A mystery artist: Xxenogenesis, SeXxenogenesis #1 (1973)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott Michaelsen, May 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Michaelsen

Scott Michaelsen Forum Resident Thread Starter

As part of research for a book project, I’m seeking information about Xxenogenesis (pronounced “x-zeno”), the psychonaut, author, and artist born in January 1926. Xenogenesis crafted the wildest private press, spoken word album of all time, SeXxenogenesis #1 (1973), self-published two books on immortality (including Immortality Unveiled [1985]), and maintained several elaborate websites at the dawn of the internet. Concerning the album, Richard Doyle recently has written that it’s “a terma gem reflecting itself through you”:

I would like to hear from anyone who knew or corresponded with Xxenogenesis, including anyone who knows his identity. I have a few clues: He is a Polish immigrant. His middle name is Joseph, and his sister’s name is Florence. In his voluminous writings he sometimes calls himself “Jason” and his wife “Ujena.” He has two sons. He was originally Roman Catholic and an altar boy, and served in the US Air Force in World War II on a B-17 bomber. He ran a lumber mill business, but retired in 1967 to pursue his metaphysical researches. He more than once highlights his connection to theosophical texts and centers, and sometimes writes about his time at the “Solar Center.” At the time of the release of his record album he lived at Arlen House, 300 Bayview Drive A-10, North Miami Beach, FL 33160, and ran a small mail order operation from that address. Again, I’d love to hear from a family member, friend or correspondent in any of his periods of creativity.

2. Scott Michaelsen

Xxenogenesis released this album in 1973, and my assumption is that he recorded it in either early 1973 or 1972. The dead wax inscription is minimal: 10782 A on the one side, and 10782 B on the other. I know that this record was recorded in the Miami, Florida area, and I've been talking to some knowledgeable persons as to whether this could have been recorded at Criteria Recording Studios in Miami. So far no one seems sure. Does anyone know how to read the dead wax? Is there a clue there? And does anyone have another suggestion for where this private press classic might have been recorded?

3. Scott Michaelsen

The contracts for a Xxenogenesis book are signed, and my co-author and I are releasing new information about him in order to crowdsource this deepening mystery. It turns out that the album was a response to Xxenogenesis' ten-day "cosmic crucifixion" in 1971, during which time he believed he was reborn as the world's first atomic Christ. There are new clues in the linked press release, including some interesting images of a Xxenogenesis book, his damaged B-17 bomber, and his "signature." Surely someone remembers him from his years running a lumber mill, his time at the "Solar Center," or his attempt to go back to school at the age of 63. Forensic evidence leads us to conclude that he sought professional assistance in the recording of the album, and someone from Criteria (or elsewhere) will also likely recall this unique man and his love of reverb:

Metanoia Press announces a book about Xxenogenesis and his hypnotic cult album, SeXxenogenesis #1 (1973)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.