A Question About Compressing Files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bzfgt, Nov 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Forum Resident

Thank you. The above is where you contradict what you said not moments earlier when you tell me "That's not right" in response to my saying that a CD is lossy :)

The CD *is* lossy, just as I said, just as you say above.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  2. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

yep, the only truly lossless way to experience sound is to have the sound waves produced by the actual instruments hit your ears. Shoot, even then, your ears themselves result in signal loss, unless you happen to have perfect hearing and clean the wax out of your ear canals before every listening session . . . .
    if by 'original signal' you mean the 'original recording' rather than 'original performance', then sure.
    But the entire equipment chain used to record the signal will introduce changes and discard some data from the waveforms actually produced in the studio by the instruments being played.
    The original recording != the original performance, in other words. No matter what tech is used to store/process/manipulate the waveforms from there on out, it's always going to be a bit different than it was being in the room while the piece was being played . . .

Shaddam IV likes this.
  3. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

The specific part of the process that you claimed to cause loss in fidelity, the sampling, is not lossy.

4. Shaddam IV

It absolutely is. It's right there in the word "sampling". A "sampling" is a "sample" of the continuous waveform. It's not the entire thing. It's a sample (subset) of the information available.

5. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

a character set with that many characters would be highly impractical. It woudl take too many bits to represent that characters themselves, and it wouldn't be any smaller.

Grant likes this.
  6. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

i hope this thread doesn't get into sampling theory...

rbbert and Shaddam IV like this.
  7. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

If that is your definition of "lossy", then SACDs, DVD-Audios, LPs and even original master tapes are "lossy" as well. Every sound recording is "lossy".

Shaddam IV and tmtomh like this.
  8. Shaddam IV

Yes, which was exactly my point, so I'm glad you brought it up because I meant to!

The CD Standard was merely an arbitrary standard put in place for CDs. Clearly, SACDs are of a higher standard than CDs (which tells you right there that the CD Standard is not "lossless").

If the SACD standard had been the standard originally put in place for digital audio, I guess us audiophiles would be sticklers for maintaining that standard, instead of sticklers for maintaining the (inferior) CD Standard as the "lossless" benchmark for sound.

I'm trying to help myself out of a box that says the CD Standard is "IT", because it isn't. Is it SACD? Is it 320kbs MP3? Is it something else on the continuum that is the end all be all?

9. Veni Vidi Vici

No, it’s a representation of the waveform that is more compact than the original, and from which the original can be reconstructed. It’s similar to the way that a graph of a function can be represented by an equation, and reproduced exactly from it. The parts of the signal you imagine have been discarded have not been - they can be recreated exactly just from the samples.

Shaddam IV and tmtomh like this.
  10. Shaddam IV

You're thinking of a lossless codec such as FLAC?

11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Respectfully, it is you who is wrong. You are confusing different connotations of the term "lossy."

rbbert, Grant and Synthfreek like this.
  12. Veni Vidi Vici

It isn’t a subset of the information. A point on a curve is not a “subset” of a curve.

13. Shaddam IV

Actually, what I was doing is pointing out that there *are* different connotations of the term "lossy".

tmtomh likes this.
  14. Veni Vidi Vici

Sure, but you specifically mentioned that digital sampling is inherently lossy, but that is an incorrect statement, provided you sample at least twice as frequently as the signal’s highest frequency component. These theories and devices do not emerge from imprecise terminology and enthusiastic handwaving.

Shaddam IV likes this.
  15. Shaddam IV

A curve *is* a set of points. One point is a subset of a *set* (a number) of points.

16. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying. But digital sampling still is not lossy. As has been noted by others above, digital sampling can reconstruct the original waveform, not just a subset of the original waveform. Digital sampling produces quantization error, but that manifests as noise. And if it's below the noise floor of the original analogue recording, then nothing is lost. Even when it it not below the noise floor of the analogue original - such as with DSD encoding, which is only 1-bit - noise shaping can (within limits) nevertheless enable the original waveform to be reconstructed.

Again, sorry, but this is misleading. You're treating an analogue waveform as if it's already a set of digitized/quantized points, and then on that basis claiming that digital sampling is lossy because it captures only some of those points.

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  17. Veni Vidi Vici

You are right, of course. What I should have explained is that the samples are used to reconstruct the points in-between, so the fact that there are fewer sample points than unsampled points is immaterial.

Shaddam IV, Chris DeVoe and tmtomh like this.
  18. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

Turns out I wasn’t 100% correct either. :o

subtr likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Look, everything is ultimately lossy at some point, even analog. The grain of film; the pigment particles of a print; the ground-up bits of iron oxide on a magnetic tape; the molecules of vinyl in an LP.

Shaddam IV and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  20. Cherrycherry

Cherrycherry Forum Resident

:disgust:molecules are lossless

Grant likes this.
  21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Even my cheap-ol' smartphone can easily handle FLAC encoded at 8.

Shaddam IV and subtr like this.
  22. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Perhaps Quantum computers and qubits hold the answer.

Shaddam IV likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.