A Golden Age Of Television...Its Swan Song?*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Bogenbroom, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'd never watch something like WD, but I do know what you mean and I agree. Everyone wants their own GoT but have so far failed miserably. Wasn't Marco Polo supposed to be Netflix's stab at this? It didn't work out for them. In fact, reportedly Netflix made a loss of some $200 million on this expensive GoT wannabe.

2. ronm

ronm audiofreak

50s-80s for me as far as network tv goes.

3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

There’s so many good current shows in Sopranos genre: Fargo, Better Call Saul, Narcos, El Chapo, Line Of Duty, Broadchurch, Bosch, Sneaky Pete, Goliath, Billions, The Deuce, Animal Kingdom, Startup, Lethal Weapon, American Crime Story, The Americans, Homeland, The Affair, Ozark.

4. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Well, I've collected shows for almost 40 years now and have tens of thousands. I can't do it with the touch of a button. I still have to reach into my vault and pull it out. :laugh:

yesstiles likes this.
  5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Circling back to the original post, it's hard to say what the landscape will look like in 10 years or 20 years. The Crown, for example, isn't cheap. I've only screened the first season and I loved it. Narcos can't be too cheap and it's also shot with Red cameras. Haven't completed Season two yet, but so far, so good. Would LOVE to have either of these on 4K (hard disc only in my theater!). Westworld doesn't seem low budget to me PLUS season 1 was released on 4K. The demand must be there for high priced content.

I do wonder if the era of the mini-series might hit the US market. Are mini-series more common in the UK? For some reason, I thought so. Anyhow, few will fail to appreciate Show Me A Hero or Olive Kitteridge? Perhaps a lighter budget, but high quality!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.