A few vinyl questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noba, Apr 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Is there a fourth category for people who get off on sound of the Hi-Fi? Wow, the sound extended way outside the speakers and the depth - that's incredible!

I once did a dem for someone who was going round on circles chosing an amplifier, his wife having had a clear preference 30 minutes previously. I played a well recorded piece of music and asked what he thought of the male singer. His wife laughed out loud as she had been listening to music and knew it was a female singer.

Whatever floats your boat.

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, I don't know that the 12 inches in a critical distance. The critical thing is to hold the record in free air, not place the record on a surface and then try to zap it. The latter won't work to dissipate static on the record's surface.

3. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Library of Congress uses deionized water in their record cleaning solution with Tergitol. I use distilled in mine and it works well. I think either one should be fine for cleaning records.

Oelewapper, Nakamichi and Rob6899 like this.
  4. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

People get far too anal about this stuff. You would think they were restoring the Mona Lisa rather than cleaning a piece of plastic.

csgreene, Sterling1 and Rob6899 like this.
  5. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

6. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know

Buying record cleaning fluid is
    Very familiar with prices on SACDs. They’ve always been high due to supply and demand. There’s sites where you can get MFSL overstocked SACDs for $19.99 _ their actual site is a solid place to buy. Some places are just too high and i stay away and wait on a deal to show up here or other forums. Rare CDs, especially Pink Floyd Japanese releases are the pinnacle of costs besides the infamous Aerosmith SACD that i saw someone owned several years back on here— its supposed to be priceless.

If someone can afford a CH D1, EMM, Esoteric, or Levinaon SACD/CD player those prices are relative to me buying a used CD for $6.

7. Omarstringer

Omarstringer No One You’d Know

That said — they’re great investment pieces to use for a few years and when they become OOP you can cash in. That’s what poor old guys like i do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.