A Love Supreme: Mastercut Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gabe Walters, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident Thread Starter

John Coltrane Mastercut – Jazz Center Stage Store

The most famous and successful studio album of jazz saxophonist John Coltrane is still considered his masterpiece. Recorded in December 1964 at Van Gelder Studios in Englewood Cliffs, NJ, this record has been selected from the Universal Music archives for the Archival Tape Edition.

This edition is exclusively manufactured on purely analog principles: each record is cut from the original analog source master, one by one, without any digital interference, compression or compromise onto finest lacquer blanks from Japan. Never before have such MASTERCUTS of this highest quality have been in the hands of music lovers. The MASTERCUT is protected by an all-analog custom produced packaging, especially developed and assembled by hand in the SUPERSENSE printshop in Vienna.

In addition to the high-quality sound carrier, this edition contains valuable, partly historical accompanying documents such as:

• A Love Supreme, a Minolta EP 410Z analog photocopy of the original notes by John Coltrane
    • One Instant Polaroid photograph of John Coltrane after an original photo by Bob Thiele
    • A Minolta EP 410Z analog photocopy with blue toner featuring the Supersense Livingroom Studio
    • Polaroid Photograph of microscopic view of the real groove "pursuance".
    • A "How To Caress your MASTERCUT” step by step tutorial
    • "Project Mastercut. An introduction to editions" by Florian "Doc" Kaps
    • A screen print of the original Archival Tape
    • Cutting Engineer Notes of the Supersense Studio
    The total circulation of this MASTERCUT release is strictly limited to a maximum total of 999 records.

The US version will consist of numbers 1-500 of the production. Some additional characteristics that can only be found on the US version are as follows:

• Spine Imprint exclusively in blue tone ink
    • Blue Tone package screen print
    • Blue tone booklet band with Impulse logo
    IMPORTANT NOTE: as each MASTERCUT is handmade, they will ship as they become available. Given the time and care needed, we expect to deliver 100 units per month starting in late November 2021 and running through March of 2022. Orders will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. Free shipping is included on all orders within the continental US.

Tracklist:
    Side A:

1. A Love Supreme, Pt. I – Acknowledgement (07:48)
    2. A Love Supreme, Pt. II – Resolution (07:22)
    Side B:

1. A Love Supreme, Pt. III – Pursuance (10:45)
    2. A Love Supreme, Pt. IV – Psalm (07:05)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matt R.

Matt R. Forum Resident

I don't know if I will end up regretting this.... But I ordered a copy this morning.

3. I wonder what the master tape brand and formulation is.

4. Gabe Walters

They don't specify, but I would guess these are cut from the current master, which is the UK backup tape, one-off the original RVG tape.

5. Patanoia

Patanoia Third Ear Centre

A "How To Caress your MASTERCUT” step by step tutorial? If you have to be told how to caress your Mastercut, you're not ready for it.

6. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Ohhhh wow, $500 USD for the Mastercut Edition.

No information on who is cutting the LP, nor the pressing plant? As per their marketing information, they're using lacquer disks from MDC. Well, considering that MDC is the only producer of the blank lacquers in the world, that doesn't surprise me.

Dubmart likes this.
  7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Had it sat in the basket and if I had the cash spare would have pressed the button to buy, but I can't really afford it and perhaps more importantly don't need it as I have a really nice UK first press likely using the same tape, but when it was fifty+ years younger and that copy has already seen off numerous other pressings, plus the latest AP sounds great for a tenth of the price. Having bought the Craft one stop and the ERC a third expensive Coltrane would have been overkill.

kt66brooklyn and googlymoogly like this.
  8. Gabe Walters

It's a lacquer, it deteriorates, most people will have no idea how to properly handle one. Or how to caress one. ;)

I wonder who's cutting it, but again, it's a lacquer. It's not a pressed record. If you buy, you're buying a lacquer cut directly from the tape.

9. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

As I have the repress of the Acoustic Sounds reissue on order, and an original Canadian pressing on Sparton that sounds amazing, I’ll pass on this, but I do find the concept intriguing. Taking the One Step and Electric Recording Company concept to the next level.

MikeJedi and Gabe Walters like this.
  10. Gabe Walters

Yeah, I agree. For those of us without a reel-to-reel at home, this is probably the closest we'll ever get to hearing the master. RVG tape–>UK tape–>Mastercut lacquer. And we know the UK tape sounds great, because so does the Acoustic Sounds Series LP that was cut from it.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don't buy a lacquer! That's just silly.

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Dumb question, but will a lacquer degrade with repeated plays?

13. This reads like an April Fool’s joke:
    • A Minolta EP 410Z analog photocopy with blue toner featuring the Supersense Livingroom Studio
    An ‘analog photocopy’ from an old photocopy machine is something to tout?

spindly, action pact, Ste_S and 7 others like this.
  14. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

$600 for a lacquer :laugh:

Hope nobody actually plays theirs…

audiomixer likes this.
  15. acetboy

acetboy Forum Resident

I’ll wait for the needle-drop. It will be free.

16. Jonathan Halen

Jonathan Halen Forum Resident

The original album went Platinum today.

Gold & Platinum - RIAA

JOHN COLTRANE A LOVE SUPREME November 10, 2021 IMPULSE ALBUM
    Release Date
    DECEMBER 9, 1964
    Previous Certification(s) | Date(s)
    Platinum | November 10, 2021
    Gold | January 3, 2001

17. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

Sure will. I hope whoever buys these plans to create a hi-rez copy with the first play, because these will not be regular listening copies…

TheRealMcCoy likes this.
  18. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Can you explain?

misteranderson likes this.
  19. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Bound to happen. Seems like only used stuff will be affordable soon

20. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The first 21 copies have sold, according to the Jazz Center store.

21. Matt R.

Matt R. Forum Resident

I may be wrong, but it looks like these are the people that are cutting them?

Supersense

22. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Totally. And will get more noise as it breaks down. The surface degrades whether it's played or not. Not for long-term use or storage. A "temporary" music playback device that can be damaged quite easily, the soft surface prone to any and all types of problems.

Why do you think when production LP lacquers are cut there is a race to get them "fixed" to metal? Surface breakdown starts immediately. The mastering room at RTI prided itself on being able to cut a lacquer and get it sputtered within 10 minutes..

23. PabloFanques

PabloFanques Forum Resident

Lacquer is soft, not a good idea to play it. Cool idea for a 500.00 conversation piece.

Steve beat me to it.

Greenalishi, spindly, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  24. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

So when they say:

"The MASTERCUT is protected by an all-analog custom produced packaging, especially developed and assembled by hand in the SUPERSENSE printshop in Vienna," they are referring to the cardboard box, not the "master cut"? :realmad:

EDIT: They also refer to the box as a "high-quality sound carrier".

25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

One major issue, there is absolutely zero chance Universal would allow anyone to play their UK copy tape a thousand times, that tape probably got played less than ten times in the near fifty years it was in the UK and then a few more times since, so that's not going to happen and leaves the question of the source they are using wide open.

The picture shows a US reel, not the UK, did they picture the UK in the first CD release that used it, the deluxe?