A Hard Days Night UA Mono/Stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicfan37, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm sure this will be addressed in Bruce Spizer's new book in March. But when United Artists released the A Hard Days Night LP in mono and fake stereo, why didn't EMI just provide them with both mono and stereo tapes for the Beatles' tracks?

2. Winter Hugohalter

Winter Hugohalter New Member

The oft told story is that UA expected to make more money from the sale of the soundtrack album than they did with the film. IIRC, UA didn't ask for any stereo mixes. They may have felt that the hysterical teenagers buying the records didn't care if they were mono or stereo, though this doesn't really explain why the George Martin instrumentals are in true stereo on the stereo album.

3. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

I always thought it was a combination of UA wanting to release this album ASAP and not caring if they had true stereo tapes in order to do so. All the mixes were assembled and sent to UA on June 9 [Spizer The Beatles on United Artists in Perry Cox's Guide], and the album was released on June 26, while the UK version was released on July 10.

The fake stereo is so lame it reminds me of how I would make fake stereo versions of old 45s when I was 9 using my Dad's reel to reel: pan to left during the intro, etc.

I still love the single track vocal on And I Love Her.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  4. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member Thread Starter

That's pretty much what I have thought, too. I was just curious for possibly any other ideas. It still seems strange they were able to obtain mono and stereo tapes for the George Martin instrumentals.

5. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

Were the Martin instrumentals folded down on the mono UA AHDN? Maybe the Martin versions were only mixed for stereo, as in the UK EMI believed there was a much different market for those songs than the Beatles recordings (pure speculation). Regardless, I'm impressed the Martin versions were scored, recorded and mixed as quickly as they were, given the timing of the Beatles' versions.

6. Maxbialystock

Maxbialystock Forum Resident

Is it possible that the George Martin instrumentals were being considered also for possible use on a George Martin Orchestra album and therefore were purposely recorded and mixed with stereo in mind - as the market for orchestral pop albums (eg Mantovani etc) was more "grown-up" and thus more likely to care about stereo

7. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I have the same question...on the original mono album, are the George Martin instrumentals fold-downs or are they dedicated mono mixes?

I just listened to this album the other night. I wasn't looking forward to the instrumentals (I thought I'd skip over them), though I knew the Beatles songs would ROCK. (Some of their best stuff, says me.) But I listened to it all the way through and it was kind of cool in a "kitschy" kind of way.

8. lemonjello

lemonjello Forum Resident

I can't add much here in terms of info, but I always liked Martin's instrumentals. Maybe I'm just sentimental. There not the Beatles, but I thought they show off his good musical sensibilities. That "Hard Day's Night" in 5/4 is quite fun.

phillyal1 likes this.
  9. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Originally Posted by 8tracks
    Were the Martin instrumentals folded down on the mono UA AHDN?

Count me in with the same question!

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I know the stereo version well - l found my cassette copy and played it the other day. I'm reasonably sure the George Martin tracks did go on a George Martin LP in stereo in Great Britain.

Sadly I never heard the mono UA release.

11. ShawnMcCann

ShawnMcCann A Still Tongue Makes A Happy Life

Are you sure you're hearing 5/4? It does have a jazz/waltz feel, something like Dave Brubeck's Take Five which is in 5/4, but I thought the instrumental version was mostly in 3/4, shifting to 4/4 for a couple of measures during the melody for "...when I get home to you, I know the things that you do will make me...".

I don't have it with me here at work but will check it out "when I get home" :) and after listening, regardless of what the meter is, you know I'll feel alright.

vince likes this.
  12. mdpierocarey

mdpierocarey Forum Resident

The George Martin instrumentals are folddowns on the mono release of the UA soundtrack album.

Can't remember my source on that, probably an old article in Doug Sulpy's "The 910."

The instrumentals are the only tracks that make the stereo soundtrack LP worthwhile. If you like that sort of thing, I do.

Cheers,
    Doug Piero Carey

13. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

I prefer the version of "And I Love Her" on the mono version. It does not sound like it was recorded in a cave (like all other versions do.) IMHO, this is a perfect example of when doubletracking of the lead vocal makes things worse.

14. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I thought that UA used the recordings made for the film, which were mono only. Plus, don't forget, stereo was a new-fangled invention at the time, and much less important then it would become a few years later. Not to mention that it was thought the Beatles were a flash in the pan at the time, and UA didn't really care about the quality of the recordings, it just wanted to get them out on LP while the fire was hot.

Evan

15. Frank Daniels

Frank Daniels Forum Resident

MM is right. EMI made mixes for UA for inclusion in the film. UA put those on LP also, which they were permitted to do, but EMI did not mix stereo versions for them. UA were suitably impressed with Martin -- enough to contract him for albums through the 1960's. The early ones sold in the US (and in England on Parlophone), but later Martin albums are harder to find.

Can't Buy Me Love (mono mix, 2/26; stereo mix 6/22)
    I Should Have Known Better (mono mix, 3/3; stereo mix 6/22)
    And I Love Her (mono mix for UA, 3/3; stereo mix 6/22)
    Tell Me Why (mono mix, 3/3; stereo mix 6/22)
    If I Fell (mono mix, 3/3; stereo mix 6/22)
    I'm Happy Just to Dance With You (mono mix, 3/3; stereo mix 6/22)
    The above were sent to UA right away, during shooting.
    A Hard Day's Night (mono mix, 4/24; mono mix for tape?, 6/9; stereo mix 6/22)
    The title scene had been shot without knowing what the song would be, so it was made later and sent to UA right away. The extended mono mix of June 9th was sent for the closing credits and wound up on later UA tapes.

In each case, the stereo mixes weren't even prepared until after the whole film was done. UA was about to issue its LP by the time stereo mixes were made.

16. imthewalrus79

imthewalrus79 Forum Resident

Does anyone know exactly what UA did to create the fake stereo tracks for the album? I know the process Capitol used to create their Duophonic mixes, but not what United Artists did. Thanks for the help.

17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 Senior Member

This is not true. The mono instrumentals are dedicated mixes. In fact, the mono mix of "I Should Have Known Better" has a longer fade than the stereo.

dewey02 likes this.
  18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Indeed, the Mono mixes for the George Martin instrumentals are dedicated mixes.

19. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

More or less,the Beatles' tracks were Panned Faked Stereo,no doubt because UA couldn't get the True Stereo EMI tracks,or some other reason.

20. john lennonist

Isn't this mix available on a German LP or two?

And if so, is it fake stereo?

21. Frank Daniels

Frank Daniels Forum Resident

The single-track version of "And I Love Her" is a mono mix.

22. slane

slane Forum Resident

You're probably thinking of the version with the extended ending. That one is stereo.

23. john lennonist

(EDIT. -- Question answered above).

24. slane

slane Forum Resident

I think that particular track was just presented in straight mono, no attempt at any fake stereo panning.

25. john lennonist

Ah, yes... thanks (senior moment!) :laugh:

Is the single-track mono version on the U.S. Capitol Mono "Something New" LP (in addition to being on the UA "Hard Day's Night" Mono LP)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.