A good or best phono preamp under $700

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KoopaChaloopa, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

It is album dependent, the problem is in the vinyl, not in my setup.

Especially problematic at higher SPL.

Seems to especially be a problem on live recordings.

The pumping is what kills transients, not the filtering.

Used to be all setups had some sort of filtering available. The ones that don't have it now, are just using the "it effects the bass" as an excuse for not including one.

JustGotPaid likes this.
  2. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

[​IMG]

At one timeI owned 3 of these. They are absolutely amazing phono preamps. YOU MUST TUBE ROLL. The tubes that come in it are terrible. Veiled, no detail, no dynamics. Put even JJ tubes and they are wonderful preamps! I don’t still use it in my main system but I do in my den with my set amp and pioneer table. Ms-12b yaqin. $200- $300

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  3. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Ok, I think you have a problem in your system. Check your lps in another system with a right compliance configuration and see what happens.

And I disagree with your opinion with filters, but you talk like you already take a decision in it ... so, ok, we only have a different opinion :righton:

4. Phil Thien

I have multiple turntables. Same records played on a Technics linear tracker with 2-3 different T4P cartridges results in the same pumping. It is actually reduced on my DIY arm, as the elastic bands provide a means of damping. But it is still there, and when listening at higher SPL, the distortion of the double bass by a woofer that is pumping, is evident.

Again, this doesn't happen on all albums. But live jazz trios seem to have some LF energy in the grooves.

Looks like we have more than a single difference of opinion.

That is okay, though.

Mike70 likes this.
  5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

If you want all analog, find a used Parks Audio Budgie. Fantastic piece of equipment.

6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Even if your set up is close to ideal, many records have tiny speed bumps, bubbles, and barely visible warps that will cause rumble. It might not be noticeable at "normal" volume but it could be at high volumes in some systems.

Since I don't listen at high volumes, I can get away without using a rumble filter. I can also understand why some folks might need one.

macster likes this.
  7. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

That is a nice deal, wonder if anyone here has bought one yet? Be nice to hear some sound quality feedback, the designs look very impressive for the price. I'd probably still lean toward the most expensive one, but if funds were really limited, under $100 for a high voltage, all discrete, no feedback, built in the USA phono preamp is a pretty sweet deal. Of course, if they sound like crap, not such a good deal, but the design choices they've made give them the potential to sound very nice (IME).

The front and back labels bring them down a bit in the looks department, but professional silkscreening would add a lot of cost to small production units like these, so maybe a good tradeoff, I guess the market will decide. Definitely a nice option in the budget phono preamp market, a design philosophy that has been missing from that market in recent times.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Radio likes this.
  8. Davey

Oh, I see the MM-6 is now listed for $299, so $20 reduction on the MM3 and MM5, and $30 on the MM-6. Kinda makes me wish I needed a new budget phono preamp.

9. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

10. Davey

It has the better quality capacitors (WIMA MKP-10 in some places and other updates), gets rid of the trimmer pots and replaces them with trimmed resistors (not sure here, looks like extra pads on PCB for parallel resistors, plastic trimmer pots don't sound very good), and has the input J-FETS on adaptors, presumably they are higher audio spec NOS units that are in SMT packages so need thru-hole adaptors.

In any case, $200 is not very dear to me so I'd go with the one they say is the best sounding, that's pretty cheap in comparison to the rest of my system, but if I was using entry level gear with a $50 cartridge, I may decide differently since sound quality wouldn't be the priority.

Radio likes this.
  11. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

project tube box ds.

PooreBoy and DrZhivago like this.
  12. Donald Burger

Donald Burger Forum Resident

Funny I was considering buying a Yamaha AS701 and one of my biggest concerns was how good a phono stage it contained. After reading your post I'm so glad I opted for an Outlaw RR2160 instead. Nothing but glowing reviews about the phono section it contains.

13. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I am really impressed by the iFi iPhono2 for ca. 500€. It is has excellent detail and dynamics. And it is complete with multiple impedance and capacitance settings, it even has different RIAA equalization curves for older Decca or Columbia recordings and a sub-sonic filter, if you like.

The first editions of the iPhono2 before 2018 had a power supply problem, but that has all been sorted out since then. I am running mine since then 24/7 without any issues! There is also new iPhono3 Blacklabel but that is > 1000€.

