A nifty turntable that I've been playing with, the Thorens TD-160 "Super" repro from Vinyl Nirvana..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

Thanks for the excellent and timely post, Steve. I was considering an upgrade to a Rega RP6 or VPI Scout, based on recommendations seen here, but this opens up a completely new path to consider. How would a restored Thorens compare to these? Any comments comparing the Rega and VPI are welcome.

Thanks!

ddarch likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Never compared tables like that, sorry. I have a VPI Classic 2 here, an Audio Note TT-2 Deluxe, a Denon DP-3500F with a Grace "Gyro Master" G-747 tonearm, Thorens TD-124, "KAB/Technics SL1200 for 78's, Music Hall MMF-7 and a Thorens NOS machine that I found for a few hundred bucks on eBay (pics below).

Never compared them to each other. Different price points, etc. DSC_2896.JPG DSC_2898.JPG

SandAndGlass, PGB, shutdown66 and 2 others like this.
  3. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

4. Jerod

Jerod Forum Resident

ddarch and ElvisCaprice like this.
  5. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

So,what would the best phono cables be for a vintage Thorens?

6. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

Depends on the arm. On a stock table, I prefer to leave the original cables/wiring and just change the ancient rca plugs. As stated earlier, for our RB-202s, we use a cardas product, one piece, from lead to rca. With separate ground. We use the same for SME.

michanes likes this.
  7. rob303

rob303 Forum Resident

I agree. My experience is limited, but when I upgraded to the 2M Black from the Grado Gold (a perfectly good cart for the $$$), it was the most day-and-night change I've ever made in my system. Such detail!

Man, I love the retro look of the Thorens and your rave review has me thinking: Should my VPI Traveler hit the market to make room for the Thorens?

Umberto Callegarin and ddarch like this.
  8. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident

My first serious table was a TD 160 with stock arm bought from a college friend in '77. IIRC, my pal bought it new in '74. I really loved that table and regret selling it.I kept it until '86, then traded it in for a new TD 320 which I owned until 2000. The 160 was the better machine.

PGB and ddarch like this.
  9. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I have Thorens TD 160 Super with a Grace 747 Tone Arm that I bought 6 months after trading in a Dual. I'm very happy with it, though I get some noise when switching from 33 to 45. I had it looked it at but they could find nothing wrong. It's mostly an annoyance since there is no issue with speed.

10. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

"I'm very happy with it, though I get some noise when switching from 33 to 45. I had it looked it at but they could find nothing wrong. It's mostly an annoyance since there is no issue with speed."

You can turn the large outer platter upside down to watch the belt's travel path. If you use a record weight or clamp, put that on top of the inverted platter, along with an average sized lp. Go ahead and switch speeds and you will be able to detect what is happening.

Once you see the issue, if you can't figure out an easy way to fix it, send me a PM. It took years, but I have gotten to the point where I am 100% successful with belt/platter noise issues. It seems simple, but sometimes it's something not so obvious.

Dave

Gasman1003 likes this.
  11. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Exactly.

12. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Thanks. Sending you a message now.

13. ChrisScooter1

ChrisScooter1 Forum Resident

Steve, I am thinking about sending my TD125 mkII to Dave to have restored/upgraded. I'm a but of a newbie to cartridges. Would you mind giving me your thoughts and reading for choosing the Ortofon 2m cart?

14. nothing beats a 124 mk2 restaured by schopper

15. My main table for the past 7 years had been a Thorens TD-160 Super that I got off Craigslist from the original owner. I love it & may never upgrade.

16. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I can tell you that refurbishing my old Dual 502 was not complete until I installed a new Rega/Moth 202 with the 3 point base on it. That dual arm was holding back the whole presentation. Not easy with the metal plinth to drill, but well worth the effort.

17. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

Wow, amazing stuff, good prices (out of my reach, but still...) :drool:

ddarch likes this.
  18. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I've had my TD 160 for 35 years and never thought of turning the platter upside down:oops::oops:

Thanks for the tip.

Wish I lived closer to you, would love a real black wood plinth for her.

[​IMG]

19. EasterEverywhere

Back to the OP,I have a gorgeous Zebrawood plinth for my TD-135.What is Zebrawood anyway?

20. EasterEverywhere

I spent $500 to get my $3.00 garage sale TD-135 restored,and $100 to get my Garrard restored.It was $9.99 at an indoor flea market.

ddarch likes this.
  21. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I love the TD 160 Super tables.

I purchased one about 10 years ago, did some further modding with the sub platter and damping of plinth, added a rewired RB300 arm.........and it was excellent.
    I then sold it on at a small profit on what I paid for it. They seem to be heaps more expensive these days.

ddarch likes this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

As well as his outstanding way with Thorens classic turntables, Dave's first love is AR turntables (and he is equally adept with their restoration). I love his work and his support for both marques. And am an admirer.

ddarch likes this.
  23. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

I've had one of Dave's tables for some time now and agree that it is fantastic. He does great work! A pretty incredible choice for the money!

ddarch likes this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And also, I am running an AR XB in my living room presently. I like it. And the Pioneer becomes deep backup.

razorball and ddarch like this.
  25. Pomodori

Pomodori Well-Known Member

Yet another endorsement for Dave! TD-160 Super with Jelco/DL-103 and A23 SUT. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Reesdog, Ontheone, nectar and 13 others like this.