A-ha- Album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Havoc, Jul 28, 2014.

1. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Thought you guys would be interested in this. A big conflict in 2009 is described in the film (I haven’t seen it myself, only read articles).

Paul wrote the song Foot Of The Mountain, a take on the urban/rural life options. It was recorded and completed.

Then, late in the album process. At manager Harald Wiik’s suggestion and supported by Morten/Magne they decide to cut the verses and insert the verses and synth riff from Magne’s The Longest Night.

Paul disagrees and says he will pull his song out of the project. Morten/Magne tells him by doing that he effectly terminates a-ha. He gets the choice of agreeing or leaving!

The song is re-recorded and quickly released as the lead single.

For your pleasure I created this playlist of the 3 songs:

FOTM x 3

godslonelyman, alexpop, D.B. and 2 others like this.
  2. Joseph Kern

Joseph Kern Forum Resident

The funny thing is that Morten/Magne terminated a-ha shortly thereafter anyway!

LarsO likes this.
  3. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Might be related to the same long term underlying tensions.

4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Very interesting Lars, and makes you wonder what other songs/albums had big compromise issues over the years.

To make it even worse in the example above, it was also the title track so Paul probably resented them every time he read an album review or had to do promo to discuss it.

LarsO likes this.
  5. Joseph Kern

Joseph Kern Forum Resident

Probably. I think there's also something to Paul's comment that the breakup "felt like a business decision." It teed Magne and Morten up for a farewell tour that promised to be the biggest payday of their careers at a time when the market for new recorded music was collapsing.

D.B. and LarsO like this.
  6. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

There's live bass on that track too, played by Leif Johansen, who also toured with and programmed synths for them in '86/'87. Leif is a great guy, and very supportive of young musicians. The reason why I'm bringing this up is because he gave the black Fender he played "I've Been Losing You" on to the bass player in one of my early bands when we were just starting up, who again passed it on to my sister. So that's a tiny piece of a-ha memorabilia.

7. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

That’s awesome! Wow.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Re-recorded?
    Wise decision.

9. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

The final version is certainly the most catchy/radio friendly so I see their point. But at the same time I like Paul’s original and can understand his frustration about his song being picked apart.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Cool story!

longdist01 likes this.
  11. alexpop

I thought I’d prefer myself.
    Hate it when I’m wrong.
    But it was a metamorphosis from nice song to something iconic.

12. alexpop

Any big A-HA Complete CD box in the horizon preferably studio album + bonus tracks .. thick booklet / pics ?

longdist01 likes this.
  13. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Ha. Sounds to me like Paul recycled his verses for the Waaktaar & Zoe song, "Beautiful Burnout".

longdist01, LarsO and alexpop like this.
  14. MrBigFan

MrBigFan Forum Resident

I never play any of their albums back to back but I have made a Best Of playlist and that one I play often :)

longdist01 and morgan1098 like this.
  15. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Just came back from watching a-ha The Movie at the cinema with my best friend from childhood. Highly recommended!

16. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

That's it? That's all you're gonna give us? :D

longdist01 and LarsO like this.
  17. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Well.. A bit too tired to write a review. But I was worried that at only 1:38 or whatever it was, it was going to be too much Take On Me and gloss over the rest. However, it is packed with a-ha music from their entire career. There is one chronological story line underneath with current (2016-2020) interviews/footage covering topics along the way.

18. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

That's good to hear - the usual MO is to spend 70% of the time on Take On Me, gloss over various bits of the next decade, and then ignore everything after that. Glad that their full career gets some love!

longdist01 likes this.
  19. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I'm guessing this won't get a UK cinema release. Will have to hope for a DVD/BluRay.

Perhaps BBC4 will show it as a Saturday night Nordic thriller.:D

longdist01, Porkpie and LarsO like this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What are a-ha up to? Any chance of one more album?

longdist01 likes this.
  21. humanracer

humanracer Forum Resident

Hope not. I already have all the deluxes. Don’t want to buy them again for a box.

22. alexpop

You don’t have to buy it then.:nyah:

23. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

As for the status in the movie:

Paul: Yeah, I kind of have an album ready.

Morten: What we should do is to go to a remote place together and sweat out an album.

Magne: To open that can of worms? No thanks!

longdist01, rfkavanagh and myker like this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Sigh......

longdist01 likes this.
  25. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I think Morten’s concept together with a strong producer/arranger that thinks he knows better than them is the best one. That would unite them! In doubt if the producer would survive though…

longdist01, rfkavanagh and myker like this.