A-ha- Album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

2. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I have the 2010 two-disc expanded Hunting High and Low — can anyone point me to discussion of the four-disc deluxe? Can’t figure out if I should spring for that one. Thanks.

3. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

The four disc deluxe is a budget version of the 2015 super deluxe (included a book, big box and additional DVD). I don’t own this physically but have checked out the content on Spotify. It is interesting.

Edit: No own thread for it on this forum as far as I can see. Try searching around the fall 2015 in this album by album thread perhaps?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Does anyone have Magne’s new Christmas album on vinyl? Is it a decent pressing?

5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I took a gamble and got the Magne Xmas album on vinyl but again, dodgy pressings meant 2 copies have constant ticks throughout the track Hells Bells. The music sounds great but I’m going to get my money back and grab a torrent.

6. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

7. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Just taken delivery of a copy today. Mine sounds mostly fine. One click near the start of side 4. More importantly it is a pretty strong album and only very notionally a Christmas record so will stand up to listening outside of the festive season. Glad I picked it up..

D.B. likes this.
  8. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

That’s interesting, who did you buy your copy from and how is Hells Bells?
    I really like the album so would love to get a decent copy but figured if 2 copies have the same fault it’s likely the whole pressing. Rough Trade are advertising a black vinyl version but I’m guessing this is a mistake as I’ve only seen it as a white vinyl release.

9. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

From Amazon, which means I also got a free Mp3 download too, which I have not listened to yet. Didn't notice anything untoward on Hells Bells but I may not have been paying it my full attention. Even so I am usually pretty alert to clicks and pops on new vinyl even if I am multitasking whilst listening, hence noticing the click on side 4.

D.B. likes this.
  10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Mine were from Amazon too but you’d notice this fault, it clicks on practically every rev throughout the entire song.

11. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

There's a Japanese Greatest Hits + DVD out now, thats exclusive to Japan:

a-ha / Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection / exclusive CD+DVD set | superdeluxeedition

[​IMG]
    NEWS
    a-ha / Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection / exclusive CD+DVD set
    January 24, 2020 by Paul Sinclairtags: 1980s, a-ha

Japanese compilation offers singles on CD and DVD
    Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection is a new a-ha release which features a CD of hits and a DVD of videos.

The CD selection looks familiar enough, although actually this particular combination of 45s is actually unique to this set and isn’t just repeated from previous compilations such as Headlines and Deadlines, 25, or Time and Again. The DVD however, appears to be identical to the one included in the three-disc deluxe edition of the 25 compilation issued in 2010 (the DVD will be all-region/NTSC).

CD

1 Take On Me
    2 The Sun Always Shines On TV (Single Mix)
    3 Train Of Thought (Remix)
    4Hunting High And Low (Remix)
    5 I’ve Been Losing You
    6 Cry Wolf
    7 Manhattan Skyline (Edit Version)
    8 The Living Daylights
    9 Stay On These Roads (Edit Version)
    10 The Blood That Moves The Body
    11 Touchy! (UK DJ Edit)
    12 You Are The One (Remix)
    13 Crying In The Rain
    14 Waiting For Her
    15 Move To Memphis (Single Version)
    16 Dark Is The Night For All
    17 Shapes That Go Together
    18 Summer Moved On (Radio Edit)
    19 Forever Not Yours (Single Mix)

DVD (all region, NTSC)

1 Take On Me
    2 The Sun Always Shines On TV
    3 I’ve Been Losing You
    4 Manhattan Skyline
    5 Stay On These Roads
    6 Crying In The Rain
    7 Dark Is The Night For All*
    8 Move To Memphis
    9 Shapes That Go Together*
    10 Angel In the Snow*
    11 Summer Moved On*
    12 Minor Earth, Major Sky*
    13 Lifelines*
    14 Did Anyone Approach You?*
    15 Velvet (European Cut)*
    16 Butterfly, Butterfly (The Last Hurrah)
    17 Take On Me (1984 Version)

(First time on DVD in Japan)

later

ARK, John Adam, c-eling and 5 others like this.
  12. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

That's a strange compilation. It only covers the WEA years up through Lifelines, whereas 25 covered everything (up to that point).

Anyway, props to the Japanese for continuing to release physical products like this. I'd actually like to have the booklet that comes with this with all the single artwork, etc.

13. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Anyone going to guinea pig this singles comp?
    Japan and Rhino makes me question the mastering. :laugh:

14. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

If there was even one unique mix or version on there I'd consider it, but I just can't justify it. My main interest remains the booklet!

c-eling likes this.
  15. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

well, i'm glad i came back and saw this in the thread.
    missed it when i posted later on.

this looks like a great book, and the price is very reasonable for the content.
    ordered, and hopefully it will be coming out soon.

did anyone else order it.

later

longdist01 likes this.
  16. Reece Gilmore

Reece Gilmore Well-Known Member

Got to see a-Ha last night in Auckland. Amazing show!
    [​IMG]

17. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Great picture!

longdist01 and Reece Gilmore like this.
  18. Reece Gilmore

Reece Gilmore Well-Known Member

Thanks! That photo was taken during "Crying In The Rain".

Incredible to see them after so long. The last time I saw them was April 29th 1991 in the UK! Hopefully I won't wait another 29 years before I see them again. :)

19. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

I was living in England when Hunting High And Low hit. They were a breath of fresh air at the time and hit it really big. My favorite song and also video is Stay On These Roads. Reminds me of my time in Europe.

longdist01, D.B. and Reece Gilmore like this.
  20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Has there been a documentary on the band?

21. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

A-ha The Movie coming in November 2020

22. Spidzzle

Spidzzle Active Member

I love a-ha, been collecting their albums for a while and am getting into their concerts.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2020
    longdist01 likes this.
  23. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

I don't recall when I first stumbled upon this thread, but thank you a million times over.

Like most Americans, I only knew "Take On Me" and always assumed A-ha was a typical one-hit wonder band. I thought there was no reason to explore the rest of their albums. Man, I couldn't have been more wrong: I have a big collection of music -- well, by non-SHTV standards :laugh: -- and now consider A-ha's first two albums among the best of the decade. The rest of their catalog is very good as well; all in all, this is an incredibly underrated band that deserves a second (or first) look from anyone who enjoys 80s pop music.

24. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

I had a very similar experience, thanks to this thread!

LarsO, Carlox, npc210 and 1 other person like this.
  25. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Just got the A-ha book, after 5 weeks, which is fine considering
    it came from England.

This looks to be the best book out on them ever.
    I haven't digitized the record that came with it yet, but will do so soon.

https://www.amazon.com/ha-Down-Trac...1&keywords=a-ha&qid=1590112948&s=books&sr=1-1

A-ha: Down To The Tracks

Against all the odds, a-ha scored a huge hit in 1985 with ‘Take on Me’. Seemingly overnight, the Norwegian band were topping charts all over the world; a success propelled in part by an innovative video that captured the imagination of an MTV-loving generation. In truth, however, their success had been the culmination of years of hard work and financial struggle; from their origins in bands such as Bridges and Souldier Blue, through to a period of relative squalor in London

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://https//thisdayinmusicbooks.c...the-tracks-ltd-edition-hardback-bonus-7-vinyl

You can read the first 3 chapters at Amazon.

later