A Musical Tour of the World: All Countries A-Z One Per Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HitAndRun, Jun 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Hmmm. As far as African music goes, so far I'm not very impressed about what I hear from Rwanda. I do like of course the inanga music, the inanga being the main traditional instrument of Rwanda. The Maria-Jeanne song sounds quite nice, but the story behind it indeed raises eyebrows.

Sophie Nzayisenga is apparently the first ever female player of the Inanga, which is described as a large tough-zither instrument with between 8 and 16 strings. Her father, Thomas Kirusu, was one of the most renowned Inanga players in Rwanda. Here you can see Sophie Nzayisenga perform at Rwanda Day in Amsterdam in 2015:

Here is something interesting: The Good Ones are a four-piece band from Rwanda. When lead singer Adrien Kazigira decided to form a group, he went looking for "the good ones", the best musicians he could find. The three others he now plays with are a subsistence farmer like him, a driver and a teacher. They formed They formed the band as a healing process after the genocide and the original trio's membership reunited Rwanda's three tribes. Here is "Where Did You Go Wrong, My Love", which is a very nice song:
    https://youtu.be/ekMKKb2vZHo

Here is some Traditional Rwandan dance in a Twa village in northwestern Rwanda:
    https://youtu.be/tciDbE-Brx4

Finally, here is something called "Rwandan hip-hop & Indigenous music jam". On the hills outside Kigali, traditional Batwa musicians found a new voice in the urban community through an unlikely collaboration with local hip-hop artist, Pacachi. Pacachi, and two other hip hop guys, Obie and Freddy, spent a day jamming with the Batwa singers, improvising lyrics:
    https://youtu.be/4iOjLbNdf1U

john hp likes this.
  2. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the music everyone. It's after working hours and I'm going through posts.

@john hp - that song by Clarisse Karasira is definitely a good promotion for Rwanda, in my opinion, and makes me want to go there. I would be up for the dancing.

The refugees song is nice too - though as in some other countries, it's in the back of my head why they are refugees - what they had to flee from.

Mariya Jeanne ya Nsengiyumva is, musically, my favourite from your post. The back story helped understand the video - otherwise I would have had no clue. And, while the song is I guess lighthearted, his history is not. I see from the article about him that he lost both parents in the 1994 genocide.

I initially thought that Ubuntu music foundation might have something to do with the Linux operating system related foundation. I see not.

The other songs are nice, and Ariel Wayz is a very interesting spoken word + music track.

I'll post more music once I've listened to more.

Jamsterdammer and john hp like this.
  3. HitAndRun

Thanks @Jamsterdammer. Another great selection with my favourite being The Good Ones. I'm reading up on some Rwandan history now, and it's good to see a band with people from different origins (though the distinctions are complicated) playing together.

I don't have a lot of new music, and a search hasn't revealed much that is obvious. Miss Shanel (Ruth Nirere) is a Rwandan singer and actress. Her more recent music is said to be more traditional. This is 'Ubufindo'.

This is from the album 'Abatwa - Why Did We Stop Growing So Tall' album that appears quite often in searches. I'm not quite sure of the attribution, but this video is titled 'Emmanuel Hatungimana - Rwanda Nziza'. Again, this is 'Beautiful Rwanda', but I'm not sure if this is the same song as already posted.

We haven't had much jazz yet. I couldn't find really good clips. The Makumbi Sound are based in Kigali and play 'Afro Jazz'. It sounds fine to me, though I'm not sure they have that distinctive a style. This is described as 'Live Afro Jazz in Kigali - Indian Summer'.

Reading about jazz in Rwanda, I learned of Hope Irakoze, who has recorded this song 'Kodi'. He describes it himself like this:

A song to all the landlords from the tenants. That at this trial time of covid-19 they continue maintaining their trust to the tenant who are not able to afford Kodi(RENT). Stay and care about your brother and sister.

Hope Irakoze also leads the band Three Hills Band. I read about them in an article about jazz in Rwanda, but their music didn't sound much like jazz to me, and I've gone for the previous song.

EDIT: Perhaps this is just a modern pop song, but I think this has some nice points and is worth a listen. 'On Fire' by Andy Bumuntu.

EDIT: I can still edit? I noted that several people from different countries had covered Rwandan Francois Nkurunziza's folk song 'Gikundiro'. So, I thought I'd find the original, and I think it was worth it.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    john hp and Jamsterdammer like this.
  4. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Some nice selections including for me Sophie Nzayisenga, the Good Ones, and Francois Nkurunziza.

