SH Spotlight A favorite Beatle candid shot, right before "on air" at the Ed Sullivan Theatre..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

My favorite Beatle shot, right before "on air" at the Ed Sullivan Theatre..

Feburary, 1964: Right before the Beatles go on the Ed Sullivan Show live taken from the back of the set looking out! The press had two minutes to take their picture during the opening commercials, then, ON LIVE!! See the little curtain separating them from the audience?

Those guys looked a little scared during their first set. Can you imagine why? Truly the hot seat!

I love this picture!

Attached Files:

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Looks mighty hot on that set!

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Black and White can be SO COOL!

Thanks Steve!

4. AKA

AKA Senior Member

That's an awesome photo. Thanks for posting this, Steve!

5. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

They sounded really tentative during "All My Loving".

Great shot, never seen that one before. Thanks, Steve.

Evan

6. Ian

Ian Active Member

So very cool.

Thank you, Steve.

7. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Very nice - thanks Steve!

8. Steve Hoffman

When I was a little kid, I mean LITTLE, there was this show on NBC called "Ruff & Ready". They showed the Ruff & Ready cartoons of course but each segment was introduced by the host and two puppet versions of Ruff and Ready. One day in Jack & Jill magazine they showed a photograph of the set from the back of the studio so you could see the cameras, lights, mic boom, etc. That fascinated the hell out of me and from that moment I was aware of the hub-bub just beyond camera range; the "unseen show" as it were. This Beatle photograph is a great example of that same type of "unseen show"... Stuff like that still fascinates me.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Great shot Steve! It's now in the Beatles archives:) Thanks...A reality shot indeed!

10. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Yes, behind the scenes stuff has always fascinated me too. I have not seen this photo before either. Thanks for the post!

Steve

11. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

When I see all of the stage lights in front of them I know that the MAIN lights have not even been turned on yet. That happened just before they came back from commercial. Then it really must have got toasty!

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I did a spot on a TV show, when they turned on all the lights I could not believe the instant heat!..and bright!

13. Beatle Terr

Beatle Terr Super Senior SH Forum Member Musician & Guitarist

Yep that would be a rear shot alright :D !!! I wonder if Paul was wondering if he should count off "All My Loving" to just 2 or up to 5 the way he did. Gotta love em for that stuff back then. That's the stuff that amazes me!! :)

14. AudioGirl

AudioGirl Forum Resident

How could he just count to 2? The song starts on the 7th beat. Ringo's hi-hat intro to the song (on the German Greatest Hits album) is hit for exactly 5 beats as well. So, Paul is counting it off just like it was counted off in the studio, with the 6th count silent. He could not do it any other way. Well, I guess he could have gone "And a one and a two and a three" but that would not have been cool.

15. Beatle Terr

What was meant to be the count off of
    Ringo's Hi Hat tapping 1 - 2 - 3 - 4} 1 rest
    (count off measure) 2 beats Close your eyes
    (or half rest) 3 4 (downbeat of 1 in the 1st bar)
    THAT'S HOW

16. Steve Hoffman

Not enough counts to set the correct tempo that way. He's counting off for the others to hear. They all had to come in at once and at the correct tempo. No chance for a second start. I doubt Ringo could have even heard just two beats with all that screaming.

Can we put this thread back on track now, pretty please?

17. Beatle Terr

Sorry Steve, I didn't ask for an argument??? The song is only in 4/4 not in 5/something. This was all I was saying. It was the first time I saw the show when I was ten. I was already playing and taking guitar lessons back then. So I asked my teacher about the count off of the song needless to say I got the correct musical explanation of how the song should have been counted off. That's all I was saying :) back to the thread PRETTY PLEASE!!! :agree:

18. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

That picture is a keeper and as someone pointed out the main lights are not on yet!! I think they had very good reasons to be a bit nervous!! Than you for supplying the great photo Steve.

19. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Thanx - where did you find this? (part of me wants the truth - part of me wants to hear some far-fetched FBI style coverup, complete with giggles!)

20. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

I like how you can see Brian Epstein looking at all the photographers!

21. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Notice Brian Epstein off to the right? Cool!!! Thanks for the photo, Steve. It always amazes me, after 40 years, I can see pictures of them, that I've never seen before.

22. stever

stever Senior Member

What a cool picture -- where's George?

23. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I think Ringo is blocking George, who is probably standing in front of him.

24. Wasn't Brian always standing off to the side? I remember shots of Brian standing, in the Shea Stadium film.

A colleague of my older brother's (both science/reference librarians, University of Alberta, Edmonton) was at that show. Her uncle was some higher up at CBS and got her a ticket. She says it was sheer pandemonium. Kids screaming everywhere, her included I'm sure. :laugh:

Thanks Steve.

25. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Thank you, Steve. Fabulous picture!

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.