Golfhead likes this.
  14. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Great value for money! I would then consider to hook it up with Pro-Ject Akku Box S2 USB as a power supply!

15. krichard2496

krichard2496 Forum Resident

Radio and Davey like this.
  16. Phil Thien

17. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Musical Surroundings Phenomenon 2.

Dead quiet and it offers lots and lots loading and gain combinations.

Dan Steele likes this.
  18. ranch 22b

ranch 22b Forum Resident

I recently bought a Darlington Labs MM-6 and now have listened to several album sides through it. Let me start by saying that the sellers offer a 30 day money back deal and I can already tell that this guy will not be going back. In the short time I've listened to it, in general, I'd describe it as rich, full and smooth sounding. I have an ear that can act up with an edgy or overly bright tilt and at least so far, it seems to love the MM-6 even at moderately loud volume.

I have grown fond of a Parks Audio Budgie (with upgraded tubes). I just switched out the MM-6 and put the Budgie in. The turntable is a Thorens TD-147 with a Denon DL-301 MKII cart going through a Denon AU-320 SUT. After playing the same album side, IMHO, I'd say the MM-6 has more bass and a firmer bass, with a little more emphasis in the lower midrange. To me, the Budgie has more shimmer in the highs and a little more open sound, though I suspect I could sub in some different tubes in the Budgie and have a pretty similar tone as the MM-6. I'm not sure about the bass. The bass on the MM-6 is quite impressive.

Of course, this from a guy with very limited listening to the MM-6 and far from golden ears. I will be very curious to hear what other people think of the Darlington phono pre amps. By the way, the folks at Darlington are great to work with. At my request they gave me a red on/off indicator light instead of the blue. (I have no affiliation with anyone at Darlington Labs).

19. Davey

Nice to hear that it's working well, I'd imagine it will get better as all the capacitors settle in, it has quite a few polypropylene film caps, and a few large electrolytics too. The Budgie is a little crippled in the bass because of the high output impedance, so that's not too unexpected. Keep us posted as you get some more time on it, thanks for the feedback!

ranch 22b likes this.
  20. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

This is what I own. No idea how it compares to other stuff, but it is easy to use and has worked flawlessly.

Dan Steele likes this.
  21. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

It depends on your personal preferences and table you are using (synergy). I had great results with an Arcam Rphono. This amp has many loading options, both for MM and MC mode. It's very quiet and sounds great. You can find these amps on the used market and save a lot of money to buy a nice cartridge or vinyl.
    The Rega Aria is a fantastic amp that does not only sound great, but also offers the option to connect 2 tables at the time (MC & MM). Lot of loading options to. You may be able to find one used for 700 dollar I guess.

bever70 likes this.
  22. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

Musical Surrounding Phonomena ii+. I have it for almost two years and absolutely love it. Dual mono, mostly discrete, dead quiet, and highly flexible in terms of gain and load settings. Perfect for any LOMC that doesn't require over 60db's of gain. Accommodates MM of course. MS also offers an outboard linear PS that takes it to reference level. Stereophile Oct, 2018 : Gramophone Dreams #24: Hana & Musical Surroundings

Up to now I've been using a Thorens with a Denon DL-103r .25mv LOMC. I just added a Thorens 148a a week ago that came with the Thorens AS 267 (AT-95E) MM cart which will be swapped out at some point for another LOMC. First go around was running the new deck directly into the phono input of a newly recapped Pioneer SX-1010 which came with a decent phono stage for MM. Sounded pretty good. Then ran the new deck thru the ii+. Big difference in a good way. Not at the LOMC level, but way better in terms of detail and clarity. Just another option in your price range.

VV

Dan Steele likes this.
  23. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I have several phono preamps including one that costs over $6K - a Zesto Andros Deluxe - and it has the same tonality although there are some things that are not quite as strong such as inner detail and air. BUT the Phenomenon is still a great value.

24. Leao

Leao Forum Resident

I have the Darlington Labs MM6 phono amp in my system now. My initial impressions are highly favorable. Very musical. Good tone, bass and dynamics. It replaces the built in phono in a Rega Io which I liked very much. Connected to a Technics 1210GR with a Vessel MM cartridge. The amp is an old hybrid Ensemble B 50 which I had stored away for years. The combination works very nicely.

25. James Lovell

James Lovell Forum Resident

Musical Surroundings NovaII on the high side Cambridge Duo on the cheaper side. Both operate way above their price points.