Many of the recent Rwandan pop songs I sampled appeared to have had the autotune dial turned to the right as far as it would go; but I did like 'Madede' by Marina from the beginning of this year.

Marina on crossing borders with her music

HitAndRun and Jamsterdammer like this.
  5. HitAndRun

Thanks John. I looked into the two other artists on the same label as Marina, but they had they had the auto-tune turned way up.

One of my search patterns for countries is "Rwandan singer-songwriter". This illustrated for me some of the issues with Rwanda. I found singer-songwriter Simon Bikindi, who died in prison after having been convicted at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda of having incited genocide. He died in prison, and I don't want to post any of his music.

On the other hand, Kizito Mihigo was a gospel singer who lost his father and other relatives in the genocide. He made reconciliation a major theme in his work. However, he became a critic of the government and fell from favour. While he was originally feted by the government, his song 'Igisobanuro Cy'urupfu' challenged the official narrative that only Tutsis died in the genocide, which made him unpopular with the government. His music was banned and shortly after he disappeared, only to reappear when the government revealed that it had arrested him. He then died in prison, at the age of 38, in very suspicious circumstances. This isn't the best video quality version of this very long song, but it has English subtitles. More information here: Kizito Mihigo: The Rwandan gospel singer who died in a police cell He did say that if he had his time again, he would still write the song as he feels it was something that had to be said.

The very first song I posted 'featured' Mihigo, but I thought I wanted to tell his story properly.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2020
  6. HitAndRun

Thanks for the music, everyone.

Today is the Rest/Catch-up Day not exclusively for P, Q, & R.

And, today I think I actually need to use it to rest and catch up.

I'll post some easy choices - tracks from my notes not yet posted.

Here is Russian Harpist Olga Glazova, with 'Best Wishes for Summer'. She is said to sing too.

The comments on this sprightly Romanian folk tune suggest it is popular around the world. This is Taraf de Haïdouks with 'Dumbala Dumba'.

Marta Dias was born in Sao Tome et Principe, but grew up and made her career in Portugal. I initially moved her from Sao Tome et Principe to Portugal and then didn't post her song. So, it fits today. Here is 'Socopé'.

Finally, I never posted this Paraguayan young lady doing a 'bottle dance'. The video is just titled 'Paraguayan girl performing an impressive Bottle Dance'.

Tomorrow we're in St. Kitts & Nevis. We will break half-way through the S's as about half the remaining countries start with 'S'.

7. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

A bit of conscious hip-hip from Russia.
    Two guys from St.Petersburg (a.k.a. the cultural capital of Russia) under the influence from Beastie Boys.
    A novelty song or a social satire?
    Back in the days it aired on Russian MTV. Not possible today.

Чугунный скороход (Cast-iron Fastwalker) - Пидоры идут (LGBT is coming)

Jamsterdammer, HitAndRun and john hp like this.
  8. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

As I've already posted most of what I had for the P-R countries we have already visited, I'll make a quick online visit to Puerto Rico "an unincorporated territory of the United States"

This has been posted as "Bomba" with the explanation -

"Bomba is both a traditional dance and a musical style of Puerto Rico. Its origins are rooted in the island's history of African slavery, but today it has become a communal expression of Afro-Puerto Rican culture in celebration of our African ancestry. Bomba is truly a creative and interactive relationship between dancers, percussionists, and singers. Today it is practiced as a community activity in its centers of origin in Loíza, Santurce, Mayagüez and Ponce. Additionally, Puerto Rican migrants have carried the tradition to some parts of the United States. Enjoy my culture!"

De Bandazo - Choco Orta & Chamir Bonano

Choco Orta - Wikipedia
    Chamir Bonano

This is Maso Rivera - "Maso interprets for us here a very popular merengue known as EL SANCOCHO PRIETO that was popularized by the great Johnny Ventura, who is another merengue master."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FXvogDEBZU&ab_channel=Prof.JUANP.RIVERA
    Tomás Rivera Morales - Wikipedia
    Johnny Ventura - Wikipedia (from Santo Domingo)

From last month, a Tiny Desk (Home) Concert in Miami by Ozuna a "reggaeton and Latin trap singer"- 14 minutes in total; to date I've only listened to the first three minute song 'Caramelo' which has little less autotune, and fewer women in bikinis (none), than the official video posted a few months previously
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK1uBBv83M0&ab_channel=NPRMusic
    Ozuna (singer) - Wikipedia

