A summary of the "How do you rate Paul McCartney's Albums?" polls...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

It's already there

2. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I wonder if the ultra poor sound quality of "Memory" had something to do with it tanking in your poll.

On the other hand, "Kisses" is among his very best sounding records, and you simply cannot quibble the songwriting, though he wrote only two of the songs.

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of listening to London Town today. Unfortunate for London Town as it tumbled from middle of the pack to the very bottom. I must have been feeling especially magnanimous in an earlier time!

My own little world rankings:
    Tied at #1) Ram/Band on the Run
    Tied at #3) McCartney/Venus and Mars
    5) Red Rose Speedway
    6) Flaming Pie
    7) Wild Life
    8) Chaos....
    9) ....Speed of Sound
    10) Flowers in the Dirt
    11) New
    12) Electric Arguments
    3-way tie for #13) Memory Almost Full/Off the Ground/Tug of War
    16) McCartney II
    17) Back to the Egg
    18) Press to Play
    19) Pipes of Peace
    20) Driving Rain
    21) London Town

Skywheel likes this.
  4. emjel

emjel Forum Resident

Ram just doesn't do it for me. Don't get it. It might be the only Archive Deluxe Set that I won't bother with unless the price drops heavily.

5. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I wish I could make this poll work for me. I'm the problem. I keep picking up these albums and changing my mind. I've had the debut for around 15 years, which I think is very good. I've had RAM for less than 2 years, which I love. I bought Flaming Pie on release and never liked it despite repeated listens.
    I know mostly all the singles and 'classics'. I have all the live albums. The only other studio album I've heard is New and I couldn't stand it. I'm sure there must be something else for me among this lot [cue: every album now getting thrown at me as the one I need to get!].
    Although it seems to get a bit of flack, I feel Wild Life may be the one to try. Band On The Run seems like an obvious one but I know half the tracks, so there's not much left to discover. I'll end up skipping the title track, Jet, Roll It etc. As great as they are, I don't need to hear them again!
    I don't think a compilation would help either.
    Maybe I'll just keep going with the Dylan albums! :p

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

That's the ticket!

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  7. NightGoatToCairo

:laugh:

Zeki likes this.
  8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Dream #9 and Mumbojunk like this.
  9. NightGoatToCairo

905 likes this.
  10. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

not up Wild Life is better at least he still has his voice

Pete Puma likes this.
  11. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

theMess and Zeki like this.
  12. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Glad to see Tug Of War in the top 5.

13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Are folks still voting?

theMess likes this.
  14. mrjinks

Actually, yes. Periodically someone will bump one of the individual album threads and there will be a flurry of activity (usually from newer members) and then it will die down again. Then a different thread will be bumped...

It's been over a year since I updated my spreadsheet - perhaps I'll tackle it again this evening. Sadly, last time I looked, there were about 3 threads that had been locked - there was (briefly?) a time when a policy was stated that threads with no activity in a year would be locked (the old policy was 2 years and largely went unenforced). So a few got locked because they were between 1-2 years. Now, however, I can't find that thread about 1-year locking. Ideally, I'd love to see all 25 threads kept open. Whatever flaws are inherent with my poll choices I can live with, but when you have 200-600 votes per album, it becomes kind of a valuable "resource" here. I'd hope a sympathetic gort might reopen the locked ones, because there will always be folks new to this forum, discovering post-Beatles McCartney music, and I think their votes should count just as much as mine or anyone else's. Plus it was a lot of work to do and I hate to see it locked away for arbitrary reasons.

Just one guy's semi-biased opinion, though! :wave:

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks. Yes, I think it's of value as well.
    Note: one locked thread is Red Rose Speedway...and I didn't get to vote on it!

theMess likes this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

They might be, but it won't affect the Electoral College tally ... ;)

theMess and Zeki like this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

There could be swing votes from other sites.

theMess likes this.
  18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

uh, HELLO?
    Where's "Rushes"??

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Here are the "swing" votes:

[​IMG] ;)

theMess likes this.
  20. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

This is great stuff. I really like Speed of Sound and London Town, but I see how they fall so low because they do contain some filler. To me the top 5 is pretty solid. I just played Flowers In the Dirt (original vinyl) yesterday. It's got some arrangement problems and side 2 is the better side. CHOBA B CCCP has always been a favorite of mine, but that may be due to it's origin and not so much for actual content. The rest of the classic apply for me. Band On the Run, Ram, Venus & Mars, McCartney -- all essential.

Hermes and Zeki like this.
  21. mrjinks

I love Rushes, but I intentionally limited my polls to the so-called "conventional" McCartney albums of pop/rock songs. Electric Arguments fit that category, IMO, but Rushes and Twin Freaks and all the classical and live albums did not.

MsMaclen, theMess and Zeki like this.
  22. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

In a few years time I propose doing these polls again and seeing how people's perceptions changed over time.

23. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

:(...
    well, I guess the 'orchestral' album's aren't mentioned either, so... it makes sense.

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I could see what you were doing. I stayed away from the various covers albums, myself...but maybe I'll take a crack at those.

25. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Back To The Egg sh0uld be much higher.

Dream #9 and theMess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.