A great entry level MC cartridge: Audio Technica AT-OC9XEN

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oelewapper, Aug 11, 2021.

1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

So what's the latest review soundwise of this cartridge?

2. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor. Thread Starter

Well, so far, I've noticed that especially the soundstage is very good compared to MM cartridges I have.
    The soundstage has more depth to it, even in the small room I have.
    Low frequencies seem to be more present and sound more "hollow".
    It's fairly soft and less shrill on the higher frequencies, especially compared to a VM530EN, which is the MM equivalent that also has a nude elliptical stylus.
    It does pick up some surface noise, more than I initially thought... when compared to for example a nude fineline (Concorde Century or 2M Bronze).
    I still have to replace the stylus on my VM530EN to upgrade it to a VM540ML before I'll do a final judgement.
    In the near future, I'll make some hi-res recordings of the AT-OC9XEN, VM530EN and VM540ML, once the latter has been fully broken in.
    I think I'll make a poll of it and let people guess to see if the differences are audible to others as well.

One thing is for shure, and that is that this cartridge is great value considering it was only 250 bucks.
    So I can already recommend this cartridge to anyone who wants to try a cheap MC cartridge.

3. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

try it against the vm540ml :D ... we'll see what happens

4. Oelewapper

Just a small update, that it'll probably take longer than I had anticipated...
    Last week I ordered Wharfedale Evo 4.4 floorstanders and they arrived today.
    I've disconnected all components in order to rearrange it along with these floorstanders.
    Unfortunately, one of them arrived broken at one of the feet...
    [​IMG]

It was packed very well since I've ordered them directly at Warfedale Netherlands, but still the incompetent postal service managed to destroy one them...
    I was really looking forward to these speakers, but yeah... I have to be a lot more patient from the looks of that damage.

Not the type of break in period I had in mind.

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

How did that happen? There is massive padding at top and bottom of the box. Likely dropped from a great height. I can see marks on the front that look like a paintw0rk flaw I'm sure Wharfedale will sort it out. Your Dutch Postal Service is as bad as our Royal Mail Parcel Force. LOL.

6. Oelewapper

DHL Netherlands is probably one of the worst of Europe when it comes to heavy packages...
    I’ve had many complaints about damaged tonearm bearings when I serviced turntables back in college... I got fed up with it and switched to PostNL (the former national postal service before it became a free market), which is 20% more expensive, but actually tries to keep goods in one piece.
    Underpaid and overworked DHL employees love to throw packages around.

Most shops use DHL unfortunately... works fine for things like clothing though.

7. Oelewapper

Well the broken speaker has been swapped for a new one and everything has been connected.
    Sounds great so far, but they're so very different from what I had (stage monitors) that I have to do a second break-in for both the speakers and my ears lol
    Bass is much deeper and mids are much clearer (things like IGD have become more audible as well)...
    The ribbon tweeters are very directional while the mids and lows aren't, so the listening position has to get optimized.
    So there's a lot of work and experimenting to be done, but I like this kind of work haha

Ingenieur and ubiknik like this.
  8. Classicrock

They work best IMO slightly toed in. Also keep clear of walls even though port is firing from the bottom. Though they have good clarity they are pretty easy on the ear. Certain vinyl defects are not really tolerable with these or my previous speakers which had metal dome tweeters. The folded ribbon or AMT design I think sounds really good. I don't see them being bettered significantly without spending a lot more.

9. Oelewapper

Yes, definitely needs toe in.
    I think that’s because of the ribbon tweeters.

I think that’s the main reason why they’re a bit boomy in my small room.
    They will be moved to a bigger room in the near future.
    To me, the down firing port was one of the appeals, along with the soft dome midrange driver.

Anyways, I’ll do a separate “review” thread on these speakers :righton:

10. Classicrock

Put it here. Started this thread in 2019.

Wharfedale Evo 4.4 - New bargain in floor mount speakers.

Oelewapper likes this.
  11. Oelewapper

12. Oelewapper

Soundslave likes this.
  13. Oelewapper

14. Oelewapper

Technocentral likes this.
  15. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Have the tp16 mk1 arm, effective mass 16.5g, have and love the vm540ml but thinking of getting my first MC, would any of these AT mcs work on it, the oc9xml or the 33ptg/ii compliance wise? I'm get around 7 or 8htz using the 540ml?

16. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

Previous thread for more info ... Best MC cart for Thorens TP16 MK1?

17. Technocentral

Thanks I just saw your reply
    "But, it is fairly high compliance by MC standards, maybe 25cu, so not a great fit on a 16.5 gram tonearm. Cartridge weight is around 8g with screws, so resonance frequency may be around 6.5Hz. Marginal for sure, but workable, in my opinion. And the repro headshell may be lighter without the nut plate and top plate, so maybe closer to 7Hz"

I have a lighter tp60 headshell so maybe possible.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  18. Oelewapper

The compliance of the ATOC9XEN is lower than the ATOC9XML, so it might be a better match with such a higher mass tonearm.
    However, take into consideration that the AT “signature sound” is vastly different for MC carts compared to their MM carts.
    The opposite of the VM500 series; warm sounding.

19. Technocentral

Yeah thanks, I love the ml detail though if I could even get resonance of 6hz while not ideal I'd be happy. I had 6 with a 2 gram heavier headshell using the 540ml with zero issues so with the lighter headshell I'd say it would be ok.

20. Davey

In my experience with the VM740ML and OC9XML, they are actually pretty close in sound signature. We did a big thread here with poll comparing them, and after I got the capacitance down far enough on the VM740ML, the frequency responses are pretty close. In person, I much prefer the OC9XML, just everything about it is better, much more natural sounding, but after digital capture and then conversion back to analog, they actually sound pretty close. If you want to compare, I just reloaded the samples ... here is a post with more details on the recording, but you will need to use the links below for the files ... The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Dropbox - Aranjuez_VM740ML_MS.flac - Simplify your life
    Dropbox - Aranjuez_OC9XML_MS.flac - Simplify your life

21. Technocentral

Thanks I'll have a listen on good headphones later.

22. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

For what it is worth, the OC9XML is more than entry MC cartridge IMO. The XML is $650 vs $379.

23. Oelewapper

I agree, in terms of best bang for the buck, I would think the XEN is a better deal.

24. Davey

Except I can buy the AT-OC9XML for €453.96 right now, delivered to the US from Germany (the Euro is the same value as the USD right now).

25. Oelewapper

Wow really?
    Thakker?
    Last time I looked it was about €550