A nifty turntable that I've been playing with, the Thorens TD-160 "Super" repro from Vinyl Nirvana..

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

My TD-160 super reproduction arrives tomorrow!

2. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

IMO the best Thorens turntable is the TD 321 far superior to the original TD 160 , I had a 160 ,the also very good value 321 is wonderful, makes very expensive turntables a total waste of money.

Danilo and Sneaky Pete like this.
  3. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Interesting. ...is a td 321
    How is the 321 different than the 160?

4. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

UPS dropped it off yesterday and it really is beautiful. As others have said, Dave does an immaculate job packing it. He also sent me the links to his Youtube videos on setup. I was only able to play with it a little bit last night but it already blows my Debut carbon with a Blue away. Thanks, Dave!

Manimal, misterclean, mpayan and 2 others like this.
  5. High Fidelity

TD 321 has a excellent leaf suspension that requires no adjustment , heavier weight plinth and sounds as good as it gets. The TD 160 has inferior spring suspension sounds OK but no where near as good as the better build 321.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sure aint as sexy as the 160 though...

Reesdog, SandAndGlass and ceynon like this.
  7. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Pics would be great. Congratulations!

8. High Fidelity

This is about high end sound ,not sex . 321 looks great not a souped up cheap0 160 almost like comparing a Rolls with a Ford

9. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel

Are they less common? Are they as upgrade friendly?

10. High Fidelity

Yes they are less,common, absolutely no need for any upgrade, as I have previously posted, paying any more for a turntable is just a waste of money.

11. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

To me the td160 is slightly more natural and musical sounding than the td321, but the td321 is better fidelity wise...both awesome turntables.

12. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

I'd be interested in hearing Dave's take as he works with these way more than any of us ever will.

13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Alright. Still think its sexy though.

14. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

Never heard a 321. HF prefers the leaf system of isolation, of which I have always heard the 321 is a good example. I prefer a traditional coiled spring system, which is why I have settled upon the Thorens and AR models I sell/restore.

SandAndGlass, Manimal, MikeK and 2 others like this.
  15. High Fidelity

If you heard a 321 I doubt if you would still be interested in a coiled spring TD 160

16. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

You are entitled to your opinion, and you have made it perfectly clear in this thread.

17. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Bold statement, perhaps you could fill out your profile so we can all learn more about your system and how you came to your conclusions.

baconbadge, Don Parkhurst and Manimal like this.
  18. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

For those that have purchased one of these units I have a question. Would you confidently describe these tables as "the last table you ever need to buy"? I ask because I'm considering buying one of these gorgeous tables. Out the door I'm probably looking at close to 2k with the cart, which is a stretch for my budget. But these are a work of art and by all accounts sound terrific. Just curious on the thoughts. Do they require much maintenance in say 5 to 10 years?

I appreciate any comments.

19. Hogues

Hogues Forum Resident

Not for me, but that's because I have upgrade-itis. Don't get me wrong, I love this table so far and I think that it sounds great and it will be in one of my two TT locations for a VERY long time. I just eventually want to try a VPI or SOTA in the future. I would say that I think that it's defiantly worth the money. Do I "need" to buy another TT after this? No. I just know that I will want to.

20. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Yes. Pretty much. I have two systems so I may or may not replace the TT on the second system but the VN TD150 stays. I have no reason to change it to something else.

Manimal, Hogues and ddarch like this.
  21. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

If it proves as low maintenance as my old TD150 it is the last table I'll ever buy. There will be no regrets. The only change I could conceive of making would be a cartridge change but the bronze is very pleasant and does not leave me wanting to change.

ddarch likes this.
  22. thanks for the write up. I would like to upgrade my TT at some point and this seems like a great option. the zebra wood looks spectacular. while trying not to sound like a total sycophant, I cant wait to play my DCC Doors S/T record on an improved TT.

ddarch likes this.
  23. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

This thread and the high recommendations from the forum for Dave's product and service at vinyl nirvana lead me to place an order with him for a Thorens TD160 super. I've never had a table of this quality and look forward to hearing vinyl at a higher quality than I ever have previously. Unless my current TT, the Debut Carbon with the sibilance problem, happens to sound better than this classic :)

Pythonman, djost, Hogues and 3 others like this.
  24. High Fidelity

I was in the Hi-Fi Industry for many years both as a manufacturer & retailer , Hi-Fi is my life long hobby so I have been very fortunate,have lot of experience in being able to compare live v recorded sound.

25. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

We got a gorgeous piece of Bloodwood picked out this morning, can't wait to see what my woodworker does with it!

Bananas&blow, djost and MikeK like this.