A rash of 0 feedback accounts making offers on eBay

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by kwadguy, Nov 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

I've had the following happen four times in the past week:

A zero-feedback user who just joined makes an offer somewhat under asking for an expensive item.

Now, sure, everyone was once a zero feedback user. But I rarely get these offers, and now I've gotten four of them. And the usernames are very similar (somestring)_(somenumber). It's all quite suspicious.

The weird thing is: If it's truly a scam, why not pay the asking price? Why make an offer?

One more thing: Before I noticed the weirdness, I made a counteroffer on one item. (Listing price $270, offer $199, my counteroffer $220). The buyer then counteroffered $190. I rejected it, of course. But it all seems kind of weird.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  2. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Too easy for sellers to get screwed on eBay, so you’re right to be cautious. Anytime a very new or low feedback wins an auction of mine (or even buys something outright on discogs), it’s a little nerve wracking. That being said, I’ve not been screwed by a buyer, but I’m not a high volume seller by any means.

Also not sure why they wouldn’t just pay asking if it were a scam.

Shoes1916 likes this.
  3. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Sometimes they'll buy stuff....try to sell it then get a reason for a refund when they can't.

4. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I knew it wasn't just me!

The buyer (something idiotic like imajerk_69) will offer as noted, but in my case, they want me to text them.

I immediately block them, their account is then suspended, and imajerk_70 shows up doing the same thing.

A bot I'm thinking...

5. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

I just got an offer today from one of these bot accounts; I think it's already been suspended.

No text request this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.