A Sarah Vaughan discussion thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJ WILBUR, Nov 16, 2008.

1. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid Thread Starter

I know its on the Gershwin Songbook release volume 1 which is nicely mastered as well...its here used for about a buck right now if you dont mind damaged booklet....

http://www.amazon.com/Sarah-Vaughan...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1231435527&sr=1-2

2. Ridin'High

Ridin'High Forum Resident

Oh yes. That's from a 10" LP titled The Divine Sarah Sings. The catalogue number is actually 25213 -- a 2 was missing from the number you had, which might be the reason why you couldn't find any information about the album. The song's recording date is also slightly incorrect; maybe it is instead the date on which this LP was released. (Recording date: between November 12 and December, 1954.)

Here you can see the cover of the 10" LP:

http://microgroove.jp/mercury/MG20094.shtml

With the advent of the 12" LP era, " 'S Wonderful"and the other songs on that ten incher were re-released in an album titled Sarah Vaughan at The Blue Note, catalogue number MG 20094. This one is another of those tricky albums that pose as live dates, but are not.

Here you can see the album's cover of the 12" LP:

http://microgroove.jp/mercury/MG20094.shtml

DJ Wilbur already explained that " 'S Wonderful can be found on a CD titled The Gershwin Songbook, Volume 1. It's a compilation of tracks from diverse albums, not to be confused with her original Mercury album Sarah Vaughan Sings George Gershwin, which was originally released both separately in two volumes and also in one, lavish gatefold 2-LP set. (Probably as EPs, too.)

To further complicate matters, Sarah has another Gershwin date on LP and CD (and cassette), titled Gershwin Live!. But that was a more recent date (1980's), with the Los Angeles Philarmonic, for Columbia CBS.

I hope that I have succeeded in confusing everybody! :winkgrin:

3. Ridin'High

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I've found that record a couple times....trashed!

5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Thank you for the information on that album and its varied reissues. No wonder I was hitting a dead end. I suspected the CD Gershwin was a compilation because I have a 2LP reissue of the original Mercury Sarah Vaughan Sings George Gershwin from 1983 and it doesn't have 'S Wonderful on it.

6. DJ WILBUR

Of course you can also find it on the complete sarah on mercury box sets...there are four volumes, clearly it'd be on one of them. I find those box sets have amazing sound...

7. Ridin'High

Yep, the song is in the first volume, CD #2. I have those too, and the complete Roulette Sarah from Mosaic. I've long hoped for complete sets from the two other labels for which she recorded prolifically (Pablo, Mainstream) but I'm still waiting ...

8. Sarah Vaughan is a class act! Incredible, love her stuff.
    I have several of Vaughans CDsand two of my favorites are Your Mine You and Vaughan and Violins among the many. I love her treatment of the pre-Sinatra standard, "Witch Craft". Also the LP Swinging Easy.

9. DJ WILBUR

well its snowing and i'm snowbound with a cancelled trip into manhattan to go see Amy LaVere down the drain and so I pulled out my Sarah Vaughn "Snowbound" and its a good one...so for all you jazz loving noreasters, this ones for you...

Snowbound (3:05)
    I Hadn't Anyone 'Til You (3:20)
    What's Good About Goodbye (3:00)
    Stella By Starlight (2:40)
    Look To Your Heart (3:35)
    Oh You Crazy Moon (3:42)
    Blah, Blah, Blah (2:39)
    I Remember You (4:47)
    I Fall In Love Too Easily (3:18)
    Glad To Be Unhappy (4:10)
    Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most (3:45)

Attached Files:

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If you have a turntable, the Pablo vinyl is cheap and very fine sounding. Worth owning her Pablo output. I know there's Japanese CD issues of these which are fine.

11. John54

John54 Senior Member

I'm not too familiar with Sarah Vaughan, but I have one compilation CD with "Broken Hearted Melody", which I have always enjoyed.

12. Leee242

Leee242 Forum Resident

I first heard her when a friend played the Godley/Creme album Consequences to me (on reel to reel) in the late 1970's. She's wonderful.

Interesting thread and some good suggestions for me to check out.
    Thanks.

13. DJ WILBUR

what is this Godley/Creme thing you mentioned?

