A Musical Tour of the World: All Countries A-Z One Per Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HitAndRun, Jun 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Great selections by everyone and it seems there is some good music on Seychelles. John was very timely in posting the song by Mia & the Relations as today is International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. Well done!

I liked Ken & Paquerette quite a bit. After listening, autoplay played another old song called "Ti Kreol Leo" by Joseph Louise. The video has old photographs of the Seychelles:

Sonny Morgan lives in Perth, Australia, but is from the Seychelles and plays reggae/sega beat music that maintains its roots in the Seychelles. Here is "Rasta Man":
    https://youtu.be/BaxRRcLkHdU

Looking for some jazz, I came across something called "Sanmenm mon lanmizik" by Julien Alexis and produced by Darren Bonnelame, who also produces some of Sonny Morgan's music. This is extremely smooooooooooooooooth jazz and much too tame for my liking:
    https://youtu.be/jCrnBE0disQ

Sandra Esparon sings catchy pop tunes like this one called "Pa abandonn mon leker":
    https://youtu.be/E6cdTXp9yDE

Sandra Esparon also sang on a big hit from 2005 called "San ou (La riviere)" by Seychellois music band Dezil:
    https://youtu.be/RFI-nazKyVI

I will have to skip Sierra Leone tomorrow and possibly also whatever country we are doing on Friday as I will be travelling without much access to Internet. I'll be back on Saturday.

john hp likes this.
  2. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks @John Hp and @Jamsterdammer. I've listened to all the music. Another varied and enjoyable selection. Thanks for marking International Stop Violence Against Women Day.

@Jamsterdammer - I also haven't found Jazz from the Seychelles that was particularly distinctive. There are only two albums on Discogs.com which combined the tags of Seychelles and Jazz, and both are by artists we've already had music from. And neither sound like Jazz to me. There are some initiatives such as Jazzchelles, and some Jazz festivals, but I couldn't find real evidence of headway.

Here is some nice singer-songwriter music from Isham Rath, with 'Ferm Ou Lizye'. I like his singing and the low key video in particular.

This is another low-key song. 'Eski' by 'Taniah Seychelles'. More about her here: A Seychellois singer whose latest album sold out wins best female artist

This is another day I have less than I am happy with. Benting Crispin is a Seychelloise singer/songwriiter, but I think he lives on Reunion. (Despite his YT channel being 'Benting Seychelles'.) This is some poppy reggae 'Pa Pe War Mon'.

I found a National Cultural Troupe, but I didn't find a video I was happy with. To be honest I found the numerous videos of them on YT to be rather disappointing. While this is probably recorded on a phone or similar, I prefer this percussion and singing at the beach. Inluding the 'Moutya' drum. Described as: 'Moutya SeSel - Seychelles Moutia singers'.

Enjoy your travels @Jamsterdammer.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Jamsterdammer and john hp like this.
  3. Jamsterdammer

Thanks and please post something from S.E. Rogie tomorrow if you don't have him already in your list!

HitAndRun likes this.
  4. HitAndRun

That was easy. Checked my first post for tomorrow, and S. E. Rogie is there :)

BTW: I searched for Seychelles folk music. An article I read said there isn't a distinctive folk music of the Seychelles, but that people from different origins bought their folk music with them.

I found an album "Seychelles - Forgotten Music of the Islands". It includes 'The Seychelles' highly diversified ethnic groups in a mosaic of dances and music of Madagascan, African, English, Irish and Scottish origins.'

This music sounds much more 'folk', than I expected to find. It reminds me of the music of the Central African Foragers, and often features the musical bow.

I can't find the music on YT, so must link to the whole album. I would have liked to have posted track 14, 'Dzindzin Kololo', which is a Rower's song, with traditional male singers, musical bow, and traditional percussion. It's 2:16 long. It can be listened to by going to the album's page, and scrolling down to find it.

john hp and Jamsterdammer like this.
  5. Jamsterdammer

Yes, this is pretty hard core folk music, but nice find. Meanwhile I found an example of traditional dance music (in this case the contredanse) played in the salons of Seychelles. Here is "La Valse des Roses & Ou get mon lipye byen" by and Kanmtole d'Anse Boileau from the 1980s:

And just a random track I found by an artists called Joel Servina with "Leko Tambour" from an album called Hits of Seychelles, vol. 2:
    https://youtu.be/nYHkwKnSyNg

john hp and HitAndRun like this.
  6. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

This song must have been the basis for 'Ding Ding Kololo' my first selection this morning by Jany.

