“A Star Is Born” Remake w/ Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper To Lead

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by TeacFan, Aug 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

there can be only one
    [​IMG]

CBS 65780 likes this.
  2. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Plus she’s not much of an actress, certainly not the caliber of a Judy Garland or Barbra Streisand.

The_Windmill and pghmusiclover like this.
  3. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I've seen the Gaynor-March, own the restored Garland-Mason and saw the Streisand-Kristofferson because my GF at the time made me go.
    The 3rd one is 70's cliched crap, imo.
    The 1st one is very good but nothing can compare to the Garland-Mason version.
    Judy at the height of her talent and casting Mason was a stroke of brilliance. He is perfection.

TonyCzar, The_Windmill and RonBaker like this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So Paul McCartney isn't a major star?

Gaga doesn't move records like she did in 2010, but she's still a huge star. She played the Super Bowl in 2017 and got rave reviews for it. She put on a hugely successful 2017 tour that sold out arenas all over the place.

You make it sound like she's Taylor Dayne! :laugh:

5. Oatsdad

Yeah, I've only seen the 1954 and 1976 versions.

The Streisand version is simply awful, whereas the Garland one works when it sticks to drama.

Unfortunately, it packs in about a zillion musical numbers, and I think they kill the movie. They're there just to let Garland sing and they don't advance the film.

176 minutes is way too long for that story!

6. Oatsdad

To be fair, I don't think Gaga's done enough acting for us to know either way.

Not saying she'll be good, but I wouldn't use her limited roster of acting appearances to signify anything.

As long as the 2018 "Star" doesn't act as a constant homage to its female lead. Gah, the love lavished on La Babs in the 1976 version is insane!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  7. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Definitely one of the great "what-ifs" in music/film history!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Whenever I watch the Oscars I always hope for just a glimpse of old Hollywood glamour. Lady Gaga's 2015 Sound Of Music performance was the closest I'd seen in years.

buzzzx and Oatsdad like this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

After seeing the previews, I'm definitely interested.

10. Oatsdad

Man, I wish they'd put out a new trailer. I've seen the current one at least 8-10 times! :help:

TonyCzar likes this.
  11. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Well of course, she could very well be the next Hepburn...but I doubt it. This is more likely just another Hollywood ploy to use a “name” to peddle a recycled movie idea. I freely admit to being cynical regarding mainstream movie releases these days.

12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I saw her in American Horror Story. She was OK. Probably better many pop and rock stars who turn to acting... Nothing special, though.

Witchy Woman likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I don’t think you can compare Paul McCartney’s achievements to someone the public largely remember for wearing a meat dress.:laugh:

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, it did give Garland her signature tune, "The Man That Go Away," but yeah, the movie is long, but just about average length by today's standards. I like the movie, but yeah, the '70s version is just bad.

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

We don't know, but the studio originally had the movie pegged for some other release dated and moved it to the middle of get-noticed-for-awards-season territory. It seems like the studio thinks she and Cooper and the movie have a chance to earn Oscar nominations.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  16. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Believe it or not, I have never seen any of the A Star Is Born films. :eek:

I’ve seen the trailer for the new one a bunch of times, however, and it looks interesting. I love Bradley Cooper (I wonder, is that him singing?). I don’t really know much about Lady Gaga’s music aside from what I saw and heard when she played the Super Bowl. I thought she was almost unrecognizable in that trailer, looking like a normal person, which in and of itself made me interested to see how she would do without all the glam and crazy costumes. Her voice sounded great in the trailer. I am cautiously optimistic, and looking forward to seeing it.

luckybaer likes this.
  17. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

While it deserves to be evaluated on it's own terms, that some group of folks want to trot out this hoary old tale once more speaks to how inspiration-starved H-town seems to be right now. Re-make this, re-make that, super heroes everywhere, hundreds of people involved in an ANIMATED film (giving credit to the catering company when the editors were too lazy to get their own food). It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World folks -- and you're welcome to it.
    Didn't know Gaga was this serious trying to act. Good luck, I guess. I might have preferred Ruffalo over Cooper, I'm sort of Bradley'd out.

18. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Good choice. That would have been a good casting decision.

19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It's Cooper's movie. He directed it, co-wrote it and co-produced it.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  20. Oatsdad

You could've made the same argument against the 1954 and 1976 versions, though! :)

JoeRockhead likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Wiki claims the "general release" version of the 1954 film was 154 minutes - and the one I saw on BD was 176 minutes!

Even at 154 minutes, that's not close to "average" for 2018.

Someone's probably done the math, but I'd guess the average movie length is around 105 minutes. No way 154 minutes is anywhere close to average...

22. Oatsdad

And they're promoting the hell out of it, which seems to be a vote of confidence.

Granted, you could argue the other way, too: they're promoting it so much in hopes to get a big opening weekend before bad reviews/WOM scares away the crowd.

Still, it'd seem odd for them to spend so much money on it if they thought it was a dog! :shrug:

23. Oatsdad

Ruffalo is a terrific actor but I can't see him as the "grizzled, drunken rock star". He just doesn't give off the "rock star" vibe, y'know?

JoeRockhead and chervokas like this.
  24. Oatsdad

You made the argument that Gaga wasn't a "major star" because her best days are in the past. By that argument, McCartney isn't a major star. Mick Jagger isn't a major star. Madonna isn't a major star. Etc.

And claims that Gaga is "largely remembered" for one outfit years ago don't work. She didn't sell out a massive tour last year because of a dress she once wore.

I suspect you know that's true but you want to troll on the issue... :sigh:

Stormrider77, RevUp64 and JoeRockhead like this.
  25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

OK, I exaggerate but when I was a kid movies seemed to be about 90 minutes long. Now look at the big grossing movies -- Black Panther, 2 hrs, 20 minutes; Infinity War 2 hrs 36 minutes; Jurassic World 2 hrs, 8 mins; Solo, 2 hrs; 15....

So 130, 140 is pretty darn common for very high grossing movies.

showtaper likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.