14. Leee242

Leee242 Forum Resident

I was a triple LP released in 1977(or maybe 76). Godley and Creme from 10cc used it to showcase their new "Gizmo" device. The first part is mostly music and there's dialog (a comedy routine really) which ties into the theme: Nature strikes back at man.
    It isn't for most people, but I was really impressed with the potential of the format.
    Sarah's work on the song Lost Weekend is magic.

15. dale 88

Are any of you going to get the new Sarah Vaughan CD?

This is from the source where I first saw the description: The JazzLoft

http://www.jazzloft.com/p-49361-live-in-belgrade-1973.aspx

Live in Belgrade 1973

Artist: Sarah Vaughan
    Label: Gambit
    Price: $14.95
    Year: 2009
    Format: CD

Live in Belgrade, November 11, 1973.

Sarah Vaughan 1924-1990 was, along with Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald, one of the greatest jazz vocalists of all time. This concert in Belgrade took place right after one of her more celebrated live performances on disc, her Tokyo concert from September 24, 1973. Here, the musicians backing Sarah are exactly the same: Carl Schroeder sits at the piano and Jimmy Cobb is at the drums. The latter is featured here many years after leaving the celebrated Miles Davis Quintet with John Coltrane. Both Cobb and Schroeder had been playing with Vaughan for quite a while. This Belgrade show presents Sarah at the peak of her talents singing some of her most remarkable classics, such as her exciting renderings of Thelonious Monk's "Round Midnight" or George Gershwin's "Summertime", songs played and sang thousands of times, but which in contact with Sarah's genius sound fresh and new.
    ARTISTS
    Sarah Vaughan (vocals); Carl Schroeder (piano); John Gianelli (bass); Jimmy Cobb (drums)
    TRACKS
    Blue Monk (Instrumental Intro)
    A Foggy Day
    The Summer Knows
    On A Clear Day
    Round Midnight
    I'll Remember April
    Misty /I Cried For You
    Rainy Days And Mondays
    Scat Blues (Introduction Of The Band)
    Over The Rainbow
    I'll Remember April (Reprise)
    Summertime
    Wave
    Like Someone In Love
    My Funny Valentine

Are you familiar with the label GAMBIT? Do they have any track record? [heh]

16. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I think this is a boot.

17. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'm trying to get all of them myself! Good luck on the last one:edthumbs::cheers:

18. DJ WILBUR

are they hard to find now?

19. Ridin'High

Dale, Gambit is a Public Domain label with offices somewhere in Europe. Possibly Spain, but I'm not sure. Google them and you'll find their entire catalogue, which is comprised of jazz-oriented stuff, both concerts and sessions that are now in the public domain. I have two of their Johnny Hartman releases. Considering that they are Public Domain, not bad.

And I'll be getting this Sarah CD eventually, because I don't have it. So, thanks for mentioning it. It's been released twice before, but only in Europe, by obscure labels, in the early 1990s or so.

20. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

I got it finally!
    Gave it to my wife for Christmas!

21. jv66

jv66 Estimated Dead Prophet

That is a good album, unfortunately it has possibly the worst jazz cover (or even album) of all time.

22. DJ WILBUR

from the NY Times Magazine

here was a short article about one man's search for that song that we hear and it alludes us. I never knew of this Sarah Vaughan album "Feelin' Good" from 1972 and it is for sale at the Itunes store in their better bit rate in case anyone wanted to hear her version of "Just A Little Lovin' as discussed below. I grabbed the album from Itunes and listening now...

Finding That Song
    By MICHAEL KRIKORIAN
    Published: March 16, 2009

Back in 1998, I was driving down Pico Boulevard in Los Angeles when I spotted a man lying on his back smack dab in the middle of the street; one leg was splayed onto the westbound lane of Pico, the other onto the eastbound. I got out of my car, and as I approached I saw he was bleeding from his lower left side. I rushed to him, and before I could say anything, he said to me, “How you doin’?”

“I just got shot.”

By then, other people were there, trying to help. Someone put a towel under his head. Someone called 911. I heard the sirens nearing. I’d seen my share of gunshot wounds, and I knew this wasn’t life-threatening, so I went on my way.

