A Ghost in my Machine?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Figment, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

2. timind

timind phorum rezident

3. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Yeah, that was all of one minute well spent :rolleyes:

kundryishot likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

5. Figment

Figment Forum Resident Thread Starter

I swapped out multiple interconnects all throughout this 8 month process. It was only when I heard a familiar noise did I associate it with a cable. The cable looked perfect, but there was clearly something wrong internally

Quoted for truth! I do not think anyone knows the emotional landscape of going through something like this
    @ Oelewapper - I had a Sumiko Cartridge that had intermittent channel issues at one time. it was all about checking the pin connections. That one was at least a recognizable gremlin

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

That's usually how cables die.

7. Figment

Figment Forum Resident Thread Starter

So, as long as I have had this stereo (about a year and a half), I have had a problem with the right channel dropping out from time to time in my analog chain. I thought I solved it by getting new turntable interconnects. The problem disappeared as soon as I got those new cables. Until last week. The right channel dropped out suddenly while I was playing a record, then came back a few seconds later. The next day I turn on the stereo and the right channel is completely out. I checked my cartridge connection and one of the pins looked about 1mm out, so I tightened it, and miraculously that action brought back the right channel. The following day, same thing, the stereo has the right channel out as soon as I turn it on. The cartridge pin tweaking didn't work this time, so I first switched cables from the turntable to the phono stage, then from the phono stage to my preamp. Still no right channel.

So I then hook up another turntable to my stereo chain, and both channels are there. I then decide I will take my turntable into the shop, but will hook it up one more time to its regular spot in the analog chain in my stereo. Waddaya know, the right channel is back. For now. Whatever the problem is, it is incredibly elusive.