A Lennonology Exclusive - For You Blues (Exclusive Content On The Japanese Let It Be SDE)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MCE1965, Oct 20, 2021.

1. slane

slane Forum Resident

My guess of what happened:

Glyn made his 1970 changes to the 1969 tape. The complete '1969 tape' only existed as a copy after that.

Apple have now decided that it is the 1969 album they will release on the 2021 SDE, and so do the obvious and transfer their 1969 tape copy (mastered quite rolled-off so as not to highlight the hiss).

Sometime after that, they decide the 1970 master sounds better, and stitch it back into the 1969 order, using the 1969 copy where needed (adjusting EQ).

But they make a mistake with the For You Blue mix (not noticing they are different), and also introduce glitches and obvious edits.

When there's a last minute decision to do the EP, they grab their bootleg 'reference' copies of IMM and ATU, as they did not transfer these when working with the 1970 tape.

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

For me, good decision. I’d rather have a curated Get Back in highest fidelity.

BDC and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  3. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Comparing the intro of "For You Blue" from the leaked "SHM" japan CD with the regular SDE, I have noticed the leak is missing a rather noticeable lipsmack. So maybe the leak is actually a boot. Arrrgh...... someone please buy the damn japan set and shed light onto it, LOL

Edit:
    The track split indexes are pretty much at the same points though.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    supermd likes this.
  4. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I can 100% see this being the situation. Checks all the boxes for why we got what we got.

You’d think they would have just transferred the whole 1970 mix tape for posterity, anyway. If you’re doing a transfer of most of it for this box set, why not transfer the rest?

slane, bonsaipark and BeatlesBop like this.
  5. bonsaipark

bonsaipark Turn me on, Redmond

Is Universal not selling the "regular" CD versions in Japan? That is, is the SHM version the only official CD product there? That doesn't sound like it would be a bootleg if so. (Meaning a fake, unofficial third-party release tarted up to look like a Beatles-Universal product... however, an official release using a bootleg as a source is an entirely different matter.)

At CDJapan the standard CD editions are marked as imports and are priced higher than the SHMs. The vinyl sets are listed as domestic (like the SHM sets).

6. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

marklamb likes this.
  7. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Plus, a CD doesn’t HAVE to be just an EP.
    I wonder if “there’s a hole in the hard case” is a bonus Easter Egg track somewhere.

8. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

I second that.

slane and supermd like this.
  9. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

George says it all. “Elmore James got nothing on this failure”.

10. It's a Beatles tradition - don't bother checking the ends of tape reels! That's how we ended up with Her Majesty on Abbey Road, and how we're missing tracks during these new audio transfers :D

Floater, supermd and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I’d rather we get The Beach Boys tradition: check all tape reels, like they did with the “Country Air” tape from the Wild Honey album and they ended up finding that 1967 solo Brian “Surf’s Up” track on his out-of-tune piano. Absolutely priceless.

12. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

@Yosi Is this you? If so, can you shed any light on this?

Yosi likes this.
  13. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

I posted this in the other Let It Be thread: I just checked my Japanese version (from CDJapan) of the Super Deluxe boxed set and For You Blue (Glyn Johns version) does have the 1969 vocal: it has the longer “youuuuu” in the first and second verse.

marklamb, Sargon, 905 and 3 others like this.
  14. thrivingonariff

Thanks, but it still might help to hear from Yosi.

Yosi likes this.
  15. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

Does anybody have both the Japan set and the everywhere else in the world set? It would interesting to see if one Get Back has better fidelity than the other besides the obvious differences of the For you blue vocal.

16. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

but they did transfer the track after it (get Back Reprise)

supermd likes this.
  17. Yosi

Yosi Senior Member

Thank you for caring me.

Chip, Slane and some others already posted excellent analysis and thoughts on the contents.
    I have the Japanese Super Deluxe (SHM-CD) and it has without a doubt the 69 mix of For You Blue and the entire disc id mastered differently to the European set.

When the track first appeared on the streaming services, labeled as 69 Glyn Johns Mix,
    I and another person requested Universal Japan that the track should be replaced or at least the title should be corrected.
    But I don't know it affected the Unique version of the Get Back disc in Japan.
    If it is, it is a bit amazing Apple and Calderstone admit the mistake and approve the change only for Japan.

18. thrivingonariff

Good job! :righton:

Yosi and hlennarz like this.
  19. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

I salute you and the other guy!

Too bad they only acknowledged their mistake in Japan. I guess it might be a case of the Japanese's "saving face" attitude to mistakes. But luckily for us anyway.

Too bad they didn't also fix the hi-res release on Japanese sites such as Ototoy

20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

People who have compared, state that the eoropean version sounds less muffled.

supermd and Karl Denver like this.
  21. Floater

Floater Forum Resident

The reason for this thread is not a special song. We are talking here about an officially release that's different to the world wide released version.
    The Japan release is definitely a rarity now. It's interesting to know why that happened.

22. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident

When listening to the Glyn Johns mix of For you blue on the Japanese box,
    how are we sure that we have the original mix of 1969 and none of the vocal overdubs from 1970 ?

Are there any clues in the recording that allows to verify this ?

23. galone_es

galone_es Forum Resident

Did you notice the darker sound, mentioned on this thread, on the Get Back album of the Japanese box in relation to the European box ?

24. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

The edited version for the international set just had the trebble boosted on the 1969 portions. Also indicating that this Japanese copy was an earlier CD master

25. Yosi

Yosi Senior Member

I only have the Japan edition so I can't compare both. I don't particularly hear the "dark" sound from my disc but it's just my ears.