Thanks for all the Seychelles music, I particularly liked 'La Valse des Roses' and also the big hit by Dezil. This is the only other clip I have left to post - 'Oun dir' by Janaa, posted to YT this year, but apparently from a while ago - it's probably only half a track as it cuts off suddenly at 2:14

Me & Myself, an exotic mix of genres from Janaa - Archive - Seychelles Nation

Jamsterdammer and HitAndRun like this.
  7. HitAndRun

Thanks @Jamsterdammer and @John Hp.

I had a search for country music in the Seychelles. In the same way that they are promoting Jazz there but as of yet don't really have an indigenous scene, the same may apply to country and western music. Or, I might just have not found it yet.

Music Promoter Barry Laine, in 2010, promoted a country music jamboree in the Seychelles with foreign musical guests John Davis and Kay D from the UK. The jamboree was a part of a bigger project, the Triple X Country Project, whose aims were: the jamboree, to record an album of country music, and also to purchase a pedal steel guitar and teach someone to play it. As the instrument is essential to country music. This article explains.

There are clips online of Barry Laine himself singing and playing. I'm not sure all that expertly. Here is some footage from the 'hoedown' as it has been described. An excerpt from 'Banks of the Ohio' by Barry Laine. Featuring land crabs. There are other videos from the jamboree with sea turtles.

Going back in time, John Wirtz & The New Les Boys' song 'Chanter Danser' sounds to my ears to be unpretentious Sega music, and it works for me. Sega music is said to be primarily a music from Mauritius, but it has also been popular in Reunion and the Seychelles. And, of course, was combined with reggae to create seggae.

EDIT: Replacing an error where I went around in circles and posted something already posted above ... Grace Barbé is a Seychelloise singer living in Australia. She won an award for her recording of the traditional Creole song 'Mardilo'. She said that she wanted to showcase the culture of the Seychelles.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Jamsterdammer likes this.
  8. Jamsterdammer

Tried to look for gospel, but what I found was horrendous (should've known better). But here is something cool: Angie Arnephy (born c. 1997), also known as Angie, is a Seychellois singer and an ex-beauty pageant contestant. Shortly after contesting at Miss Seychelles 2015, she went into music, releasing her hit debut single "Bers Mon Lavi dan ou Love" which won her Best New Artist at the Airtel Music Awards 2015. The song definitely didn't become a hit just because of her looks:

john hp and HitAndRun like this.
  9. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

This isn't horrendous (imo) - 'En Soley' by Erica & Billy

HitAndRun and Jamsterdammer like this.
  10. Jamsterdammer

True :)

HitAndRun likes this.
  11. HitAndRun

Thanks for all the music, everyone.

Today we're in Sierra Leone.

I'm going to start with something modern and international. This is singer/songwriter Mariama Jalloh with 'Coffee and Wine' Jalloh was born in Freetown, Sierra Leone, but now lives in France.

From the reliable Real World Records, here is Koneh Pelawoe by S.E. Rogie, from the album 'Dead Men Don't Smoke Marijuana'. Rogie was a Highlife and Palm Wine singer/guitarist.m

Here's some traditional music, from the album Music of the Mende of Sierra Leone. The Mende are one of the two largest ethnic/cultural groups in Sierra Leone. This is just described as 'Mende Music by Salia Koroma'. More information on Koroma here: Sierra Leone Journal - Salia Koroma . However as an either-or for Mende Music from the same album, here is 'Mende Music by ... Women Singing'.

Here is the Kondi Band, which are a collaboration between Sierra Leonian thumb piano player Sorie Kondi and North American DJ Chief Boima. Their music mixes electronic with African folk music, but sounds much more folk music to me. So, I'll include it here. This is the song Don Don Mi Money.

Tomorrow we're in Singapore.

12. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Thanks for the usual varied selection. In the predicted absence of Jamsterdammer (who will be much missed) today, I'll add some more from S.E. Rogie. This is a clip from Dutch TV in 1989 in which he expresses his liking for the country music of the American "Singing Brakeman" Jimmie Rodgers* (1897-1933); prior to singing 'I wish I was a cowboy'
    (* unless he was referring to Roy Rogers (1911-1988) "The King of the Cowboys" ?)

