eyes on the youtube video.

So not so sure about him again.

21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

It sounded like he was going to have a go at Washington politicians. So Carl cut it short.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  22. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Great post and a logical perspective. I saw them a few years ago at the Ventura County Fair and it was jam packed with fans. Although I certainly miss the Wilson brother's involvement, it was clear to me that the concert goers were into the songs and music regardless of who was involved in it. Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, were the only original members but the performance was superb. Everyone involved is getting up there in age so we have take what we get when we can get it. At some point in the coming future we won't even have that.

cosmicdancer, Jana L, Turbo2k and 2 others like this.
  23. erikdavid5000

Us humans can be pretty complicated people. I wouldn’t overthink it.

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

No I doubt that. More likely, he was preaching a little about peace.

Boom Operator likes this.
  25. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Well whatever he was going to say about his friends meditating in Washington, Carl certainly put a stop to it.

oldsurferdude likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.