SH Spotlight A few angry (but sort of funny) notes people sent me about my mastering work, imagined defects.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I thought it was the worst sounding LP I ever heard on my Zenith portable in 1968.

Mr Bass likes this.
  2. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

The complaint about the mono sound on „Pet Sounds“ is my favourite:p

Exotiki likes this.
  3. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

The one about Purple's Made In Japan is unbeatable for me.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  4. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

That comment is also unbelievable. It would rather be a problem if the album is not the same:laugh:

5. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

I once returned two CD copies of Gaucho to the record store where I worked because of the tape issues on “Time Out Of Mind” that I didn’t know existed. (I won’t tell you what Customer Me told Clerk Me, but I guarantee it included strong language and sexual situations.)

Thankfully, I had a considerate manager who explained mastering problems in a way I could understand, as well as a shrink wrap machine to put those perfectly fine CD’s back into stock. I still can’t hear the track and not think “the customer is always right,” but only when I’m the customer.

noveltone likes this.
  6. Dondy

Dondy Forumaniac

Boy, postage was cheap back then, eh? :laugh: ....or the label guys were cheap... ;)

7. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Sounds exactly like this forum sometimes. :hide:

uzn007 likes this.
  8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Steve Miller Band:“Guinea pig on Jungle Love too happy not sad like I remember.”

9. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

lol what did you do to poor Art Pepper ??

lemonade kid and VinylCountdown like this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

"Too many sour notes." Classic.

hi_watt and roverb like this.
  11. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Not quite a return, but I did sell my DCC Fresh Cream CD because the stereo mix is so atrocious. At the time, I was accustomed to the late '90s remaster, which folds the channels in for a less wonky balance. I've since bought another copy of the DCC. (I guess you could call that a "return", heh.)

I tracked down the 2014 SHM-CD (supposedly a flat transfer) for the mono mix, but unfortunately it's not an improvement. There's no punch in that mix. (Admittedly, there's not much in the stereo mix either, but still.) Side two is sourced from a horribly distorted tape as well. This is an album that badly needs a remix - I hope the multi-tracks haven't burned in one of the many fires throughout the years. I know they were still usable as recently as 2005.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Our Sly Stone mono greatest hits disk on Audio Fidelity, got a note saying something like: Really bad stereo sound.

Ya think?

13. Malibu John

Malibu John Forum Resident

I used to work in a record store in Johannesburg, South Africa. One Saturday afternoon, a couple walked in and asked to return a copy of Ten Summoner’s Tales by Sting. I was not surprised.

Customer: I have never played this CD. I decided I don’t like Sting.
    Me: No-one likes Sting (I was a wise-ass in those days). It shouldn’t be a problem to exchange it for something else if it’s unplayed.
    Me (examining CD): This CD is heavily scratched!
    Customer: No, it is not. It has never been out the box.
    Me (opening booklet and several grains of beach sand falling on the counter): There’s beach sand in here!
    Customer (turns to wife): Honey, did we buy the CD before or after our holiday to Mauritius?

14. Maybe their speakers were out of phase.

15. Steve Hoffman

Or stuff was in the way, blocking a true mono picture. It happens..

Dan Steely and The Pinhead like this.
  16. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Maybe they forgot to turn on the surround mode. :laugh:

17. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

"I can't detect any stereo separation whatsoever!"