A Netflix Presentation: The Trial of the Chicago 7 - 25 September 2020 (USA)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dance_hall_keeper, Jul 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident Thread Starter

This is a perfect example of how my mind works and, with the benefit of The Interwebs™, leads to discovery.

A long, long time ago I read a pocket book release regarding "The Trial of the Chicago 7". To me it dealt with one of two of the most fascinating legal trial topics I've ever dealt with, the other being the Manson trial.

Fast forward to yesterday when I Googled the words, "Black Panthers". This led to this being one of the search possibilities.

Three things immediately caught my attention:
    1) The fact it's a Netflix presentation
    2) The date of release: 25 September 2020
    3) The Cast, with one name in particular standing out.

Full disclosure: I'm one of only a handful of individuals who:
    A) Doesn't own a cellphone and
    B) Doesn't watch Netflix.

I present this thread because I know that this topic will interest more than just a few Members. I hope it has piqued your curiosity as it did mine.

jamesmaya likes this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I don't recall the name of it, but there was a Chicago 8 film (made for HBO?) in the late '80s or early '90s.

3. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I remember seeing a dramatization of the trial on PBS once upon a time.

Pussycat, carrick doone and Macman like this.
  4. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I am a big Aaron Sorkin fan, so that alone has me interested. Thank for posting!

trumpet sounds and dlokazip like this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Interesting. Will want to show this to the wife, she wasn't reading the papers ack then.

Thanks!!

6. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I remember that too. It was very good. Strangely enough, it was made by the BBC and aired in 1975.

7. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

There’s also this double lp on Capitol Records released in 1979, a theatrical arrangement of the trial based on the courtroom transcripts.

[​IMG]

8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Judy Collins, Arlo Guthrie, Country Joe McDonald, and Country Joe McDonald were prepared to sing their songs in the courtroom for the defense...

Another Folk Singer Silenced By Judge at Conspiracy Trial

BY J. Anthony Lukas Special to The New York Times
    January 23, 1970

CHICAGO, Jan. 22 — Songs and movements have no place in the Chicago conspiracy trial, Judge Julius J. Hoffman ruled today.

Judge Hoffman refused to let Judy Collins, the folk singer, sing “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?”, a song popular in the antiwar movement.

Then, a few minutes later, he refused to let Paul Potter, a former president of the Stu dents for a Democratic Society, describe what “the Movement” is.

Both rulings brought vigor ous protests from defense at torneys. For weeks, the de fense has contended that the 74‐year‐old judge is interpret ing the rules of evidence more strictly for them than he did when the Government was presenting its case.

The song issue has been a recurring one in recent weeks as the defense has brought to the witness stand a number of singers active in antiwar and radical causes.

Other Singers Deterred

The judge refused to let Phil Ochs sing “I Ain't Marchin Any More.” He would not let Arlo Guthrie sing “Alice's Restau rant” and he stopped Country Joe McDonald from singing “Vietnam Rag.”

So there was not much doubt in anybody's mind as to what would happen when Miss Col lins took the stand this after noon.

William M. Kunstler, a de fense attorney, asked Miss Col lins about her role in the forma tion of the Youth International party movement in New York in the spring of 1968.

Two of the leading Yippies —Jerry Rubin and Abbie Hoff man are among the seven de fendants in this trial charged with conspiracy to incite a riot during the Democratic National Convention.

Miss Collins described her participation in a news confer ence at the Americana Hotel in March, 1968, at which the Yip pies announced plans for a so called Festival of Life during the Democratic convention.

When Mr. Kunstler asked her what she had done at the news conference, Miss Collins paused for a moment, brushed her long auburn hair over her shoulders and began to sing in a lilting soprano:

“Where have all the flowers gone . . .”

She got just that far and no further. “No. No,” Judge Hoff man said. “No singing.”

Mr. Kunstler rushed to the lectern, contending that it was just as appropriate for Miss Collins to sing as it was for the Government to show movies of what happened in the streets during the convention.

Thomas A. Foran, the United States Attorney, joined him at the lectern, saving, “In my family, my six kids and I all agree that Miss Collins is a fine singer.” But he dismissed the defense's song gambit as “an old and stale joke.”

Judge Hoffman agreed, not ing, “We are not here to be entertained.”

Mr. Kunstler argued that the song was not entertainment but a protest against young men's deaths in war and was directly relevant to the protests during the convention.

But Judge Hoffman was not moved. “I will not permit sing ing in this courtroom,” he said.

Eventually, Miss Collins was, permitted to recite the words of the song.

The next witness was Mr. Potter, an early leader of S.D.S., who directed the so‐called “Movement Centers” here dur ing the convention.

Mr. Potter testified that he was a writer and was working on a book about his role in “the Movement.”

But when he was asked to explain what “the Movement” is, the Government objected and Judge Hoffman upheld the objection.

“I don't think movements have any place in this case,” the judge declared.

The Movement is a term generally used to describe the amalgam of antiwar, radical, civil rights and women's‐libera tion struggles.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
  9. RayS

The one I was thinking of was from 1987:

[​IMG]

CraigBic and dlokazip like this.
  10. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Just saw the trailer for this during the Dallas/LA game. This, and the Nurse Ratched origin series, may get me to subscribe to Netflix.

I've been waiting for this one for over a decade. I'd about given up on it.

I recorded this onto VHS tape back when it was on HBO. I recently transferred it to my computer. I didn't know it had made it to DVD. I would have bought it.

Really love this one. Robert Loggia, Peter Boyle, and Michael Lembeck are really great in it.

CraigBic and RayS like this.
  11. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I just hope it, and the upcoming Fred Hampton picture, don't completely blow

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm going to check this out...

13. RayS

A lengthy trailer/commercial for the movie aired last night during the Rams-Cowboys game.

Looks like a limited theater run (I'm guessing VERY limited) and then a premiere on Netflix on October 16th.

Here it is:

14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

This airs over here on Netflix tomorrow, 16 October. I’ve seen some good reviews. The kind of big movie you would have previously have had to go to the movies to see - Aaron Sorkin directed, Eddie Redmayne and Sacha Baron Cohen in the cast. Looking forward to it.

15. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I've been waiting for this one. Sascha seems a bit old to play Abbie Hoffman but he's a solid actor so I'm sure it will be fine at the least. I love Sorkin.

Anyone remember Steal This Movie with Vincent D'onofrio as Hoffman? It's probably been fifteen years since I've seen it but I recall really enjoying that performance

16. RayS

I could hear his British accent sneaking through in the trailer. I hope that is not a great distraction.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I see the Chicago Police cars and uniforms are accurate. I was born in Chicago, and still living there when the Democratic National Convention took place.
    Also found it interesting when I recently read that when Belushi saw the riots on live television, he ran all the way downtown to be a part of it.

dlokazip likes this.
  18. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I can't stand the music in the opening scene at all

19. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I have a fringe jacket just like Abbie Hoffman's

20. cass

cass Forum Resident

Not using Graham Nash's song Chicago was a missed opportunity, it would have fit nicely over the end credits.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Must see for me. Memories of my old man hurling racist and hippie slurs at the TV, demanding that the lot of them be taken out and shot.
    Tough to see that happen to them, but I thought that they would eventually be free.
    Bottom line was always that long haired kids were dangerous idiots whose brains were retarded by drugs.

22. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

B+ for me. SBC was dope. There were some dorky inaccuracies though

23. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I think Sasha gave the best performance.

Hall Cat likes this.
  24. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident Thread Starter

25. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

We enjoyed it a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.