Kaleidoscope were once considered "the crown jewel of Mexican Garage Psychedelia" but it transpired that although their extremely rare 1969 LP was pressed in Mexico (apparently no more than 200-600 promotional copies) the group originated and had recorded the LP in the Dominican Republic, joined by a guitarist from Spain; and two musicians from Puerto Rico who had written and sung on eight of the ten tracks on the album, including 'Colours' ("This was based on a trip of discovery to the wonderlands I once took. It has become the most popular of the album." - Francisco Tirado)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLXECIiVdNM&ab_channel=scrambledheadz
    Kaleidoscope (5) - Kaleidoscope
    Kaleidoscope interview with Francisco Tirado - It's Psychedelic Baby Magazine
    Not to be confused with other groups of the same name.

I imagine Jose Feliciano may be the most successful musician born in Puerto Rico*; he moved with his family to Spanish Harlem in NYC when he was five. He is best known for his interpretations of others' songs, but this is an original, written with his first wife Hilda, 'Quit While You're Ahead' (1966)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZZC40HXnCY&ab_channel=45rpmMike
    José Feliciano - Wikipedia
    * but a more successful one has already been mentioned below

9. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

If countries had a territorial size that was proportional to their musical legacy, then Puerto Rico on that map would appear to be as huge as Canada (or even bigger).

For such a small nation, Puerto Rico has been the epicenter of a vast and rich musical tradition that has had a lasting influence throughout Latin America and beyond. Virtually every orchestra, every ensemble, every composer and every singer here is legendary. From renowned salsa institutions such as El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico, Raphy Leavitt y su Orquesta la Selecta, all the way to pop heavyweights such as Luis Fonsi (known worldwide for Despacito) Marc Anthony (of Puerto Rican descent) or even Ricky Martin.

Puerto Rico was the birthplace of arguably the greatest salsa singer that ever existed, Mr. Héctor Lavoe. Here is his trademark song "El cantante".

Jamsterdammer, HitAndRun and john hp like this.
  10. HitAndRun

Puerto Rico! I had a major panic when I saw your post @Laibach. I thought we had forgotten Puerto Rico. I wasn't fully aware of its status being less than an independent country. I will admit to my geographical ignorance of at first thinking that Puerto Rico had been omitted by mistake.

I see that one style of folk music in Puerto Rico is Jibaro music, which is the music of farmers of mainly Spanish descent. One song that Google gave me is 'Le Lo Lai' by Sandra Roldan.

Jazz musician and composer William Cepeda is said to be a Puerto Rican cultural icon. Here is some of his latin tinged Jazz music with 'Afrorican Jam'. I'm hurrying to get something for Puerto Rico and haven't listened to every second of these tracks, but what I'm hearing from this track is very well done Jazz. When I googled Puerto Rican Jazz I mainly found artists of Puerto Rican descent who pretty much just work in America. I don't know for sure, but Cepeda seems more domiciled in Puerto Rico. More information here: The Puerto Rico Project: Musicians After the Storm - Latin Jazz Network

Sounding like salsa to me is El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico with 'Me Liberé'. I'e made jokes before about finding band name that confirm country of origin, and I see that you've definitely got one there, so I'll post a song.

As soon as I saw the picture of Ani Cordero on womex.com I thought I would end up posting a track by her. This is 'Pan Pan (Sin Mantequilla)' Featuring Émina. While I prefer the music of 'Pan Pan', 'Choferito' has a video showing Puerto Rico.

[​IMG]

And, I'll make an EDITed apology to @John Hp for seeing @Laibach's post first and then panicking and jumping into action without having read John's post. It seems that it's only me that forgot Puerto Rico. I checked, and I haven't posted any of the same songs and artists as John. So, phew!

11. HitAndRun

In response to @leshafunk, your track inspired me to look up a LGBTQ+ Russian Musician. Among others I found Diana Arbenina.

'Диана Арбенина. Ночные Снайперы - Раскалённые' is how the video is labelled on YT. I can patten match the first two words to her name, but can't work out which part is the song title. I'd describe this as modern pop/rock.

12. This is Colombian band Fruko Y Sus Tesos with Joe Arroyo on lead vocals performing their hit song "El Cocinero Mayor" ("The Chief Cook"), which is a very danceable tune. Salsa purists usually dismiss Fruko's music because they don't consider it "real" salsa. But while it definitely doesn't follow the typical salsa form and style, it has a sound of its own, and it's a fresh one in my opinion.

