A movie you had to watch in class that became a favorite

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Price.pittsburgh, Feb 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

The only film I saw in school (it was a field trip and we went to a theater) was Polanski's MacBeth. We didn't have film classes in my high school, the class that saw the movie was a Shakespeare class (English lit)

I saw Night And Fog in elementary school (I've posted about this before.)

hi_watt likes this.
  2. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962) - with Anthony Quinn, Jackie Gleason & Mickey Rooney, it doesn't get much better than this!

3. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

Did you ever see... Death Zones? This was the standard bus safety film they showed us in elementary school. Most of the examples were kids doing stupid things, but the girl who slid in the snow just before the bus started moving was scary.

guy incognito and hi_watt like this.
  4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Rear Window
    Battleship Potempkin

rocnred likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Wizard Of Oz...

Jimmy B., HorseyAnn and rocnred like this.
  6. Michael

they actually showed Reefer Madness in High School! it was quite hysterical...

guy incognito and rocnred like this.
  7. Michael

wow! that's cool...my introduction to this was Public Television...

AintGotHalfOf likes this.
  8. Never Cry Wolf

Where's the Blu Ray?

hi_watt likes this.
  9. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Wait Until Dark - for some reason one wing of the school lost power, so we were herded into the MP room and shown this. We didn't "get it" at the time - and that is memorable. But it has grown on me.
    Father Goose - for some similar but unknown reason. It took me years and the internet to rediscover this by title and watch it again. Not really a favorite but not objectionable.
    Swing Time - another similar. Yes, a favorite now.

Years later I guessed that these three were leftovers at the film exchange (16mm) so whoever teacher was the film nut (and could get films free for school but really for him[her?]self) had already picked each up, and each time when time needed to be filled, each one was the one available.

In a few film classes I saw the usuals, but while memorable none became favorites.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  10. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

The Tell-Tale Heart. Remembered watching it on one of those tube-based televisions perched on a stand so the whole class could see it. don't know if it's a favorite but it scared me good n well when I saw it in school.

11. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

A Man for All Seasons. I've seen it at least a dozen times since HS and each time I get something new out of it.

Oh, and Sorry, Wrong Number. Although, to tell you the truth, I prefer the radio version now.

[​IMG]

12. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Mr. Smith goes to Washington
    12 Angry Men
    Sergeant York
    Babe
    Alfred Hitchcock's lamb to the slaughter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.