A Lennonology Exclusive - For You Blues (Exclusive Content On The Japanese Let It Be SDE)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MCE1965, Oct 20, 2021.

1. PabloFanques

PabloFanques Forum Resident

These look the same to me. I'm not seeing the big deal here. You can see the edit on both.

This is nowhere near the '87 Canadian release. That was the entirety of the release, where this is what? A minute?

2. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

This separate thread is the appropriate way to handle this special situation.

3. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

why would they do edits using the 1970 tape first but then decide "nah, let's just use the unaltered transfer" ?

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Less top on the Glyn Johns version…. Well that would not be the version for me anyway.

5. thrivingonariff

I don't know, but given the special nature of the material on this disc, it seems possible.

6. thrivingonariff

Not the same. Look more closely.

Floater likes this.
  7. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

yeah I wish they had given us the full 1970 mix judging from the rather mediocre and hissy sound of the 1969 tape instead of trying to fix it. They could have easily just included Teddy Boy and For You Blue (1969) as bonus tracks on the EP instead of ATU and I Me Mine.

Frank Irons, Keith V, supermd and 2 others like this.
  8. PabloFanques

I see the edit (we're referring to) on the bottom. I can see where it goes from around 18khz to about 5khz on both copies.

9. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Maybe now it will be more obvious to you where the 1970 tape was spliced in. ;)

[​IMG]

10. bonsaipark

bonsaipark Turn me on, Redmond

So they did more work on the "regular" SDE release, suggesting that that represents their final thoughts? Okay. That's probably a fair assumption.

The gut feeling I'm getting is that that reverting was an editorial decision in Japan. Somebody said, "This isn't right."

marklamb likes this.
  11. PabloFanques

What if this was done by in-house software when manufacturing the SHM-CDs? One could argue the (STD) CD is actually the more transparent copy? (I have neither, so I don't have a dog in this fight, so to speak)

12. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Theres an even more obvious edit right at the end of Let it Be when Paul says "reload our stomachs". Since you dont own the set you can't tell audibly though so I suppose another frequency spectrum is of no use.
    Let me just tell you: that obvious edit isn't there on the Japanese SHM. ;)

FJFP, 905 and slane like this.
  13. PabloFanques

If they are the same master, these will have the same exact checksums.

Floater likes this.
  14. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Wich it really wasn't. Kudos to that guy (or madame) if so !

15. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Welp, HDtracks replied and they won't take any action. They have no control of the files being uploaded to their site and rely on the label to "fix any mistake themselves" if there is any and "that will take 2 months at most". Well, granted now we know it was deliberate choice to do the editing. They also stated rather jokingly that "How do you know? some forum isn't a source". Funnily I didn't even mention any. Just provided a link to the japanese SHM-Set.

Oh well, didn't expect anything anyway. Especially with the new evidence we've found that the edited mix is the "finalised" one. ;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    The Beave and supermd like this.
  16. thrivingonariff

HDtracks is, in my experience, lame when it comes to addressing technical issues regarding the products they sell. Their self-proclaimed status as an audiophile source is a joke, imo.

17. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

To quote from their email: "there often is a split between the expectations of certain audiophiles and the reality of the music industry"

True unfortunately. But their whole mail reply gave of this "bugger off!" vibe. Oh well, no problem. I never bought stuff over there anyway. I usually go with Qobuz.

18. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

The Japanese set isn't perfect either. The Get Back SHM CD was quite heavily compressed in dynamics... :rolleyes:

marklamb likes this.
  19. thrivingonariff

I'd also identify a split between the expectations of customers and the reality of their company.
    Been there, too.

Floater likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the following comment, but this was just posted in the main "Let It Be" content thread:

The mystery deepens...

marklamb, Floater and PhoffiFozz like this.
  21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

BEBOPALULA likes this.
  22. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Is "Dig It" on this the full-length version (which I love) or the snippet that was included on "Let it Be"?

23. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

The Get Back album has a +4 minute version.

john lennonist likes this.
  24. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

that's wrong on so many levels.

- the cold start of Rocker is just the way it is. Some boots have faded it in to sound less "weird".
    - I don't recall any boot of the 1969 mix sounding anywhere near this quality
    - having frequency response that good up to 20khz+.

Now what was the actual source for this transfer is a mystery. It does sound pretty hissy for a master tape. My guess is that it's a second gen copy.

Paul P., Floater, Yosi and 2 others like this.
  25. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Is it the Bentley tape (7 1/2 i.p.s. dub)?