"A Mighty Wind" SE DVD September 23rd

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by reechie, Jul 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

We've been discussing this film in another thread, and if you missed its theatrical run, here's your chance to catch it. The DVD looks like it's going to be a killer as well.

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2003/07_10.html

Break like the wind - 10:19am

It came, it saw, it blew. (That's a compliment.) Hitting DVD on September 23rd courtesy of Warner Home Video is the latest Christopher Guest "mockumentary" A Mighty Wind. Presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and English and French Dolby Digital 5.1, extras include an audio commentary with Guest and Eugene Levy, 15 additional scenes, a live TV broadcast of the concert in the film and the entire climactic benefit show, additional TV appearances by The Folksmen and Mitch & Mickey, complete biographies for The Folksmen, The New Main Street Singers and Mitch & Mickey plus discographies, album art and lyrics, and even some additional easter eggs. Retail is $27.95.

2. Picked up my copy of the DVD from the "Previously Viewed" section at Blockbuster the other day along with the George Clooney version of Solaris. Got them both for a whopping $16. with tax. Both looked as if no one had ever rented them. :)

Accoring to sctvguide.ca "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow" (music and lyric by Michael McKean and Annette O'Toole) from A Mighty Wind which has been nominated for the best original song Oscar, will be performed at the Oscars by Mitch and Mickey. :thumbsup:

Now there's a reason to watch the Academy Awards this year. I can't wait.

Does anyone have a clean SP copy of the original Saturday Night Live sketch of the Folksmen? The only copy I have is about a 5th generation dub, with bad tracking.

Attached Files:

3. jdw

jdw Senior Member

I fortunate enough to see the "A Mighty Wind" concert tour when it came to Vancouver last November. I believe they did 8 or 10 concerts to promote the DVD release.

The concert featured all the key members of the movie cast, including Bob Balaban as the anal-retentive show promoter (and he was hilarious). All the cast stayed completely in character for the entire night and there was no lip-syncing or canned backing-tracks. The highlights were Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara's set, and The Folksmen covering the Stones' "Start Me Up". I would love to get a recording of one of these shows...

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I picked up a used copy for $9.99 also. Cool extras too. That Folksmen song with all of those camera fades and changes was hilarious. There is something very weird about an intentionally retro song being nominated. I'll admit though , I really like it and most of the rest of the soundtrack. Gene Levy was fantastic in the movie. He made the slightly wacky Mitch into a semi-genius. . I'm glad he is finally getting recognized.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I loved A MIGHTY WIND dearly. I've watched the DVD several times and made Karla watch it with me several more. That scene with the Folksmen rehearsing for the gig was so great because it obviously was real; so refreshing to see actors who can actually play instruments....

Wish I had seen that live concert! Start Me Up? Woah...That would have been awesome...

6. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

The Folksmen version of "Start Me Up" is on the soundtrack album and is fall-down funny. The soundtrack is well worth getting if you like the movie.

Ryan

7. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

future audiophile classic ?? - a mighty wind

Played my VINYL copy of this over the weekend - sonically it is superb, very natural recordings and great stand up bass sound - I propose this could be an audiophile classic in years to come.
    anyone else played the vinyl ? is the CD just as good.??
    Tim

8. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I haven't heard the CD, so I can't compare, but I have the vinyl edition of the soundtrack and I agree that it sounds quite good. And I'm glad I didn't have the punch out the center hole myself. :D

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member Thread Starter

Heh, that might have been a funny promotional item...an album without a hole in it. Just like when Spinal Tap released Break Like The Wind, and had some promo 8-Tracks made up, and sent out promotional "collandars" because someone at the office misspelled "calendar" on the invoice!
    :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.