A defense of Mike Love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by 80steen, Apr 22, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Yes, his interruption distressed Brian a bit, which is not cool. His speech, on the other hand, I rather like!

agundy and Hall Cat like this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well said. Those Wilson boys were pre-disposed to problems, as a result of their upbringing, which Murry carried from HIS upbringing.

3. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Thanks for your thoroughly useless non-answer to my polite question. Why did you even bother?

Which one's Scoot?

4. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident

I think you might be onto something. Being bald and having the nerve to be a successful rock star, right there makes you an easy mark.

There are a lot of horrible people in rock n roll but most are super icon cool types, so Mike kind of pays for all their sins (and his own)

Jack Lord, jpgr78 and Lance LaSalle like this.
  5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Because I call out disingenuous trolls. As to your 'polite' inquiry: "Beachies" , "ridiculous falsetto."
    Classic trollage.

Should have written scat, because that's what I think of your post. People engaged here are fans and swooping in pretending to be interested in the discussion while referring to the band as "Beachies" when you know the band's name and then to refer to Brian Wilson's falsetto, (something most fans flat love) as "that ridiculous falsetto", is, to use your phrase, "thoroughly useless." And I'm the one being polite here. I be willing to bet the majority of the people posting here would appreciate you moving along.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    starduster and Boom Operator like this.
  6. EdogawaRampo

Well...I don't know about that. There were a number of people in rock 'n roll with thinning hair and balding pates going way back. True, few or almost none were frontmen like Love (at least I can't think of any until...maybe Phil Collins...). I tend to think it's the reputation generated by the various narratives (deserved or not) that contributed the most to negative views. I'm sure there are lots of other things that played their part as well -- being anti-drug or mostly so at a time when that was seen as regressive and surely hugely uncool, the 'don't f-with formula' narrative, the dance moves (but I get a kick out of them myself), etc. -- but, again, these have nothing whatsoever to do with the sound of the music, the vocal blend, which, in the end, is the only thing that mattered. To me, anyway.

7. healter skealter

Well, that's 2 replies you've made, and I'm still none the wiser as to why poor Mike is so regularly vilified.

This place isn't just about fanboi echo-chambers, it's also supposed to be a learning tool. If you don't want to educate me on Mike's peccadillos, that's kind of sad. But maybe you don't even know what they are, Scoot?

8. EdogawaRampo

Geez dude, there must be dozens of threads on the topic, dozens of YouTube vids, on and on. Why in the f would I take the time to educate a "dedicated non fan"? Why the f would you care? Look it up yourself. Better yet, scoot with your scat.

Boom Operator and smilin ed like this.
  9. healter skealter

Niice.

Have a niiice day.

10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Probably true though bizarre considering a reasonable sized chunk of his audience would have been in the same position. Maybe he should have had some work like Springsteen or wore a wig and a hat like Simon or got some nylon hair like Elton.

11. erikdavid5000

That’s right. They see their own physical and behavioral faults reflected in Mike and it pisses them off. We’d all rather think we’re more like super cool Dennis or beloved genius Brian.

Ryan Lux, S. P. Honeybunch and Shawn like this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Oh Please! He has been with the band since the mid 1960's so he is original enough. Just like Al Jardin replaced David Marks when he left. It's not like these guys joined yesterday.

ARK, Jack Lord, Boom Operator and 3 others like this.
  13. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Actually Al was there at the formation of the group And yes he did leave for a little bit but he came right back

14. Frangox

Frangox Forum Resident

ah yes I have imagined the Beach Boys without Mike Love's Voice....Bruce Johnston could easily be the lead voice...his voice his perfect and a thousand times richer and fuller than Love.

15. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Mike Love almost quit The Beach Boys in ‘76

16. erikdavid5000

Any of them could have been the lead voice. This missies the entire point of The Beach Boys.

Boom Operator likes this.
  17. Mr Smith

Mr Smith Forum Resident

This isn't a thread about Bruce Johnston so I don't know what you're going on about. My comment still stands.

18. AMDG

AMDG Forum Resident

For the record a Brian Wilson concert includes more original Beach Boys and more people who have been Beach Boys than a Beach Biys show.

19. erikdavid5000

And I don’t understand why they don’t give Al more leads. It’s painful having to watch him stand there clapping along while Brian can’t decide if he’s gonna keep singing or not. Not a knock at Brian, but Al’s right there: utilize him!

20. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

It's just that he's so tiny Brian doesn't see him.

21. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

Yep, Hero’s and Villains.
    All I Want To Do is better with Mike on lead.

22. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

Murry was gone before they even had a #1 hit.
    In fact, they had their first #1 hit directly after his firing.
    Then their first #1 album later that year.
    Then several more years of success after that.
    Also, Murry was quite involved with the “Friends” album, and yet it was their least successful album to that point.
    I don’t think they’re is any relation between Murry involvement and continued success.

23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Murry arguably had the best intentions, but his approach was WAY off. He didn't want the guys to get mixed up with the Hollywood phonies, catching an STD, succumb to drugs and alcohol, etc. But, it happened to most of the guys anyways.

24. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Sure there was a relation. Brian burned out in 1968 when Murry was no longer watching out for him as their manager.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

At 1:20, Mike's kind of being a dick.

ralphb97, jpgr78 and oldsurferdude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.