And as a track from his final album has been posted, here's an early single, issued on his own Rogie label in 1962 - 'Please Go Easy With Me'; as later included on the compilation "The Sounds of S.E. Rogie Volume 1" aka "Palm Wine Guitar Music (The 60's Sound)". It was apparently sampled last year on the track 'Rich Man' by the US band Vampire Weekend (who as far as I'm aware I have never heard)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7FXFzpAwpA&ab_channel=MoosTheMonk
    S. E. Rogers And His Guitar* - Please Go Easy With Me
    S. E. Rogie - The 60's Sounds Of S. E. Rogie Vol. 1
    S.E. ROGIE (SOOLIMAN ERNEST ROGERS) - King of Palm Wine Guitar Music from Sierra Leone, West Africa - Songs: My Lovely Elizabeth, Dead Men Don't Smoke Marijuana

Chief Boima's work on the Sorie Kondi song seems quite tasteful, but I will add the video for the unremixed 'Without Money, No Family' (which appears to have been the first track that Chief Boima later worked on)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhxXgX-wA-w&ab_channel=vedicaudio
    And here's an extract from a 2009 25 minute documentary "Life on the Edge II" together with some background information
    Life on the Edge 2 | Sorie K and the MDGs | tve

More to follow once I have decided what to post ...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  13. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

One comment suggests that 'Let Them Talk' (ca. 2011) by "Sierra Leone's most popular female Artist" Laurish (aka R. Conteh; Lady Laurish) is "The best song ever, Will never get old" although I was more than a little taken aback when someone appears to be unaccountably deliberately poisoned in the video ...

Lady Laurish Hits Again – Sierra Express Media

Now the ultra-colourful video for 'God Bless' by Louise (Luwiz) which premiered on YT last month - "God bless is a fusion of sounds with a strong “Bubu”lead (Authentic Sierra Leonean sound). This song like all her others, comes straight from her heart."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI-vrnqtuok&ab_channel=LatestSierraLeoneMusic🇸🇱

Also from this year 'No More War' by Steady Bongo (aka Lansana Sheriff)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvMHgIowbuY&ab_channel=RecentSierraLeoneMusic
    Sierra Leone popular musician Steady Bongo says – Salone we want no more war

And the Sierra Leone reggae diva Khady Black (aka Khadyjah Fofanah) with a video filmed in Kingston-upon-Hull in the UK - 'Mr. Goverment' from 2005. Wikipedia notes that she appeared in Hull at a 2007 event marking the bicentenary of the abolition of the slave trade.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AUDD7ESYAw&ab_channel=JonRobson
    Khady Black - Wikipedia

That's enough from me for now.

14. HitAndRun

Thanks @John Hp. I was also taken aback by the poisoning in Laurish's video. It reminded me a bit about the Filipino rapper who portrayed himself as a serial killer. Rather a surprise in such an upbeat song.

S.E.Rogie doing country was interesting. He's had a long career and has clearly done a lot. I did try googling his name and various

With the absence of @Jamsterdammer, I've tried to think of something (other than S. E. Rogie) that he would appreciate. I will have a go with 'Dr Oloh and his Milo Jazz Band, who is said to be one of the biggest musicians in Sierra Leone. This is 'Yawohammi' from a John Peel session.

Among your excellent selections I liked the Sori Kondi song the best. I like the thumb piano and that instrument may well reappear tonight if my plans come to fruition. I didn't catch all the lyrics in Steady Bongo's enjoyable song, but I did appreciate the sentiment of the title and what I heard. Same for 'Mr. Government'.

Ebenezer Calendar & his Maringar Band are said to have adopted Caribbean styles in their music, and I can really hear it. This is 'Lumley'.

While there is quite a bit of autotune on the song 'Sweet Vybez' by Mijay, I think it suits the style of song and I'll let this one through. It's an interesting arrangement, though I'll pointedly include this video of her singing along to it in a 'freestyle' performance. Clearly she can sing it.

Fantacee Wiz is described as a 'folk singer', but I'm not sure this song is 'folk'. It's a song with a quite modern arrangement, and counting of numbers in English. 'Tampale'.

Mijay and Fantacee Wiz are two of the artists mentioned in this article on female Sierra Leonean artists: Women in Sierra Leone music

EDIT: I got a bit confused as there seems to be more than one band called 'African Connection'. I *hope* this is the right African Connexion, led by Mwana Musa. The band is truly international, but is led by Sierra Leonean Musa. This is 'C'est La Dance (Kwanza Kwanza)'.

EDIT: And, as soon as I finish the post and go and get my pudding, I find something of interest. This is 'Gowa' by Afro National from their 1978 album 'Tropical Funkmusic'. I think the title fits the music very well. I searched on Sierra Leone and Jazz on Discogs and it gave me only one album. Which isn't really Jazz. But, at least it was (in my opinion) good music.

