A-ha- Album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Jul 28, 2014.

1. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Reece Gilmore likes this.
  2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

morgan1098 and Porkpie like this.
  3. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Yes the Barry Page book is really good.

My friend has a list of all the songs. To be updated soon

A-ha List Of All Songs

godslonelyman and Carlox like this.
  4. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

The earliest version of take on me - miss eerie by bridges:

later

5. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

Not the biggest a-ha fan but I lended some deluxe editions of their albums on the library and I enjoyed them a lot.
    Favorite tracks : Lifelines,Liedown in darkness,Velvet,Angel in the snow,Blood that moves the body and October.

6. godslonelyman

godslonelyman Forum Resident

Thats an mindblowingly comprehensive list! :cool:

LarsO likes this.
  7. humanracer

Just realised the Japanese Singles Collection has two tracks that were never been released on CD before: I've Been Losing You (edit) & Stay On These Roads (US edit). Forever Not Yours (edit) was on a promo CD but is hard to find.

8. humanracer

I quite like the new song Digital River. Hope they release it as a single even if only digitally.

John Adam, longdist01 and LarsO like this.
  9. humanracer

Listening to the Tony Mansfield early mixes of HH&L. I am a big fan of Mansfield. I love New Musik and Naked Eyes but this sound was not right for a-ha and by 1985 had sounded dated. John Ratcliff was right to remix the album after the record company refused it.

negative1 likes this.
  10. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Kind of agree but I was also surprised how much of his original mix was left as the core of the final version.

longdist01 and humanracer like this.
  11. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Cast in Steel vinyl is currently £10.46 on Amazon UK so I finally bought a copy.

D.B. and LarsO like this.
  12. Chris Hopkins

Chris Hopkins New Member

13. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

please write your own book, and get it published, so we can compare it.

later

humanracer likes this.
  14. humanracer

@Chris Hopkins
    Dear Mr Hopkins
    I think the criticism of Barry's Page a-ha book is rather unfair but I guess it depends on what you want from a music book. I have read parts of it and I am happy with it. The information is partly based on recent interviews from the band members so if there are "tall tales" then it's down to the band. As for opinions, I disagree with his comments about many of my favourite songs but I would rather read a fan's opinion than simply a set of "cold facts" that I could get from wikipedia.
    You say it doesn't go into detail about the songs but what sort of detail are you looking for? The meaning behind the songs? Artists typically don't like explaining every song as it means it loses some of the mystery as lyrics mean different things to different people. The technical aspects of the recording? There is only so much you can say about this, especially with a band like a-ha who didn't innovate much musically unlike say Depeche Mode.

However I have picked three totally random songs from their discography to look at using the book. The songs are Scoundrel Days, Memorial Beach and The Summers of Our Youth.

SCOUNDREL DAYS
    Music written by Magne Furuholmen and Pål Waaktaar-Savoy
    Words written by Pål Waaktaar-Savoy
    Produced by Alan Tarney

Like much of the band’s material from this period, the track had gone through several lyrical and musical evolutions to reach this point. The riff itself had predated Bridges and had been composed by Magne using a jazz guitar that his grandfather, Kaare Aasen, had given to him as a child. During the Poem album sessions in 1980, the riff was resurrected for the ‘The Leap’, which embodied a Joy Divison-like vibe in the verses, while the whimsical musical interludes, featuring a series of 60s-inspired la-las, added an interesting contrast to the lyrics’ dark hue.

MEMORIAL BEACH
    Written by Pål Waaktaar-Savoy

The title of the album’s stunning closing track had been inspired by a trip to the Sarasota area of Florida, where Pål chanced upon its name. ‘A grey day, an abandoned beach – I instantly knew that I had the story for a song,’ he said. ‘The same thing with “Locust”; it’s like a book that you never want to end.
    With its slightly lower pitch, there’s a definite Doors-like feel to the demo, which evokes the brooding melancholia of songs such as ‘Blue Sunday’ and ‘Indian Summer’. The wistful vibe was carried over to the final version, which certainly benefits from a less-is-more approach, with Magne’s trickling piano parts working perfectly in tandem with Per Hillestad’s gently shuffling percussion.

THE SUMMERS OF OUR YOUTH
    Written by Magne Furuholmen
    Produced by Martin Terefe with a-ha
    Additional production by George Tanderø

A demo recording reveals the song had originally been sung by its writer, but it was the highly effective vocal pairing of Morten and Magne which would grace the finished recording, with the contrasting crystalline and brittle tones perfectly complementing the emotional content. It’s Magne’s vocals that are utilised on the verses, which play out like a movie in the songwriter’s head, allowing him to rewind back to his adolescence.

This is only a selection of the comments about the 3 songs. You will need to buy the book to read more. But I feel the writer does a good job of summarising the songs and providing an interpretation of the lyrics.

Mr Hopkins, I understand you had plans to publish your own book on a-ha. Although it seems Barry is the first to publish a detailed book in English about the band, I would certainly read yours and would be interested to hear your insights regarding the songs. I say this genuinely, not in a sarcastic sense.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Chris Hopkins

Chris Hopkins New Member

@Human racer

Thanks for the kind words. I have no plans at this moment to do a book on a-ha but I'm happy to help out with any others. Something which I have offered to do before, including the one in discussion.

16. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Having a great morning playing a-ha records to mark Morten's 61st birthday today! :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  17. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I guess most people know East of the Sun is getting reissued on purple vinyl on 9 October.

longdist01 likes this.
  18. Sammy Waslow

[​IMG]

Yes. I need a new copy.
    Two guys scribbled on my cover.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  19. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Wait, Morten is 61?? I feel old. On the plus side, Morten looks like he's still in his 40s. :)

JeffMo, serj and longdist01 like this.
  20. Joseph Kern

Joseph Kern Forum Resident

Professor of Rock speaks up for TSASOTV (at 10:30).

21. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I have an original pressing of East of the Sun and this new reissue uses the 2015 remaster. Is it regarded as a good one or a typical compressed, modern remaster?

Carlox and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

If the old East LP is anything like the compact disc, it's a hellova nice sounding mastering. I wasn't too impressed with the Scoundrel Days remaster LP. Love the old 86 US 'cut out bin galore' mastering :)

Carlox and Porkpie like this.
  23. Sammy Waslow

[​IMG]

"Celebrating 30 Years of East of the Sun West of the Moon: Purple Velvet 180g vinyl."
    Looks and sounds fantastic.

24. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Any deep cut from that album you recommend?

Record Rotator likes this.
  25. Sammy Waslow

Rolling Thunder is magnificent.
    I also love the closing track, (Seemingly) Nonstop July.

LarsO, Carlox, morgan1098 and 2 others like this.