A great entry level MC cartridge: Audio Technica AT-OC9XEN

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oelewapper, Aug 11, 2021.

1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Get the OC9XML.

2. junkculture

junkculture Forum Resident

I tested loading options on my Art9xa a few months ago, and found my preamp fairly insensitive to it. Averaged frequency response also showed no differences (ranging from 60 ohms to 1k). I read somewhere that MC loading is often used to reduce RF interference, so I just set mine at a setting that has low noise (150-250 is good enough).

About the brightness, I haven't compared the ellipticals, but I find AT MCs to have more refined highs than their modern MM counterparts, not necessarily more or less bright.

Oelewapper and Davey like this.
  3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip!
    I've actually called them before (Channel Island in CA) but not about this mono cart hum issue, it has become a non issue as it is quiet with the Lehmann Black Cube SE2.

4. junkculture

junkculture Forum Resident

From a pure tracking standpoint it might not make sense, but MC gives you more options on the preamp side and isn't sensitive to capacitance, so you can certainly still get a more refined sound if there are no tracking problems on a record. For most people certainly the VM95ML is enough and compromises other areas for better tracking.

snorker and Oelewapper like this.
  5. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I suspect it was due to cost. However, even ML to ML, I have experienced a big difference in tracking ability between moving magnets vs moving coils, with the former being almost universally better in that regard.

HiFi Guy and patient_ot like this.
  6. Daicehawk

Daicehawk Well-Known Member

No tracking problems with at-33ptgii compared against at-vm540ml. Less surface noise, less crud on the stylus with the MC.
    The sound - I already said - MCs hands down.

Sterling1 likes this.
  7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

Is that related to a cartridge being MC or MM?
    I don’t see how, would make more sense to me if the 540ml is used more, since the more a stylus is used the more easily stuff tends to cling on to the tip.

snorker likes this.
  8. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Not sure how you tested them, but if that’s your experience who am I to argue! :laugh: I have long considered the AT-33PTGii. Looks like a very good cartridge for the price.

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The biggest difference in sound (imo) between an MM and MC cart is the tone, and sound-stage. MC sounds more natural.

Soundslave likes this.
  10. Oelewapper

Yes, I’ve been noticing a bit more of a 3D soundstage as well.
    But still very hard to come by, because the room is only 3 by 4 meters unfortunately.

Soundslave likes this.
  11. Daicehawk

Daicehawk Well-Known Member

I mean, less crud on 33ptgii due to stylus glued (round blob) vs slot-fitted naked square shank on vm540ml

Oelewapper likes this.
  12. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

Thanks for the write up! I would love to give this one a try, but I have become spoiled by the benefits of ML styli. It’s too bad AT no longer has the 15% discount, or I would likely buy the XML now (I’ve been wanting one for quite a while). I already have the older OC9ML/II, which is a lovely sounding cartridge.

Oelewapper likes this.
  13. Oelewapper

FWIW, according to HiFi Choice, this cartridge outperforms some more expensive ones from different brands:

[​IMG]

I tend to take reviews with a grain of salt, but considering the fun I've had with this cartridge, I think they might be right.
    I've never heard any of the other cartridges for a longer period of time though.

14. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Project Pick It DS2 MC cartridge :)

Oelewapper likes this.
  15. Oelewapper

16. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Have you used a Denon 103 or 103r? (sorry haven't checked your profile yet). The AT seems like a true competitor at this price point.(but different tonearm requirements).

17. Oelewapper

Nope, but I have been considering a Denon DL-103R in the past, due to its low compliance.
    The conical stylus was what eventually put me off.

18. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

It's no ordinary conical. It's a .5 and is of very high quality. I know a lot of people hotrod the 103's with exotic stylus profiles but it is a great sounding cart in stock form.

19. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

AT has always had a similar low cost elliptical moving coil cartridge, the predecessor in this case was probably the now discontinued AT-F7, though it used the similar looking aluminum and high strength resin body versus the heavier all aluminum of this newer line, and was somewhat cheaper in price. Just a touch of rise in the upper octave, but they were always great trackers, tested at over 90um @ 300Hz and 25cm/sec @ 1KHz back in the 2010 Hi-Fi World review.

Oelewapper likes this.
  20. Oelewapper

Just used my Ortofon test record.
    No audible distortion with 80um, audible distortion started at 90um, but it managed to do both 90 and 100um without skipping.
    That's even better than some of my Ortofon DJ cartridges, which are designed for solid tracking.

Soundslave, ubiknik and junkculture like this.
  21. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I wouldn't go over 400 ohms with these, maybe 800 ohm. It will be too bright, I've heard good things about this model and compared to the price of the Micro Line and Shibata versions it's a steal.

22. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

Regarding mm to mc and comparative with different stylus ... remember that the key factor about mc it's the motor, i mean, mc have much freedom and lightweight movement to the stylus.

So ... it's not the same an elliptical or conical with mc motor than with mm.

In that way, we cannot compare tracking properties in a vm95ml mm cartridge with a nude elliptical in mc ... you can be surprised.
    It's not only about the stylus when you go to mc, i think that's the key explanation about the 103R, even that conical it's a little better than a generic conical (.5 vs .7).

bever70 likes this.
  23. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Sidebar: I will be purchasing the ML/Boron version of your cart soon. Also the AT-LH11H - Universal Headshell | Audio-Technica as it appears its design can take exacting command of all Technics tracking error scheme parameters. Wondering if you or others have any experience with this headshell?

woodpigeon and mackat like this.
  24. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

I have an AT-LH13H, which is the slightly heavier version. It is a very nice headshell. The LH11H would likely work reasonably well with the OC9XML, but depending on the effective mass of the tonearm, it may work better with an even lighter shell.

Also, Knight Sound & Lighting currently have a $50 off $500 deal with the code SPLASH50 : Audio-Technica AT-OC9XML Dual Moving Coil Cartridge

I may buy one there as well, to take advantage of the sale.

Sterling1 likes this.
  25. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Thanks for the tips. I have a Technics SL-1210GR and 3 MM carts, each mounted to a stock Technics Headshell; and, those carts seem to work nicely; but, I am attracted to the aforementioned AT Headshell for the OC9 Cart and Headshell as it seems support an easier means to achieve desired alignment parameters.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    mackat likes this.