15. HitAndRun

This one's a bit marginal. Bluesman Bai Kamara Jr. was born in Sierra Leone, to a politician father and an ambassador mother. However, his family had to leave Sierra Leone, and at 15 he was moved to England. Later he moved to Brussels where he lives today. He Here he is with the definitely bluesy 'Fortune'. The music starts @ 0:27. He is quite active in charity and advocacy work: Bai Kamara - Wikipedia

16. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Thanks for the latest selection from which I particularly enjoyed the "freestyle" Mijay, and Ebenezer Calendar. I have the African Connexion track on a compilation of releases on Charlie Gillett and Gordon Nelki's Oval label, and the notes confirm that this is the group formed by Mwana Musa who later returned to Sierra Leone to be a politician, although he "continues to release music sporadically, sometimes under the name Musa K."

Amongst my remaining selections is 'My Africa' from 2017 by Rozzy Sokota (one of those mentioned in the Women in Sierra Leone music article) which I have to warn does have the autotune dial turned up a fair way.

Wikipedia notes that Ebenezer Calendat had a Barbadian or Jamaican father and a Creole mother. This YT posting indicates that 'Fire, Fire, Fire' was his most popular song - I see that S.E. Rogie performed both this song and 'Lumley' in tribute
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3jorkz5J7A&ab_channel=KaibaraCity
    Ebenezer Calendar - Wikipedia

This is 'Kpei' by Bobby, who in the video is like the subject of the song 'Trucker from Tennessee" by Link Davis ..."swings a guitar, but he doesn't play" ... - once again I have no idea what is going on in parts of the video ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW7JwuXFoRs&ab_channel=mohamedmansaray
    Musician of the Week: Bobby

I usually try to avoid posting anything on this thread that would not fit on one side of a 7" single, but I do make an exception for NPR Tiny Desk Concerts - this is Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars 2011 appearance which lasts seventeen minutes in total, but the first song 'Jah Come Down' will only take up five minutes of your time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJscRYBmIg&ab_channel=NPRMusic
    https://www.cumbancha.com/sierraleonesrefugeeallstars

17. HitAndRun

Thanks John. I've listened to all your new tracks except the NPR concert which I will listen to from now.

The following two tracks were ones I found in a reasonably productive burst of search earlier on that I decided to leave here until you or someone else posted again. They don't really follow on from what you've posted.

Goodnight and see you online tomorrow!

Janka Nagay was described as the Bubu King. After starting his career in Sierra Leone he left for the USA, but sadly passed away back in Sierra Leone in 2018. This sounds to have quite a distinctive style to me, but it may be because I don't know the style. This is Janka Nabay & the Bubu Gang with 'Sabanoh'. More information here: The Legacy of Janka Nabay, Sierra Leonean Music's 'Bubu King'

Electronic music producer Lamin Fofana is another musician who left Sierra Leone as a refugee. After fleeing Sierra Leone to Guinea when young because of he civil war in Sierra Leone, he moved to the US as a teenager, and then to Berlin in 2016. Here is his track 'Like White Lightning Up a Black Snake's Ass'.

18. HitAndRun

Thanks for the music everyone.

Today we're in Singapore.

I'm going to start with late 1980s comedy star Dick Lee, and his rap song 'Rasa Sayang', describing Singapore. I bought this when it came out - his albums were released and he had some success in Japan. Rasa Sayang is a Malay folk song, and it seems a very common name for restaurants in the UK.

Here's some 1960s instrumental music, from the band The Quests, which might be influenced by The Shadows and/or The Ventures. As these songs are quite frequently covers, I thought I'd make sure I had an original. This is Shanty, written by their bass player Henry Chua. I found another song with The Quests' and singer Keith Locke on a cover of Joe Jones' 'You Talk Too Much'. Keith Locke was lead singer of the band for part of their history. The Quests - Wikipedia

Here is some modern singer-songwriter music + electronics by Lingying. The song is 'Sticky Leaves'. Wikipedia: Linying (singer-songwriter) - Wikipedia

We haven't had a huge amount of Techno in this thread, so I'll end up with Singaporean trio The Usual Suspects. This is 'Shy (How Do I Say It?)'. Well, the Wikipedia page for Maia Lee describes them as a trio, but I see pictures with four of them.

Tomorrow we're in Slovakia. Then we have our mid-S rest/catch-up day.