Notice the conga (percussion) pattern from 1:30 to 2:11 and from 3:59 up to the end of the tune. That pattern is known as "a caballo" ("riding a horse"). It adds a lot of drive to the music.

13. And continuing with the salsa theme, check the best sonero* ever from below Puerto Rico (in my opinion and many others'). Mr. Óscar D'León, from Venezuela. As you can see and hear, he's not just the best South American sonero but a terrific bass player as well. This is a 100% live recording , so his singing, dancing and playing are real. He even plays a dud note on his bass at 2:41.

(Warning: this is LOUD, and YouTube's loudness normalization doesn't work here - I don't know why. Maybe because it's an 11-year old video?)

*: Son singers are generally known as soneros, and the verb sonear describes not only their singing but also their vocal improvisation

Laibach and HitAndRun like this.
  14. Jamsterdammer

Great to see so much love for Puerto Rican music. I agree with @Laibach that it is a giant of Latin music.

Another great musician to come out of Puerto Rico, and probably my favorite after Héctor Lavoe, is Eddie Palmieri, who has been making music since 1961 is still going strong. The psychedelic revolution of the second half of the 60s and early 70s was of course not confined to the Anglo-Saxon world. In Africa and Latin America, various musicians started experimenting with psychedelics and incorporate that in their music. Eddie Palmieri and his band were in my view particularly adept at this for a while. "Vámonos pa'l monte" (Let's go to the mountain) from 1971 is one of the heaviest and druggiest-sounding salsas ever recorded:

And let's not forget Ismael Rivera y Sus Cachombos, who released a phenomenal album in 1974 called "Traigo De Todo". The best-known song from this album is "El Nazareno":
    https://youtu.be/fDj-CSQDbsY

But I actually prefer "Que te pasa a ti" (What is happening to you) from the same album: https://youtu.be/PehO11pWqgg

Moving from "salsa dura" to "salsa romántica", here is Paquito Guzmán with "Deja la luz encendida" (Leave the lights on):
    https://youtu.be/Sa7Y8DnGp58

And I just need to post another classic track from the great Héctor Lavoe. Here is "Periodico de ayer" (Yesterday's newspaper):
    https://youtu.be/9mMNnfh2vGo

I visited Puerto Rico in early 1990 when I was living in the Dominican Republic. I went there to buy a second-hand car as they were much cheaper there than in DR. This was before internet and mobile phones so I just went to San Juan, bought newspapers and looked in the classified sections for cars. I got a nice Toyota Corolla for $5,000 dollars, which I put on the boat to Santo Domingo. After two years I managed to sell that same car in Santo Domingo for $10,000! One of the better deals I've made.:D

john hp, HitAndRun and Laibach like this.
  15. After vocalist Joe Arroyo left Fruko's band in the early 80s, he created his own band called "La Verdad" ("The Truth"). And, while he kept creating and singing salsa tunes, he also came up with a rhythm called Joesón ("son from Joe"), based on Antillean rhythms. Here's one of his biggest hits as a solo artist, a Joesón called "La Noche" ("The Night").

Laibach, Jamsterdammer and HitAndRun like this.
  16. HitAndRun

Thanks @Hail Vinyl! and @Jamsterdammer.

Great score with the $5000 Toyota Corolla.

A lot of Latin music today that I have enjoyed. I also wanted to say that I do get confused as to what is psychedelic or not. However, the song/video 'Colours' by Kaleidoscope looks and sounds exactly as I imagine psychedelic music to sound/look like, and even the name of the band sounds psychedelic.

I wanted to post something 'Polynesian'. Pauly Fuemana of OMC (Otara Millionaires Club) is half Maori and half Niuean. The song 'How Bizarre' was a hit around the world. Sadly Fuemana's life did not go well after that and there were a number of things that contributed to him being a one hit wonder. And, he became cynical about the music business and believed he should have received more royalties from the song. And then he died early at age 40. Sad that he didn't have more of a career and achieve more. OMC was a duo of Pauly Fuemana and his elder brother Phil Fuemana, who also died early.

Fuemana was credited with creating the Urban Pasifika genre, another proponent of which and also half Niuean and half Maori is Che Fu. This is a bit 'Island Reggae' but here is Che Fu with 'Fade Away' which was a big hit in NZ.

Some time ago I planned to cover Pasifika/Polynesian bands in more detail today. However, I keep finding that either bands such as Te Vaka have already been covered, or I found songs for countries still to be covered. I'm going to add another Te Vaka song. This is 'Pate Pate', and the video was filmed in Macau with the Heilani Dancers.

