“A Star Is Born” Remake w/ Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper To Lead

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TeacFan, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Has she done anything other than Larry Flynt and a bit part in Sid & Nancy, though?

2. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Courtney Love - IMDb

I watched her guest appearance on "Empire". That was fun but credible.

3. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

She did a wonderful indie movie with Lily Taylor called "Julie Johnson", a bunch of small parts in movies like "Basquiat" and "200 cigarettes". She's got a new one coming out called "The Long Home" with James Franco.

4. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Isn't Lin-Manuel Miranda taking this to Puerto Rico? I thought I read that somewhere.

5. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Stormrider77 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Just back from seeing this, and I adored it. I thought Lady Gaga was fabulous, but was even more blown away by Bradley Cooper. I could literally feel Jack’s pain. Awesome performances all around.

7. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Saw STAR IS BORN and I really liked the music-Lady Gaga's singing is really the best thing about it. But I wished that the story had more momentum. There's no sense of excitement-or even change-over Gaga's character becoming famous(granted for some people it would be more a sense of fear). It's just "Oh, she has a record now". And no rock star would just put a "nobody" on stage and give her a solo spot without even a band rehearsal(she was pretty good considering she'd never sung before such a huge audience until then). OK, apart from my nitpicking, Gaga's conviction just blows everything else away.

willy likes this.
  8. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

9. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

That's what I always suspected. But Parker never said "No, Elvis, you can't make the movie". He voiced his misgivings about the project, afraid that Streisand wanted to take advantage of him, and if one reads the offer as spelled out in the book CARELESS LOVE, it comes off as what Parker calls "a cheap deal". And Elvis was likely very conflicted about it.

10. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Hot-Cha-Cha-Cha-Cha-Cha-Cha-Chaaaaaaaaaaaa!

11. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

As I've posted elsewhere, Parker never forbade Elvis from making STAR IS BORN. See CARELESS LOVE by Peter Guralnick.

12. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Yes. Bradley Cooper pees his pants instead of saying "I neet a chob!"

13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Bit of a spoiler, that. I heard the laughter in the "Grammy" audience before I saw what was being laughed at.

14. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the true motherlode of actors turned musicians is the Disney factory: miley, justin etc...

15. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

So you were in the room?

Read it. Couple of times in fact. ;)

16. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

Yes, and they were long sequences, not the MTV quick cut BS. (uhoh, is that a spoiler?).

17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Traditional Broadway musical are a treat for sophisticated listeners, trying to make me swallow mediocre rap as a substitute for Gershwin, Irvin Berlin, Sondheim, Lerner and Loeb, Gilbert and Sullivan.... yeah, right. Fifteen minutes of that Hamilton crap and it was off the stereo. I think it was Flip Wilson who joked "you know how those dumb-ass dropouts love rhymes..." way back in the 60s. I laugh to myself when my son-in-law tries to enlighten me with the last great lyrics he's heard. I'm sorry anything that rhymes with "AK"...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    showtaper and Scott222C like this.
  18. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'd happily give it another listen without Lin Manuel-Miranda in the lead. He's too... weepy? jejune? I dunno. There's a lot of good music and rhythms and ideas on there but he comes back in and kinda blows the mood every time. I realize he's left the stage show, but the OC recording is the only one out there, so it's him or nothing unless I decide to pony up for a performance.

19. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Courtney was also in the film Trapped with Kevin Bacon.

20. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

There’s a recent article on Lady Gaga in Vogue that discusses how she wanted to be an actress first, and took lessons when she was 12 years old. Auditions were too nerve-wracking for her so decided to go into music.

Incidentally, Jennifer Lopez started out as an actress.

Dan C likes this.
  21. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Just realized I've NEVER Listened to a note of Gaga's music. I hear she's a genius. Would this movie be a good starting point? If not, what record is considered her best? I'm curious.

22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

First one, The Fame, is great. It has songs you may have heard but didn't know it was her, like Poker Face or Paparazzi.

23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

The "pees his pants" scene brought back memories for me. When I was 5 years old in kindergarten, at kindergarten graduation, I peed my pants in front of everyone up on stage. The whole class was on stage performing for the parents by singing songs. Before going on stage, the kindergarten teacher asked if any of us had to go to the bathroom. I was too afraid to speak up (thought I could hold it, I guess.) My mom was really embarrassed and after it was over, she held her program in front of me on the way out to the car. Dad worked night shift and couldn't make it and Mom didn't drive yet. So, my uncle was with us and he drove. I remember him making me take off my suit jacket and sit on it on the way home because he didn't want pee all over his seats.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I hate musicals. Outside of some songs from “Hair”, I find none redeemable. Just horrible fluff and bad music. Not my thing.

Results may vary.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  25. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I like Gaga but her acting is definitely not Oscar worthy, I'm still wondering how she won her Golden Globe for AHS.

I like the ST to the film very much and it could be Grammy bait. The idea of Gaga being EGOT seems a little far fetched still.

audiomixer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.