Jamsterdammer, Laibach and john hp like this.
  19. HitAndRun

Given that we won't have @Jamsterdammer today, I thought I'd look for some Jazz. This article lists some Jazz artists from Singapore, but having gone through them, they are mostly quite ... normal. I was looking for something more far out.

Felix Phang is a Jazz composer and this is ... Jazz. 'Tree House'. It does get more interesting later on and I enjoyed listening to it. But I'm not sure I would call it innovative. It's 10:28 long.

I enjoyed this track, 'Seamonster' by The Steve McQueens. But, as a sort of interesting jazzy pop, rather than outright Jazz. I do like the singer's voice and what she does with it.

20. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Thanks for the usual well chosen initial selection (I've not sampled the additional jazz posting yet), 'Shanty' definitely has more of a Shadows influence than the Ventures; and the Usual Suspects track sounds more pop than what I thought techno was, although this is not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

I'll start with the GIMA Band "a Singaporean Fusion Folk Music Band, being the first Mongolian Morin Khuur and Guitar fusion band in South East Asia". This is their 'Singapore Medley' of three songs, celebrating the country's Racial Harmony Day (July 21st) last year, together with their friends Syafiqah 'Adha Sallehin, and Nawaz Mohammad Mirajkar (born in India)

GIMA BAND •吉马乐团
    Nawaz Mirajkar - Biography
    https://www.syafiqah-adha.com/
    Racial Harmony Day - Wikipedia

Now for some country - in fact this probably more "alt-country" or Americana; the Cheating Sons and 'The Last Queen' from 2011. They released an album in 2015, but the last posting on their facebook page was in 2017 so the group may no longer be existing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3RKEgUQyJk&ab_channel=octopuswedding
    Cheating Sons

But if you want punk, Singapore has it with the excellently named Radigals; (perhaps they are "Riot Grrrl"?) - this is a live performance of 'No Regrets' from 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqelz943UYs&ab_channel=NasriSamat
    Hardcore Band Radigals Release Fullset Live Video From EP Release Show [Singapore] - Unite Asia

Masia One (aka May Siam Lin) was born in Singapore; moved to Canada at the age of eight, but returned to the country of her birth in 2015 - this is 'Fyah (feat. Suns of Dub) from last year
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDaFGKdCw3k&ab_channel=MasiaOneVEVO
    Masia One: The Rising Singaporean Hip Hop and Dancehall Artist To Watch | L'Officiel Singapore

Back to 1965 for Shirley Nair with the Silver Strings - 'You're the Boy' - she wrote her own songs but only appears to have released a few singles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qinn67X07tQ&ab_channel=SINGAPORE60'sPOPMUSIC
    Shirley Nair with the Silver Strings | Garage Hangover

'Don't Laugh (You'll Cry') by the Trailers - they apparently began as an instrumental group but had moved on to a garage band sound on this 1966 single - in fact this what used to be called "punk rock" prior to 1976
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHQL7m9PG7A&ab_channel=FuzzVag
    The Trailers | Infopedia

Now forward a few years for 'Rest Assured like Calm Water' by Wong Li and the Saints from 1970
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0ooKU3DITs&ab_channel=choonheng57
    "This is a poignant but positive song, and despite our sadness or even broken-hearted memories of past relationships, we can try to reflect on them in as tranquil a way as possible – try to be like calm water. It comes from her first full album, an LP – on Eagle Records of Singapore - TKLP 111. Wong Li was popular in Singapore and Malaysia in the 1970s, particularly for her rendition of this song. She was the highest earning singer in the annual Hungry Ghost Festival celebrations during the 1960s and 1970s. The Saints (神圣乐队) usually accompanied her. Indeed she was almost considered a member of the band! Her Mandarin name is Huang Li ( means Oriole as in the bird) but she was nearly always called Wong or Wang Li. Wong Li recorded 9 LPs between 1970 and the mid 1970s – plus 5 EPS – the first two being in 1968 on Eagle Records – TK 1051 and TK 1060. She recorded one of the most famous songs about Singapore called " I Love Singapore (Wǒ ài xīn jiā pō)"
    Wong Li

Far too much from me already today, but I can't finish without returning to the Quests and their 1970 version of 'The Sound of Silence' - now my favourite version of this song
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4K8PL2Rbk&ab_channel=TheQuests-Topic
    The YT posting strangely adds "Parental warning - Explicit lyrics"

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  21. HitAndRun

Thanks @john hp . I'm going to go through your post in two halves :)

From the first four songs there's already tons of variation. I probably liked Masia One's song the best, but it was close all round. I wonder where the video was filmed. If I had to guess just from the video, I might say Nepal.

