A great engineer and a great guy, Larry Boden, his journey from MCA Studios to Taco Bell & beyond

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Aug 7, 2013.

1. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

My cheeks hurt from that big, 8 minute smile I just had while watching.

2. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

So it looks like Larry Boden may be moving to Kansas? Great mastering engineer, hope he gets back to disc cutting. I remember seeing his deadwax etchings on a Johnny Burnette Trio comp from about 1978 on Solid Smoke records... his first and last name were etched in cursive on both sides, along with some other messages.... The liner notes on the back go on about how the original monaural tapes and the utmost care was used in mastering.... he even left in some false starts. Obviously he put a lot of care into his work.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Reopened by (my) request.

dee likes this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I know his book very well, yes (the expanded edition), and there is some very interesting reading here. I'll add that, while Larry wrote parts of it, it's largely a compendium of existing articles, manuals, white papers, etc. His book is how I learned about this Neumann turntable: Neumann Turntable

5. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

wow!

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

What a great guy. I wish more people were like him. Thanks for sharing this.

7. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

Great video! Sounds like an awesome guy. What's going on with Larry now?

8. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

hi_watt, McLover, Mike Dow and 3 others like this.
  9. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Are you saying that Bill Schwartau had hard time in his later years? I know nothing that happened to him after 1964 (untill his death in 1985).
    Could you tell me the story?

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am happy to see Larry Boden (LB) back mastering records in the studio. When I saw those two initials in deadwax, I knew that record would sound great before I played the first note.

11. Drummer2468

Drummer2468 Forum Resident

That’s a terrific, touching and inspiring story that I’m glad to have seen. I used it as a teaching opportunity with my 10 year old son.

Thanks for sharing Steve.

12. dee

dee Senior Member

Out of curiosity, have been looking at later reissues of albums and who may have worked on them after initial releases, and I was wondering if this 1979 MCA reissue release with a 'LB' not etched but stamped at the end of the matrix # would indicate the work of Larry Boden? Anybody know, guess?

Via Discogs...
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout A): MCA 850 WIO LB
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout B): MCA 851 WIO LB
    • Matrix / Runout (Cat# Label A): MCA 850
    • Matrix / Runout (Cat# Label B): MCA 851
    • Matrix / Runout (Variant Side 1 Etched): MCA 850-W3
    • Matrix / Runout (Variant Side 2 Etched): MCA 851-W4
    • Label Code (Variant Label Side 1): (MCA850)
    • Label Code (Variant Label Side 2): (MCA851)
    • Matrix / Runout (Variant 2 Side 1 Etched): MCA 850-W4
    • Matrix / Runout (Variant 2 Side 1 Stamped): TML-S [diamond-P-diamond] 1
    • Matrix / Runout (Variant 2 Side 1 Etched): MCA 851-W3
    • Matrix / Runout (Variant 2 Side 2 Stamped): TML-M [diamond-P-diamond] 1111

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  13. Artery1

Artery1 Forum Resident

I recently bought a near mint used LP of Joni Mitchell's Court And Spark album.

We played it just yesterday and were in awe of the sound quality and mastering. At the end of Side Two I checked the deadwax and saw the initials "LB".

Thank you Larry and the best of everything to you and yours.

dee likes this.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Incredible perspective...........thank you Uncle Larry.

15. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

What a decent human being, a heartwarming story.

16. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That w
    That was great. Just what I needed to see today. Thanks

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think Stevie's angling for an episode of Mastering Engineers In Cars Getting Coffee...:D

18. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I wonder when The Mastering Lab will be back in action, it's a couple of years since Chad Kassem moved it to Salina.

JG

19. dee

dee Senior Member

Anybody? To the above message, I'm not a total idiot reading matrix etc. but am far from being any expert. The LB above at the end of the matrix refer to something else or Larry Boden - perhaps it's a LB etch and not part of the machine stamp. Thanks for any help in the right direction. I recently specifically bought a few etched LB 45s made in 1978. This 33 would be from 1979. Thanks for any helpful info.

20. dee

dee Senior Member

I can answer my own question from above post. For any Who fans who didn't know, like me, LB did do the 1979 WBN MCA Coral reissue. LB initialed both sides. Upon my listening fwiw, vocals and therfore lyrics sounded real clear and distinct to me and with a tonality that I found especially appealing and effective. Seemed little to no 'interfering' frequencies with them either and if so perhaps the often wide stereo spread also aided their central presence. Electric and acoustic guitar detail at times seemed like they especially had a resonant and harmonic ambience to them. Enjoyable to hear. It was a fun and satisfying listening experience for me overall. Seemed like a well-balanced sound relative to anything else I listen to from the ATLP60 and older pair of Sennheisers I often use. Bass sound seemed more modest to me, more a close listen, so if one might look for The Ox to really thump and rumble and Moon to really crash and thrash around, I heard more restraint and subtlety from the sound of them, and enjoyed it. Guess I should try to clean the VG/+ copy I just got in case y'all don't have that LB from '79 already lol and decide you want it. I, fwiw, enjoyed listening to it. Found nothing harsh or shrill about it, energy still there, but perhaps a mellower and easier on my ears and heart (less 'thumping') listen.

21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Funny, I played the American Graffiti soundtrack over the weekend. Truly awful sound. Fake stereo on the monos, x or y generation tapes on the stereo, or z... Truly bad.

But fun for a "sound of the times" play.

Then, not having enough of hte 60's sound, I put on "More American Graffiti". A 1979 compilation from MCA. Was like night and day. This one was clear, distinct, mono was real mono, sounded like it was using 1:1 well done transfers for everything. Double album. I looked on the back: Engineer: Terry Brown. Mastered by Larry Boden.

So I googled him and ended up here.

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Larry Boden bumpie.

23. Any more news on how he's doing?

24. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Thanks Steve for posting and bumping! Never seen this before.
    Your original post video speaks volumes of what an amazing human being someone can be.
    The man has a heart so big that he takes it out of his chest and hands it to you on a platter.
    His sensitivity is so dynamic, no wonder he has affected the lives of so many.
    A real sweetheart.
    Wonderful stuff.

25. drift

drift Forum Resident

This made me cry. Great video. Thanks for sharing.