A Lennonology Exclusive - For You Blues (Exclusive Content On The Japanese Let It Be SDE)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MCE1965, Oct 20, 2021.

1. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Is the Japanese deluxe still available?

2. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

They did. they released a "fixed" version of the Japanese set with the Frankenstein ROW mix...

Luckily you can tell it apart from the genuine mix. The new sets have a small white dot on the back and lack that blue sticker on the front.

as said above, the "new" Japan sets have the poor mix. You have to be very careful if you order the set. Best to go second hand.

3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But Apple never said anything about it. They just quietly "fixed" it.

theMess, Floater and Lewisboogie like this.
  4. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

So this seems to confirm the belief that the true 1969 version was not (ultimately) intended to be released and was indeed a mistake.

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Yes, that is correct.

marklamb likes this.
  6. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

of course that was the case. otherwise they would have used the actual '69 mix of "For You Blue" on streaming services by now.

Lewisboogie and marklamb like this.
  7. dee

dee Senior Member

Am new to this particular set.
    Have the other 3 SDEs.
    The LIB SDE from the remix to the outtakes to the Johns mix included, it, well, I can't believe much of it was released. I like the band a lot.

The majority of the quality of the tracks on this SDE set, I'm still surprised many were released in the form in which they are.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. dee

dee Senior Member

Cheers. So basically the '69 and '70 mixes are almost entirely the same mixes and the same takes. It makes it seem like 2 very different albums the way these are referred to. If not, fwiw I think they both largely are not very well done, imo. I'm grateful for LIBN and the 'proper' LIB album release. Thanks for clarifying to a more casual fan. Cheers!

Am happy to move on from the LIB SDE release now and have LIBN and LIB Spector to enjoy much of instead. Thanks for posting that :)

Lewisboogie likes this.
  9. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Is that the small blue sticker on the lower right front of the set that says “New Music Friday’s” you are referring to?

10. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

yes

marklamb likes this.
  11. marklamb

marklamb Forum Resident

Thank you looks like I have the original first press of it then

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  12. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I got a 2nd press. That was in April. I decided to keep it.

marklamb likes this.
  13. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Speaking of @lennonology I have just finished reading his wonderful book again. Highly recommended and full of exclusive info.

It's hard to believe it's been 7 years since it was published. I'm glad I pre-ordered it back then, as my name is mentioned in the "benefactors" section.

Looking forward to Volume 2, hopefully it won't be long now!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

oboogie, fishcane and Library Eye like this.
  14. Attila the Professor

Attila the Professor Forum Resident

I wonder if it will ever be available to order in the UK. The website still says they won't accept orders and there is no ebook option

15. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

When I was a kid, I went to a Ringling Bros/ Barnum n Bailey Circus at MSG and my dad insisted that we had seen John Lennon there. I don’t remember it but it was through this book that I was able to confirm that he indeed was there that night! Still have the program

AndyTaylor, oboogie and 5th-beatle like this.
  16. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

What a complicated thread...

I'd appreciate some help...

I *think* I acquired the Japanese 1969 version - the easiest way it seems to tell is that I've Got A Feeling is completely out of sync with the ROW edition? Is that correct?

Is this the easiest track to identify the difference? other than some of the tracks having the odd second difference here or there.

What's interesting is that both versions of the Lennon "give us a big...." chat to Ringo before Don't Let Me Down sound the same to me...

It's a shame is that there's more compression on the Japanese version -

Top: I've Got A Feeling (1970 Mix) ROW Edition
    Bottom: I've Got A Feeling (1969 Mix) Japan edition

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
    marklamb likes this.
  17. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

See Wrong Masters for the ‘Glyn Johns 1969 Mix’, and Japan to the rescue.

raphph likes this.
  18. raphph

19. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

CD Matrix for disc 4 is: UICX-75440 1 (1st pressing)
    CD Matrix for disc 4 is: UICX-75440 2 (2nd pressing)

marklamb likes this.
  20. raphph

except I don’t have the CD - just the files sent by my “cousin in Japan”

Lewisboogie likes this.
  21. grsmnkey

grsmnkey Forum Resident

Well, not sure if you can examine the spectrograms, but post 86 in this thread should help if you can.

raphph likes this.
  22. SilverBottomSavior

SilverBottomSavior Forum Resident

It's only a complicated matter because a shoddy job was done, and also because people are reluctant to accept that and discuss it constructively.

There is more compression on the 1969 mix because there is no master tape. It only exists a processed safety copy with audible hiss and less clarity.

The original 1970 master was assembled by pulling apart the 1969 master and making changes including a new mix of "For You Blue".

The "1969 mix" on the final box set was a failed attempt at re-creating the 1969 version using the 1970 tape.

The remaining "new" songs from the 1970 version appear on the "bonus" EP but were taken from a poor-quality bootleg for no apparent reason (as were parts of the re-creation if you compare it to the Japanese SHM).

All of this mess could have been averted by simply presenting the final 1970 album master on the deluxe edition and using something else to pad out the bonus EP.

ggggreenisaac, Lewisboogie and raphph like this.
  23. indigovic

indigovic (Taylor’s Version)

You say “failed attempt,” I say “mostly successful attempt.” Or even “imperfect, but only in ways that most people can’t readily identify.”

tstrapac and Colocally like this.
  24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yeah I’m happy with the whole package. Could there have been more, yes but it’s still a lovely release.

25. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Jagger was there as well.

oboogie, applejam101 and fishcane like this.