A NOS Thorens TD124

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 62vauxhall, Jun 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure the dealer said there's no difference in the platters just to sell it. Overwhelmingly, people like the iron platter better. I've not seen a single report of someone preferring the alloy platter. Considering the iron platter remained the stock platter, even on the Mk. II, while the alloy was a special order item, tells you all you need to know about which platter was better. I know you've mentioned that the person selling the table is a nice person and knowledgeable, but please take everything a salesman says with a grain of salt. But it seems you've already convinced yourself to buy this table, regardless of all the red flags, but hey, to each their own.

je245 and Slimwhit33 like this.
  2. 62vauxhall

62vauxhall Forum Resident Thread Starter

In hindsight, I should have titled this thread Store Demo TD124 not NOS TD124.

It was seeing this particular one that put a TD124 on my want list. Generally speaking, they don't motivate me enough to start looking for a less expensive example in more expected cosmetic condition commensurate with it's age.

And by looking I mesn seeing one in front of me. Nothing on God'd green earth would make me buy such an item sight unseen as in online.

Bear in mind that I'm in Csnada, the greater Vsncouver area, where a dollar is 30% more than in the US. Fundimentally there are three shops here where a Thorens TD124 might be encountered. Those I've seen, I casually glanced at but were in obviously used condition.

Despite that the one I'm interested in has had hands laid upon it, it shows no inflicted blemish or discolouration of any kind. I am not unfamiliar with bintage turntables and have had lots.

If any of those were as pristine as this Thrones, I'd have no issue believing them barely or little used.

Could be I'm paying too much but at least I can see for myself it is mint cosmetically. There has become a large contingent of rich Asians some of whom just love their vintage audio where condition is everything and price irrelevant.

If it were known this TD124 II was available, I'm fairly certain it would not last long. That shop's owner says he's never seen one in as nice condition and I believe him. And he's in a position to have seen more and paid them more attention than me.

3. gov

gov Forum Resident

Regardless of thread title, it’s what your paying. If you’re paying NOS prices it should be so inclusive of box (which is part of the NOS allure imo). If it’s a store demo then hopefully you are paying used/demo prices

I’m also in the camp that aside from any nostalgia or novelty of a NOS piece, if I were buying to listen I’d rather buy used and get the upgrades widely accepted to bring a great table into incredible status.

Not trying to rain on any parades here and regardless of what you choose I hope you have a lengthy and enjoyable experience worh your new table :thumbsup:

Twinsfan007, Dubmart and Slimwhit33 like this.
  4. 62vauxhall

I hope for a similar experience to that which transpired with the 1999 Corolla I mentioned in post #36.

It belonged to a friend's father who passed away and the car was going to be sold in the near future. I was in need of a car and stated that I would buy it. When the time came, my friend announced the price was $10,000. He has long been involved in the car business and dealt with wholesalers regularly and they told him that despite the car being 6/7 years old, the "like new" condition and low mileage warranted a premium price.

Even though I was expecting to be offered it for closer to $6,000, I paid what he asked because I'd already said I would buy it.

It now has 370,000 km or 230,000 mi. It's been driven by me every day for 13 years with only the expected routine parts replacement. The drive train's not been touched and the original exhaust system has remained intact. In two weeks I'm repeating the 3,000 plus kilometer road trip I took last year, scrounging for used records.

If I'd gone looking in 2006 there would have definitely been many, cheaper 1999 Corollas but in "as found" condition.

I have not had the facility or the tools needed to perform automotive mechanical work myself since the year 2001. If I'd acquired a less pristine example, I felt strongly that the chances were great I'd be paying someone a lot of money for mechanical work that was simply not needed on the one I bought. I've had my share of cheap used cars.

Automotive repairs are expensive and I'm suspecting the same is true for Thorens turntables. And quite frankly I've lost the motivation to work on audio gear. I'm past retirement age and must continue working full time (and then some) for income. I just want to start spending time on less obsessive pursuits.

Life is like toilet paper, the closer the end, the faster it goes.

Regarding my Thorens acquisition scenario, that year's old Fram Filters advertising slogan comes to mind - "You can pay me now or pay me later".

5. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Sorry to go off-topic but I also have a Toyota Corolla which owes me nothing. It’s a 1993 base model which has almost 300,000 miles (482,000 KM). I’ll keep it until it disintegrates! Which appears more likely than a mechanical failure!

googlymoogly, Mugrug12 and 62vauxhall like this.
  6. Don Parkhurst

Don Parkhurst Forum Resident

Are you by chance buying it from Nick at The Turntable Shop in North Vancouver? He is quite a character!

7. 62vauxhall

Yup.

8. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

when you get to 400,000 miles all is well.

Eigenvector likes this.
  9. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

62vauxhall,

If I were in your position, I would buy the table without much hesitation. There are almost no such tables out there that have low mileage on them. The motor is the weak point on the table and it is hard to completely replace, but, you can get one that is not worn down.

As to the aluminum alloy subplatter, the consensus is that the cast iron subplatter sounds better. But, like with anything audio, the best choice is a matter of taste and tuning to match other system components. It might be the case that the alloy subplatter is preferable. Of course you would not know whether that is the case without a comparison, but, I would not worry about the issue if you end up liking the sound of your new set up. If it isn't entirely to your liking, you can look at different tuning options--new platter mat, new subplatter, different footer, etc. If you do someday consider a new subplatter, I think the Schopper model should be considered if you ever end up running moving coil cartridges. I know that most fans of the table do not think that magnetic attraction is a real concern because it can be compensated for in the tracking force adjustment, I personally don't feel entirely comfortable with that claim. I don't know if the measurement condition (the presence of the scale) actually accounts for the operating conditions over the entire side of a record. My local dealer has set up a lot of these tables with very expensive, and delicate, MC cartridges, and has not had any reported problems, so I am probably being over cautious on this issue, but I am still a bit uncomfortable about the "idea" of magnetic attraction.

10. 62vauxhall

Thanks Larry. As you say, I've no reference point but I'm fairly confident it will be to my liking.

As mentioned, it was never a goal of mine to own one of these tables. But if a seed plants in my head, it can grow into an obsession quite quickly. Because of it's condition, I could easily imagine myself regretting not acting on this one. And then begins the quest for another just as nice.

I've often spent many hours and dollars for fuel going here and there looking for things far less consequential than a Thorens TD124 and I'm tired of that pastime. There are other more productive things which I've let slide that I could use the time for.

My hope is that this acquisition will end my "Quest for Fire".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.