Laibach, Jamsterdammer and john hp like this.
  17. Since you lived in Dominican Republic, you are familiar with Dominican Merengue. Here's a very famous one in the Latin world, including a backstory (with English subtitles):

18. Jamsterdammer

OK, and now for something completely different. the Pitcairn Islands constitute the only British Oversees Territory in the Pacific Ocean. The total permanent population is only 43, descended mostly from nine Bounty mutineers and a handful of Tahitian captives landing on the uninhabited islands in 1789. And even though the permanent population is just 43, they of course like music. So here are three videos of music from Pitcairn:

This is Trent Christian playing the unofficial island anthem "We're From Pitcairn Island":

This is labeled only as "Pitcairn Song", but the video shows an old photograph of what must have been almost the entire population when it was taken:
    https://youtu.be/j7rcG4EokTM

And finally, Pitcairn Islanders Singing "In the Sweet Bye and Bye", again showing a good chunk of the total population:
    https://youtu.be/spnZ_KWjW3c

Laibach, john hp and HitAndRun like this.
  19. HitAndRun

Thanks @Jamsterdammer

Just making a non-musical comment. We mentioned before that music may get associated with something else - e.g. The Blue Danube Waltz for me = biscuits.

When talking about the Rwandan stringed instrument the 'inanga',

[​IMG]

I couldn't clear it from my mind that in New Zealand we call the following thing an inanga.

[​IMG]

Searching on google images, it appears that these are the only two things in the world called 'inanga'.

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  20. Jamsterdammer

That's great! Something similar, but nothing to do with music (but with fish and Russia so it counts, I guess) is that in Russian you have the word икра (ikra), which can mean two things: 1) roe (of a fish); 2) calf (of a leg). These two meanings have nothing remotely in common, so it is just pure coincidence that the same word is used for both, right? Well, in my language, we have the word kuit. And guess what? It means both roe and calf.... Coincidence? I guess not. But this has baffled me for years now and I can't find a connection or something that would explain it.

Soopernaut and HitAndRun like this.
  21. HitAndRun

Thanks for the music, everyone.

Today we're in Saint Kitts and Nevis.

I'm going to start with the Ultra Sonic Band, and their song True Nevisian (Celebrate). This song is said to have been for the Nevis Culturama festival. I don't know if this is the song with which they won the festival in 2010.

Recorded in 2017, so not about the current situation, here is Epidemic by Raynaldon 'X Ray' Bartlette. It's energetic, to say the least.

Joan Armatrading was born in Saint Kitts and Nevis. But, like a number of other Caribbean born artists, she seems British to me.

One form of music popular in St Kitts and Nevis is 'Big drum music'. Here's an example, just called 'Big drum music, an example'.

Finally, here's singer-songwriter Wendy St. Kitts, unsurprisingly from St. Kitts, with her song Woman Empowered. St. Kitts credits Armatrading among her influences.

Tomorrow we're in Saint Lucia.

22. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Thanks for getting us started on St. Kitts and Nevis, 'Woman Empowered' being my favourite so far, although I did note that the YT posting has apparently received no more than 21 views since 2015.

I'll start with (King) Konris (Maynard); the winner of the Saint Kitts and Nevis National Calypso Show four times in succession, a record only he holds according to wikipedia.

This is 'Take the Oath' from 2009. He was quoted at the time - "The song is saying that no one is allowed to jam during Carnival without taking an oath to love the country and to always be there to care and put the country first. The song says - For this Carnival I want to see you raise your hands up to the sky ... it's time to take an oath so that no more young souls will die" ... He was "fed up of hearing about the senseless killings in the country and wanted to create a song with a strong message, and also one that could be entertaining and used on the road during Carnival."

He is now a politician and was elected as a member of the opposition party in 2015. The Carnival lasts for around six weeks each year culminating on 2nd January - this year's "virtual carnival" was due to start yesterday.
    SKNVibes | King Konris is asking people to ‘Take the Oath’
    Caribbean Elections Biography | Konris Maynard
    https://www.kariculture.net/en/st-kitts-nevis-is-preparing-its-virtual-carnival/

'Party Time' by Earth Tones Brass from 1978
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qfS-6IRnt0&ab_channel=JamesMcCall
    and here as E.T.Brass in more of a reggae style - 'Perhaps' from the LP "Everything's Gonna be Alright"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQ6vPVt-MQ&ab_channel=MatteoFava
    aka 'Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps' from 1940s Cuba via 1970s Jamaica
    Former Earth Tones Brass Leader Passes

'The Poor Can't Take No More' by King Ellie Matt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NUM--rtPbo&ab_channel=JermaineLake
    SKNVibes | Ellie Matt comes home

Joan Armatrading is definitely British and from Birmingham, but that could not persuade from not including 'Down to Zero' today.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brp8Va8XVQw&ab_channel=buzz834

23. HitAndRun

Thanks @john hp. Some very good songs there with good messages. Particularly 'The Poor Can Take No More'. Joan Armatrading is great, as always.

