A few vinyl questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noba, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caleb1138

caleb1138 Forum Resident

For cleaning records, I recommend this vacuum-operated machine. This cleaning solution is what the manufacturer recommends.

I don't think you need a Zerostat. This sort of lighter works. Turn it on, wave it around the record a few times (don't actually touch it, of course), and static will be gone. As others have said, archival inner sleeves of the MoFi variety are the way to go.

The price of the record cleaning machine might be a bit steep at this point, but it's what I've used to clean my entire collection without any issues. There are probably cheaper options that could work similarly well.

Enjoy!

Noba likes this.
  2. First, great choice in turntables. I've had a couple of these. I have always used their pre-amp circuitry in the bypass mode. Due to the non-intrusiveness of the circuitry, it has worked out well with my 1970's quadraphonic system. The Discrete CD-4 records use a 30khz carrier frequency to split up the 4 channels using a special stylus and cartridge which has a 50khz ceiling.

After collecting records for close to 60 years, I have found that wet cleaning is the best and also is the best way to remove a static electrical charge. It is important that a record not be air-dried after being wet-cleaned. The vinyl record can absorb a static electrical charge from the air which in turn draws dust to it like a magnet.

Yes, it is normal for a record to develop a static charge while it is being played. It is caused by the friction of being played. Unless the record is grounded somehow, the charge will build. This is like when you rub a balloon with your hair, it develops a static change. I have found, the higher quality the vinyl the more likely it can develop a charge.

When wet-cleaning a record, just keep the labels from getting wet. It is also important to wash off any residual if the liquid cleaner leaves any. There are some idiots out there, and you can find their videos on YouTube, who immerse the entire record in cleaning solution without protecting the labels. There are a lot of choices out there in record cleaning solutions and many are similar. One of the most common uses distilled water, Dawn dishwashing liquid, alcohol and Kodak Photo-Flo. You can make it yourself.

Here is my experience with record brushes. Many of the carbon cleaning brushes actually create static electricity, because they are not grounded. An example is the generic silver-handled carbon brush with the pad in-between the brushes. Although they effectively remove dust, they create a static electrical charge at the same time. A brush that I also use is the one made by Audioquest. The gold metal part of the handle is grounded and as long as you are grounded , it can help dissipate a static charge. However, it doesn't remove dust very well.
    The brushes I like best are, the aforementioned Audioquest, one by Pro-Ject, a soft toothbrush and the built-in VPI on my RCM.

I have been using a VPI HW17 RCM for years, but if I ever would replace it, I would get an RCM from Pro-Ject. Also, the ultrasonic RCM's look promising, although they are expensive. If you are handy, you can build one by yourself. Vacuuming off the fluids are a necessity. Because of having 1,000's of records in my collection, an RCM is not a luxury but an essential tool.

Noba likes this.
  3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Are you serious Dove soap:confused:, no wonder you have to clean them again, the only method that matches this was my friend's wife uusing Pledge polish

c-eling likes this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I use Dawn Ultra Blue dish soap and a car detailing foam brush for mine.

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The resistance and hostility toward professionally designed cleaning fluids and gear in vinyl threads is to me a strange cultural feature of audio forums, and something I’d think twice about foisting on someone just getting their footing in vinyl.

Are there exotic expensive cleaners? Yes. Are there safe, effective, reasonably priced cleaners for those of us who are not chemists or people with expertise in the material science of vinyl? Absolutely.

Asking people to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars for turntables, cartridges, amplifiers, speakers, headphones, and audiophile LPs crafted by gifted engineers ? No problem! Spending pennies per record for purpose-built cleaning kit that doesn’t sweep you up in an exciting hyper-confident anonymous rando DIY world of dishwashing liquid and kitchen-sink formulations? “A ridiculous waste of money.”

:nauga:

The Disc Doctor - Record Cleaner Solution and Record Cleaning Supplies.

Robert C, nosliw and Pretorius like this.
  6. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

When you look at what a record cleaning machine actually does, it is nothing that you cannot do by hand. Cleaning solution is brushed into the record, rinsed and vacuumed dry.
    Why can't you do that by hand and achieve the same result?
    If I am wrong, I am happy to hear the explanation but nothing I have read on the subject has convinced me......yet.

7. Hardcore

Hardcore Quartz Controlled

I switched to a home made solution out of necessity. I used to buy AM Record Cleaner for many years but they changed the recipe, I presume because they were no longer allowed to use alcohol. The new formula was useless so I did some research and decided to follow the formula that has been passed down generations. It seems to be practically identical to the old AM formula, just a tiny fraction of the price!

Omarstringer likes this.
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I spent several years doing hand-cleaning with Disc Doctor cleaners and brushes and you’re right, you can get great results that way. You don’t need a fancy vacuum RCM to clean records well, though it sure is nice and easier/faster. The effectiveness of vacuuming is something that you can’t necessarily match with hand-cleaning and air drying, though.