It was nearly noon, and since I was nearby, I decided to go to Langer’s Delicatessen, renowned for its pastrami sandwich. I was about to turn off my car when a song came on the radio that grabbed me. I recognized the lyrics: “Just a little lovin’, early in the morning.” I’d heard the famous Dusty Springfield version of the song, “Just a Little Lovin’,” written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, many times before and liked it. But this was not Dusty’s version. It was smoky and jazzy and extraordinarily uplifting.

So I sat and listened to the whole song, to relish it and find out who was singing. The D.J. came on and said it was Sarah Vaughan. Especially after seeing a man wounded in the street, I felt my spirits raised by the song. I went to Langer’s and had a No. 10, pastrami and Swiss with Russian dressing. Then afterward I called the radio station, but the person I talked to said he didn’t know what album it was on. Maybe a week later, I went to Tower Records on Sunset. It had several Sarah albums, but none of them had that song.

Years passed. I kind of forgot about it. But every now and then I would pass a record store and take a look. Never found it. More years went by. In 2006, I went online and found some Sarah Vaughan sites. Nothing. Amazon had hundreds of her recordings but not the one I was looking for. I posted a message on some online jazz board. I got a few responses from people saying they couldn’t find it, either. Some people made suggestions, but they didn’t pan out. And that was the last I thought about it.

Until a few weeks ago, when I found a small padded package in my mailbox. Inside was a CD with the recording of Sarah Vaughan singing “Just a Little Lovin’.” It was wrapped in a sheet of paper with some typed production info. The song is from the 1972 album “Feelin’ Good” (which, it turns out, became available online a couple of years ago). And there was a handwritten note from a man named Jerry in Amherst, Mass., that said, “Enjoy!”

I was flabbergasted. Immediately, I loaded it into the CD player in my bedroom. I was actually a little nervous. Would it sound as good as I remembered? It had been more than 10 years, and maybe I had built it up to legendary status when it was merely excellent. After all, discovery is usually a greater thrill than confirmation. I pushed play.

Oh, sweet Sarah. From the very opening notes of the piano and her first vocals, the song was just as I remembered it. I played it five times, slowly dancing around my room. I couldn’t wait to thank this guy Jerry, so I got his number from 411. “I’m glad you got it,” he said.

Then, five days after that, I got an e-mail message from someone going by EAllen4787: I hope this e-mail address is still operative for you. This address was taken from a [2006] post. I, too, have been searching for a copy of Sarah Vaughan’s version of “Just a Little Lovin’.” I used to hear it from an album that we played in graduate school at Purdue that was owned by a fellow student in 1974-1976.

I wrote back right away and told him the story — that I’d just gotten the recording in the mail out of the blue — and that I’d send him a copy. He wrote back: Thank you so much. Thank God for this Internet. This is the best find by far I have ever made on the Internet. So I had my girlfriend’s son, Oliver, burn me a CD, and I sent it out to EAllen4787.

It has been a little while now, and I still play the song every day, usually in the morning. I love the piano and Sarah’s voice. But now it’s more than just a song. It makes me think of the gift I got from a complete stranger, this Jerry guy, and how good it made me feel to reach out to someone else and ask for nothing in return. And it makes me think about that guy who was shot who asked me how I was doing. I hope he’s alive and well, and I wish I could send him the song.

(Michael Krikorian has written for The Los Angeles Times and LA Weekly. He last wrote for the magazine about visiting his namesake at the Men’s Central Jail in Los Angeles.)

23. dale 88

I just ordered the SHM CD version of Sarah Vaughan's Crazy and Mixed Up from CDJapan. I have a soft spot for this one. Do any of you like it. It was a Pablo with a Joe Pass, guitar combo.

24. Ridin'High

I like it (the original LP, that is). I think that what this album has going for it is the pretty nice music accompaniment, as you seem to imply. Sarah's voice too, of course, but I like her in only some of the album's songs. ("I Didn't Know What Time It Was": yes. "Love Dance": no.)

I think that all of Sarah's albums on Pablo are pretty good
    overall. Her voice was at her most impressive, and many of the song choices are excellent. I think I might like the Duke Ellington songbooks the best -- not sure, because I haven't played them in many years ...

25. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

I love her Roulette recordings. As been said, her voice was so beautiful she
    could have been a opera singer.