Earlier today I did have a quick look for Singaporean punk, and found this page. But, the bands I sampled were all too normal and often not really punk. (I didn't sample anything like all of the bands mentioned, so there may be others that don't match that description. The Radigals not only have an excellent name, they are the real deal. So, here's one of their studio tracks 'Equality'.

Now going through the second half. Shirley Nair - a classic 60s song that could easily have been a worldwide hit. I also heard a very nice acoustic cover of 'You're the Boy' by Singaporean singer Rene, though she only seems to have a debut single on YouTube among covers, though there's more on Spotify. So, I'll post her debut from 2018. 'Lonely'.

Sometimes I like to check out what happened to band members, and I often then post music from solo careers or later bands. However, for The Trailers, Victor Woo left in 1970 for a career in computers, and Eric Tan was the Director of the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau between 2010-2013.

I also found this BBC News interview with 81 year old (at time of filming) Mary Ho, 'Singapore's Hard Rock Granny'.

PS: I decided not to post one of the Radigals' songs as there were too many f-bombs. So, there are some explicit lyrics even if not in an instrumental (and nice) cover of Scarborough Fair.

EDIT: And, I almost forgot that we're in Southeast Asia, which means that the Weird Psychedelic Soundwaves from Southeast Asia in the 60s and 70s website comes back into play. Here, from the compilation album 'Singapore a Go Go', is Chew Yan And The Stylers with 'Mimi Cat', including cat sounds.

22. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Thanks for the second selection; the Radigals prove that they know how long a punk song should last (1:08); but Hard Rock Granny stole the show of course - an inspiration to us all. I also enjoyed 'Mimi Cat' by Chew Yan & the Stylers - 'Tall Mountain Green' from 1970 appears to be the only other available song by them on YT -

Here's the Swallows from their 1967 EP "A-Solo Ka" and a song which they claimed as written by two members of the group, although it may sound slightly familiar in places -'La Ngomber'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRPosbdqBZs&ab_channel=cinammonimf
    The Swallows (2) - A-Solo Ka

Here's the answer -
    Far East Empress MASIA ONE unveils dub inspired pop ballad ‘FYAH’ | The Partae

23. HitAndRun

Thanks @John Hp. I didn't spot that as the Philippines at all, and I was thousands of miles off :D

Looking at the 60s side of things, there's utterly plenty. I found an album 'Pebbles Vol. 13, Singapore Pt. 1, Originals Artifacts from the Psychedelic Era'.

The album has The Quests, The Swallows, and many other bands. You mentioned that The Swallows' song sounded a bit familiar, and it was a bit Kinks-y. I'm going to post another 60s style song, 'Senyum Selalu' by The Nite Walkers. It's a b-side. Written by Mohammad Salleh, not Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart.

I was a bit disappointed that the music on that album didn't sound that psychedelic. However Ronnie Ong's cover of 'Buttons and Bows' sounds more psychedelic to my untrained ears. Certainly an order of magnitude more psychedelic than Dinah Shore's version. The compilation album the YT video shows appears to be another compilation of 60s Singapore songs.

YouTube auto-played Indonesia's Dara Puspita after Buttons and Bows. A blast from the past both in terms of this thread and the decades.

EDIT: More, and more! Though, the same artists are turning up.

24. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I don't think Singapore ever got very psychedelic, but here's the October Cherries (formerly the Surfers) and 'Far Away Now' from their 1969 LP "Meet the Cherries" - the song was also apparently a no. 1 single in Malaysia, but copies were pirated so they didn't receive any royalties. Also Andrew Loyd Weber allegedly based 'Don't cry for me Argentina' on their song....

It's no more than very mildly psychedelic, a little in the style of the 1967-69 Bee Gees

You have to watch it on YT -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgxZzfJtNjE&ab_channel=keithyoong
    October Cherries - Meet The October Cherries
    Interview with The October Cherries (Oct 2005)

25. HitAndRun

Thanks John. I'm still not quite sure what is psychedelic or not despite all your examples. Sorry for being a slow learner in this respect.

I found this instrumental track which I find very interesting. It's described as 'Singapore Psych Funk Freakbeat'. It sounds a bit like a funky early Pink Floyd. Charlie & the Boys with 'A Night in Carbol Hill ' from the album 'Dance With Soul'. I might have the song title and the album title backwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.