A Lennonology Exclusive - For You Blues (Exclusive Content On The Japanese Let It Be SDE)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MCE1965, Oct 20, 2021.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Enough that paying $200+ for another copy of one track I can already listen to isnt necessary. I’ll take my free replacement copy tho

2. slane

slane Forum Resident

I mean I don't see why Apple would replace the proper 1969 mix with the 1970 mix. There's nothing wrong with the 1969 mix.

3. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

That's what I thought. No problem, but then what you meant to say was, "I'm not sure why Apple would substitute it for the 1969 mix."

noirbar likes this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

Depends if the Japan SDE is an earlier (subsequently changed) or later (revised) version of the regular SDE.

5. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Whoever just ordered the last copy of the SHM set on World of Music Germany I had my eyes on, congrats...

Floater likes this.
  6. thrivingonariff

Not following you here, but my last comment was based solely on your previous clarification: "I mean I don't see why Apple would replace the proper 1969 mix with the 1970 mix. There's nothing wrong with the 1969 mix." Anyway, that's all from me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  7. slane

slane Forum Resident

I can confirm that the Japan disc is a different mastering overall. It' darker (less top end, more bottom end) and doesn't stay in digital sync. (which likely means it's a different transfer). The glitch in the spoken intro of Don't Let Me Down (on the word 'big') is not present.

gamuzajoe, BuckNaked, Sean and 16 others like this.
  8. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

The gift that keeps on giving... They will never replace the entire master in digital stores..."MAYBE" For you Blue on its own if the issue becomes too widely acknowledged.

The Beave and marklamb like this.
  9. Rorsontherun

Rorsontherun Forum Resident

We can establish a society of affected people together with those infuriated by the Isn't it a pity v2 error on ATMP to request refunds! :righton:

The Beave, FJFP and fishcane like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

11. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

"Less top end, more bottom"
    Hmm... hopefully it's not because the entire SHM disc of Get Back comes from the Barret boots. Those lacked top end as well... :D

Edit:
    Just had a theory come up:

Maybe the japanese Get Back disc is an earlier 1969mix tape transfer, warts and all. And the folks involved decided to "upgrade" it using the later 1970 mix after the files were send over to japan.

That could explain the added hiss on the intro of "For You Blue" on the common set. They may have tried to boost the high frequencies of the duller sounding 69 transfer to match the 70mix and thus raised the volume where that hiss is located.

Just a theory

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  12. PaperbackPoetWriter

PaperbackPoetWriter Forum Resident

Thank You for sharing!
    I just ordered my copy. Did you discover any other differences in the Japan SDE SHM-CD's?

13. bonsaipark

bonsaipark Turn me on, Redmond

Are you speaking of the Glyn Johns album or the set in general (being "darker")?

I don't know much about how Beatles resissues have been handled, but Japan frequently seems to go their own way on reissues. One obvious difference is their penchant for adding a bonus track or two, but they frequently produce their own masters as well. And they're wonderfully detail-oriented. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that someone there noticed the mistake with "For You Blue" and instructed that their set be corrected.

Love the Japanese!

14. slane

slane Forum Resident

The Glyn Johns album.

I haven't formed any theories yet about how this occurred. But at the moment I'm guessing this is an alternate mastering prepared by Apple. Which one came first and which is 'correct', I don't know.

15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

SK-1 all over again

The Beave, BuckNaked and BeatlesBop like this.
  16. bonsaipark

A corrected disc from Universal shouldn't be out of the question. I remember back around 2005 there was a problem with one of "The Capitol Albums" sets. I don't remember the details but I think a wrong mix was used - possibly a fold-down instead of the true mono mix? They accepted return of the bad discs and sent out a corrected copy.

Sean, Jerquee, marklamb and 2 others like this.
  17. bonsaipark

Just sent mine. This is a good idea.

18. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

THIS IS ACTUALLY WHAT SEEMS TO HAVE HAPPENED!

a friend send me pictures of the spectrograms for all the tracks on the SHM disc. It looks like a simple transfer of the 1969 tape. No obvious editing visible like on the common SDE.

Here's proof at track#2. The 1970 tape has been spliced in from 0:35 to around 1:37. The base 1969 track was slightly EQ'd to match.

Japan SHM-CD:
    [​IMG]

Regular CD:
    [​IMG]

SO indeed, the "butchered" version we got is the final intended copy... good grief... talk about too many cooks or in BIG quotations "remastering"

Now this begs the question.. why didn't they also replace the 2 1970 mix bootleg tracks on the EP ?

19. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

This couldn't fit in any other the other threads on this subject? Are we going to have a thread for every single song on this set? Come on, man!

20. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Where i can listen this version?

21. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Spend ~200€ on a japanese import. ;)

The Beave, Sean, Floater and 4 others like this.
  22. gibtti

gibtti Senior Member

Wow!
    So the Japan mastering doesn't look like a fix as such but actually an earlier un-futzed straight transfer - which to me is the more desirable version.
    If so, this will not be repressed so anyone wanting this better get ordering.
    We'll probably never know if this was a 'Disque Americ' style mistake where a not for production master has been used by mistake,
    or a 'Tomorrow Never Knows' situation where a change was made after some discs were already pressed up.

Chris

23. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

The 1970 vocal appears on Naked correct? And what version is on Anthology? A different take I assume?

24. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

- and the feedback on "Teddy Boy"?...

phillyal1 and gibtti like this.
  25. thrivingonariff

How did you come to that conclusion?

BeatlesBop and PabloFanques like this.