I'm aware that the next few days might be a bit samey with mixed cultures. But, I clicked on an article linked to from the article on King Ellie Matt. It seems that King Socrates is another St Kitts and Nevis calypso singer, and has recorded a Covid-19 song 'This Too Shall Pass'. I would have preferred his song 'The Real Heath Scare', but couldn't find audio or video. I couldn't find the lyrics for 'This Too Shall Pass', and there seems to be a lot of conspiracy theorising going on. So, I post this song with significant caveats about the lyrics.

There are a lot of patriotic songs about St Kitts and Nevis, but I am running into a lot of songs that are generic pop and/or autotuned to death. But I'll include this one, 'SK Sweet' by Collin Wyatt featuring 'Dagah'.

And one more, this is the Small Axe Band with 'Stink & Dutty Soca'. I don't know what that means (apart from the 'Soca' but.)

EDIT: I found Small Axe Band in an article on a Jazz festival in St Kitts & Nevis. Though, none of the 'local favourites' were Jazz. One other musician visited was Masud Sadiki. When I looked him up, I found that he died, his body being found hanging from a tree. Very sad. I'll include one of his songs, the anti-crime song 'A Wonder How'.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Israel and I absolutely love his bass playing and his music in general. Highly recommended!

[​IMG]
    Adam Ben Ezra ‎– Can't Stop Running
    Label: Not On Label (Adam Ben Ezra Self-released) ‎– none
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: 2015
    Genre: Jazz, Folk, World, & Country

[​IMG]
    Adam Ben Ezra ‎– Hide And Seek
    Format: CD, Album, Stereo
    Released: 2019
    Genre: Jazz, Folk, World, & Country

[​IMG]

Adam Ben Ezra ‎– Pin Drop
    Label: Ropeadope ‎– RAD-340
    Format: CD, Album
    Released: 19 May 2017
    Genre: Jazz

[​IMG]

Adam Ben Ezra ‎– Solo EP
    Format: CDr, EP
    Released: 2013
    Genre: Jazz

They are not necessarily easy to come by with Pin Drop probably the most accessible and EP near impossible.

HitAndRun likes this.
  25. Jamsterdammer

Thanks for the great selections this morning for Saint Kitts & Nevis. I didn't have high expectations of finding much that would not be a repetition of what was already posted, but I think my search turned out better than I thought.

I really like the Odisi Band. The band was formed in 2002, when a young group of talented guys brought fresh, quality music straight out of Brick Kiln, Nevis. They seem to be a fun-loving bunch and the video to the song "I Can Assure You" clearly shows a great party going on. Around the 3 minute mark it starts getting out of hand and somewhat NSFW:

Mod Stoney is a rapper from Saint Kitts and while I am a generally not a big fan of rap, I thought this song is actually quite OK. Here is Mod Stoney Ft Rodney with "How You Mean":
    https://youtu.be/TfK-gZDeJK8

Ras Kelley & The Rhythm Band are a typical Soca band. The reason I am posting this song called "Serious Ting" is because it brought back memories of a visit I made to Trinidad & Tobago in December 2010, when preparations and pre-concerts for carnival where in full swing. This is very high octane stuff:
    https://youtu.be/8olaMQyOoBY?list=ULh0dZDcdC09k

And now I am going to cheat a bit. Omari Banks is NOT from Saint Kitts & Nevis, but from Anguilla, a British Oversees Territory that used to be administered from Saint Kitts and was incorporated in the associated state of Saint Kitts-Nevis-Anguilla in 1967. However, Anguilla did not want to be part of this union and eventually broke away and stayed under British rule. I really liked this performance by Omari Banks in Saint Kitts and as we won't really have an opportunity to post anything by him elsewhere, let's do it here. This is Omari Banks Live At The St Kitts Music Festival Performing Oh Africa:
    https://youtu.be/mjqLKMn9PZc

HitAndRun and john hp like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.