“A Star Is Born” Remake w/ Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper To Lead

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TeacFan, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I'd give her an Oscar just for that bit where her manager warns her not to
    ditch the dancers and then miss cues

She says not a word, but... Stare of death!!

Also, too. Her exasperation when she just flat out tells her manager to
    go ahead and cancel the tour.
    Breaking the fourth wall for a minute, you can tell Gaga's bringing some of her life experience as a music-biz boss lady to the screen. No scenery-chewing fit. But highly tense and 100% believable.

Throughout the film, even way before the fame, she's got an interesting mix of short fuse/temper/patience, but she avoids movie-cute feisty.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    KeninDC and Dan C like this.
  2. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

If you want an intro to Lady Gaga's talent, start with this appearance on Howard Stern......it showed me she had talent....and that her producers/managers suck

Instant Dharma, mmars982 and TonyCzar like this.
  3. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Glastonbury 2009 remains a favorite moment:

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  4. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Guralnick's account just sounds more plausible than the simplistic "Col. Parker said no" story that became common currency.

5. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Her 2nd album, "Born this Way", got more of a critical drubbing than it deserved, mostly because the lead single was (let's be real) derivative of a famous Madonna single. But other than that, it's an album full of melodic and rhythmic ideas flying against and into each other with ferocity. Sometimes things get a little dumb, but it's usually thrilling. The subsequent tour was cursed with accidents, illness, and finally American cancellations, so she lost some career momentum.

Before that disaster, however, she performed at "i heart radio" festival in Vegas doing a show of mostly brand-new BTW songs on a portable set:

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  6. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

the idea of elvis in Kris's role is fascinating, the duet with Streisand on Evergreen would be transcendent.

Dan C likes this.
  7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The movie isn't a bad starting point. I really, really like the album Joanne, although it is a bit of a departure from the music that made her famous.

Vinyl_Blues and TonyCzar like this.
  8. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Depends on what kind of music your prefer, I've enjoyed her last album 'Joanne' and the star is born soundtrack rather then her dance/EDM albums.

Great vocalist nethertheless.

9. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

You would think that. You're a Madonna fan.

If Gaga secured a best actress Oscar nomination, it would probably result in the head of every Madonna fan exploding in unison. I don't think any of you have got over the Academy subbing Madonna for Evita in 1997.

I can't stand most of Gaga's early material. If I never hear Poker Face, Born This Way and Bad Romance again, it'll be too soon. She should record more stripped back songs like Million Reasons.

Underneath all of the theatrics is a great singer and a proficient piano player, a rarity amongst female artists in the sort of pop/dance music Gaga records. She would blow Madonna off the stage if they were both performing alone without a backing track, backing dancers, props and effects. Gaga's oscar performance makes Madonna's look like an amateur high school musical.

10. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

I'm a Madonna fan but I can admit Madge is a terrible acctress. Im just saying that some people are acting like Gaga is the next Meryl Streep or something, a little far fetched don't you think?

audiomixer likes this.
  11. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Gaga's very very good, and it's a smart script.

And yeah, maybe ASIB will turn out to be her "Desperately Seeking Susan", "Performance", or "Man Who Fell to Earth".

Only time will tell.

12. I thought that this was a great movie. The acting by Bradley Cooper (Jack) was unbelievably good. The scene toward the end of the movie when Jack was with Lady Gaga after her manager told Jack that he almost trashed her career was great. The look on his face foretold how the movie would end. Gaga did a good job acting. The songs, especially the country songs early in the movie, were really well done. I think that gaga's voice has really matured after spending time with Tony. Really good movie with some very sad scenes.

13. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

FWIW, per the closing credits both she and Cooper had vocal coaches (not the same one).

14. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Saw this today. Loved it. I hope this wins her an Oscar.

And I have to say I never liked Andrew Dice Clay until now. We was great as her father. Interesting how one role can change your opinion of an actor.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    TonyCzar likes this.
  15. Django

Django Forum Resident

I can't say I'm that interested in seeing it. I thought miss Gaga looks good with brown hair.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Speaking as one of the SHF's most devoted Madonna fans, a) I gave no craps when Madonna didn't get nominated for "Evita" and b) I'd be ecstatic if Gaga got Oscar love for her"ASIB" acting.

I'm not sure I ever even saw "Evita". Madonna's acting career left me cold...

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I never thought Madonna was all that good in "Susan", and Jagger's work in "Performance" also left me unenthused.

Bowie was very good in "Earth", though given how effed up he was back then, I don't know if he needed to act to play someone detached from the world! :D

18. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Sure. Look I don't disagree, but in essence Parker knew how to push the right buttons to get Elvis to acquiesce. If anything Red's story demonstrates that Elvis wasn't entirely convinced that the decision to abandon the project was the right thing to do. Ultimately turning down A Star is Born with Streisand was a missed opportunity to reframe Elvis' film career and to have a crack at other film opportunities that may have come along in its wake. That is sad.

19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

fascinating. thanks for this

GillyT likes this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Went to see ASIB again today, and gave reading the closing credits another shot; thought I found what I was looking for when I spotted an LCD Soundsystem work in the credits that I had not caught before, but no go. Another fail.

So, does anyone know the song playing in the background when Ally is finishing up her all-night photo shoot
    and her manager shows up to tell her she's a Grammy nominee
    ? It's a lively paced dance track. Pharrell, maybe? I think I saw his name fly by...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  21. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Very well made, acted and filmed. Excellent camera work that conveyed personality and emotion. Music is well, and naturally presented for a film of this nature. I was moved. Always like Cooper and my deep respect for Gaga grows every time i’ve seen her since her first Stern performance and appearance. Some incredible chemistry between the 2, and a very sad story for someone who has seen the lifestyle in real life. Left me really raw.

adm62 likes this.
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Wow. Maybe in the future nobody ever need to ask such a question again, but I'm not sure how accurate this is...

Music from A Star Is Born (2018)

unless there's a remix of the LCD Soundsystem song which I can't find.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Saw this tonight. Wasn't that impressed. Music is very unmemorable. Gaga and Cooper do sing well, though.

audiomixer and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Finally got a screening of the new A Star Is Born, and I'm not wild about it. I thought the editing was kind of jagged and uneven, and it went in weird directions. No question, the performances are stellar and I think the cinematography, sound, and color were all fantastic, as was the acting and musical performances.

But the story felt kind of herky-jerky to me, the documentary approach left me a little flat, and the scene transitions gave me whiplash. With all the hoopla, I thought I was the only one, but this reviewer on Vice.com saw the same problems I did...

'A Star Is Born' Is Bad, Actually

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Not sure what you mean by "documentary approach". Do you mean the musical performance scenes? I know there was a hard-and-fast rule about filming the concert performances: two cameras, NO audience shots. I also saw a panel discussion (including Cooper!) where the film's editor referred to that as a "conceit". (MEOW!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.