Mostly I don’t trust the anecdata of the DIY cleaning formula chorus and the constant suggestion that retail cleaning liquids are overpriced and easily replaced with a bunch of McGyver stuff you can grab from your pantry and cleaning product shelves.

9. Nakamichi

I use 50/50 distilled water and white vinegar with a splash of dishwashing detergent. Costs pennies. Vaccuum it off with a Karcher window vac that I already had .Takes about 1 minute.
    Works very well,and to my mind does exactly what a £600 Okki Nokki does for a fraction of the cost. I am willing to be proved wrong but I ain't spending £600 to find out.

10. Hardcore

To be fair isopropyl alcohol and distilled water is harder to find than you may think. You wouldn’t find either in many retail shops in the UK.

11. Nakamichi

Amazon have the isopropyl and every major supermarket sells the water.

12. Hardcore

They sell deionised water, we spent a decent amount of time searching for distilled but didn’t see any in supermarkets.

I think I got them from Amazon or eBay in the end.

13. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Soap cleans up filthy records nicely.
    It's a one off.
    After this procedure you are free to use one of many methods.

Nakamichi and WDeranged like this.
  14. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

If cleaning is scary to you, I would suggest just buying a couple dirt cheap records, dollar bin stuff and trying on those first.

Also, how do you mean the record gets more static the more you play. Are you hearing clicks or distortion towards the end of sides?

Oelewapper, Noba and Hardcore like this.
  15. Pastafarian

Dove contains Titanium Dioxide and salt and probably other ingredients, which will be lodged in the grooves, try playing a record after just using a bar of soap.

The Green Elf and Noba like this.
  16. Pastafarian

Chemists, although you may have a problem buying the alcohol, although as a cleaning product and not looking like a alcoholic helps, otherwise Amazon don't care what you may be doing with it.

Chemists can usually get you distilled or deinonised water and it should be very cheap

Robert C and Noba like this.
  17. Hardcore

What I was mainly trying to say is that they are specific ingredients in specific measures that are proven to do the job well rather than just some random concoction of household cleaning products.

Being home made doesn’t mean it’s inferior when it comes to this kind of thing in my opinion. At least you know what is in it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Nakamichi and Noba like this.
  18. Thorensman

I use a 3 stage process.
    Stage one you are familiar with

I.use a LINT free cloth to clean when dry

This can take 15 minutes.
    Then I use Isopropyl alcohol and distilled water in Disco Antistat.i clean up with LINT free cloth
    Finally Winyl which I make myself
    Finishes off the process.
    This is highly effective and I have used
    This process for 20 years or more.
    Nothing comes off record during replay.
    It is highly effective.anf the proof of the
    Pudding is in the eating

Anyone who cares to send me a real.problem record will have it cleaned
    Free of charge and can judge for themselves.

Noba and Hardcore like this.
  19. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Folks, y'all don't know the secret and FREE liquid for cleaning records? URINE! It has PHOSPHORUS inside (as discovered by Hennig Brandt by boiling his own pee (which people brushed their teeth with).*

OK, maybe there are less messy fluids you might prefer. What I see missing from this discussion is much of anything about draining the static electricity. How should you best ground your turntable and other devices? Anti-static mats, anti-static rugs for in front of your equipment, doesn't anybody make some kind of a "touch this before touching your equipment" grounding strap? And yes, motion causes static charge to migrate according to the triboelectric series. Humidity in the air tends to "drain" the static away.

*true story, Hennig Brandt and the Discovery of Phosphorus

Noba likes this.
  20. Bogdanstanga

Bogdanstanga Active Member

I know some people do this but I would never put my records under the tap.
    Just get a professional wet cleaning kit that sprays solution on the records.
    I’m using GrooveWasher for over a year now and am very happy with it

Classicrock and Noba like this.
  21. Pastafarian

I still think it makes more sense to use the Antistat twice, as the other problem is the water supply in your area and it's salts content, that's why people use distilled and ionised water.

22. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Yes that's normal, especially during the winter when the air is very dry (below 40% humidity).
    Static charge is generated by the friction of the stylus in the groove.
    The newer records are, the more of an issue this is.

Noba likes this.
  23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If these are new Lps don't clean them at all unless you have an RCM such as the Okki Nokki. If they come new in black lined sleeves (rice paper), these are absolutely fine. I use the Japanese round bottomed sleeves to go inside unlined printed inner sleeves. The Zerostat is limited in effect from experience but can reduce static on new Lps or caused by using a Carbon Fibre brush. I you wet clean (correctly) with an RCM a Zerostat becomes surplus to requirements.

Please ignore people who tell you to put records under taps or dry with clothes!!!!! The Disco Antistat is useful for dirty used records and relatively affordable.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Noba likes this.
  24. Rob6899

Rob6899 Forum Resident

Interested in the homemade Winyl?

25. Thorensman

I will write down formula
    Found it in an old 1963 magazine,

Rob6899 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.