A interesting Story

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TommyTunes, Apr 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member Thread Starter

My 80 year old uncle came to visit my 87 year old mom and us this week and we spent many ours talking. Although we were always very close, we never really had very long discussions on subjects outside of family or the neighborhood.

During the 40's and 50's he had worked as a commerical upholsterer in New York. His company had many of the legendary nightspots, like the Copacabana, Birdland etc., as clients. He therefore met and was friends with many of the people involved in these establishments.

So I natually asked if he new any of the musicians. My uncle like to tip a few back then, so he said that he drank and was friends with some of them. So I continued my line of questioning. He said that he remember this one guy who was called "Cheeks" who played this bent horn. I immediately said Dizzy Gillispy? He say yeah thats him and that he new that he became famous later on. I said anyone else?

So he tell me another guy that he used to drink and "********" with, but I problably don't know him, because it was long before my time. So I say who? He says Charlie Parker. At this point I'm totally stunned. Now here is the interesting part. Since he is the quintessential Brooklyn Italian, if these people had been Sinatra, Jerry Vale or Al Martino these stories would have been told and retold in my family. But since he knows nothing about Jazz past the Big Band time, he had absolutely no understanding of how important and influential these people were to become. Even after I tried to explain. His answer to me was the only reason you know is because "you listen to music".

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.