A Lennonology Exclusive - For You Blues (Exclusive Content On The Japanese Let It Be SDE)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MCE1965, Oct 20, 2021.

1. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

You pull hard on other people’s work.
    Then you criticize it to pieces.
    Often, even before you have heard the actual product in question.
    In 2019 you smashed the Abbey Road remix even before you had heard it. All based on unconfirmed info from the internet.
    Then it was revealed the Hi/Rez was uncompressed. You just said ‘thankfully’ and slipped under the radar again.
    Same as this: Would you even have noticed mix differences if it wasn’t for Mike Carrea’s excellent listening work? I bet it’s a no.
    But to sit and point fingers, is certainly a quality you have.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Judging from past history, I doubt that Apple will acknowledge any error. In fact, I doubt that they will say anything.

I'm still waiting for their explanation of where they found that scratchy version of the promo "Penny Lane" in the Pepper box. ;)

3. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

I don't think there was a version of the set with a better copy of that track though. Not even in japan with their snake-oil SHM-CD's, lol

longdist01 and supermd like this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

And what about the guy who noticed that another guy noticed…..? ;-)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  5. Arnold Grove

No. The same scratchy "Penny Lane" version was released everywhere. But Apple never mentioned where it came from. They just kept their lips tight.

So I assume that they will forgo any mention at all about the "For You Blue" discrepancy.

It will be interesting though if anyone can actually decipher how the issue with "For You Blue" occurred.

6. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Universal should obviously bite the bullet here and issue a replacement disc to everyone who purchased the SDE with the wrong version.

baitzahn, longdist01, Sean and 6 others like this.
  7. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Unfortunately

8. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

I wonder if there are other audible differences to the "regular peasant" SDE set.

Floater, Dan Steely and marklamb like this.
  9. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

This email address for Universal has been used in the past when requesting replacement discs for known errors: [email protected]. I sent them an email about the matter this morning and I'd suggest for others to do the same.

RiRiIII and TheLoveDrags like this.
  10. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Thank you!

11. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

and the guy after that...

Guy Smiley likes this.
  12. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

It's an odd one - and the timeline can point to either version being the latest.
    Depends on whether the '69 version was swapped out for the '70 version because it was less hissy.
    Japan could actually have an earlier version of the box set masters, not a later version.

Chris K

Paul P., Floater and supermd like this.
  13. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I am the slightest guy of all on this forum.

blutiga likes this.
  14. Arnold Grove

But why? (Not just asking you, but anyone.)

Even if a certain manufacturing country somehow received an earlier version of the box set masters (which I still find hard to believe that Apple would have sent out something other than the absolute final version), you would presume that a later version was subsequently sent to all of the manufacturing countries. Why would only Japan be left out? Or do you think that Japan had both versions (the earlier and the later versions) and somehow used the wrong (earlier) one?

15. slane

slane Forum Resident

I wonder if the Japan release also has better sourced versions of the two 1970 Glyn Johns mixes (I Me Mine in particular)?

PhoffiFozz, bonsaipark and supermd like this.
  16. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

prepare for the japanese set to skyrocket in price

jmxw, Sargon, BuckNaked and 6 others like this.
  17. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

Depends on the timelines of manufacturing - whether Japan was early or late in the process.

Once the cat was out the bag with the wrong For You Blue mix, did Apple instruct Abbey Road to prepare and distribute new masters, but by that stage only Japan had yet to start production so only they got to use them.
    or was it actually the other way round - was the authentic '69 mix on the original distributed master and deliberately switched late on with the '70 mix for some unknown reason (quality, dropout, too hissy etc) but by that stage Japan had already made the SHM discs so only the EU etc got to use the later version.

I suppose there could be a third 'Disque Americ' type scenario where Japan have simply just been sent masters not intended for production by mistake?

Again, the fact that the digital/streaming mixes can be very easily switched, but as of now still use the '70 mix of For You Blue might well be a clue as to what the official 'correct' mix is.

Chris

18. Arnold Grove

Plausible, yes. But it is weird.

longdist01 likes this.
  19. slane

slane Forum Resident

Allegedly the Japan disc has different mastering overall. With that in mind, the true 1969 mix of For You Blue on it actually has less hiss on the intro (the same 1969 intro edited onto the front of the 1970 mix everywhere else) than the regular edition. Once the song gets underway there is no extra hiss, dropouts or other anomalies to require a switch to the 1970 mix by Apple/Universal. So I'm not sure why Apple would substitute it for the 1970 mix.

Sargon, marklamb and gibtti like this.
  20. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

OK someone really needs to explain what the hell was going on

I'm really thinking of ordering that shm set now...

The Beave, Sargon, Sean and 2 others like this.
  21. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Do you mean "for the 1969" here?

noirbar likes this.
  22. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

Possibly the ultimate example of first world problems. :D

23. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

that's why i'm here, makes me laugh and learn and sometimes get ticked off during my spare time :D

The Beave, 4-2-7 and supermd like this.
  24. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

with all the bootleg sessions I’ve collected over the years, they will have to do….

babyblue and 7solqs4iago like this.
  25. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

and how many did you collect?