A summary of the "How do you rate Paul McCartney's Albums?" polls...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, May 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

i can see that. i actually like ram, but mccartney 1 ... take off every night and maybe i'm amazed and i have 4 track cassettes of my juvenile recording that are better written, more musically adventurous than virtually anything on there. it kinda makes me sad.

john lennonist likes this.
  2. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

It sure is!

My other favourite is Don't Get Around Much Anymore - storming stuff. :agree:

mrjinks likes this.
  3. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

RAM is good but a little odd and unorganized feeling at times.
    I also like Junk and Teddy Boy from McCartney well enough.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. mark winstanley

i generally see that as mccartney when he's uncensored ... i like mccartney 2, but he stepped way out on that one. it was like in wings denny may have held some sway with paul's decision making .... idk

Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  5. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Have to admit/proud to say that I haven't heard many Macca/Wings albums. However, I do own a few, and two of those are BOTR and VAM.

How to put this...if those two really are 'top 3' Macca albums, I have absolutely nothing to gain by hearing any more of his oeuvre.

6. mark winstanley

horses for courses, but if you hate the easily accessible stuff you may be a ram fan ... idk, or you just don't like him lol

7. Price.pittsburgh

Tug of War is one his best and one of the best of the 80s.
    Flowers in the Dirt is up there as well.
    Others are good too without being classics like Venus and Mars, Back to the Egg.

8. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

From what I've heard of it, I'm not a 'Ram fan'. I also dislike nearly all of his Beatles songs. GTGYIML, for example, is ok, but nearly all the rest are toe-curlingly awful.

I think it's fair to say I just don't like him, or his music.

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

i reckon so

yarbles likes this.
  10. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Nothing to be proud of. You’ve missed a lot of great music. I guess you’re listening to others instead of listening for yourself. Again, you’re missing a lot of great music.

Yorick likes this.
  11. Price.pittsburgh

You find these songs awful?
    Let It Be, Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby, Hey Jude, Here There And Everywhere, I'll Follow the Sun,
    The Night Before, Fool On The Hill, You Won't See Me, I've Just Seen A Face, And I Love Her, Can't Buy Me Love, Things We Said Today, Blackbird,
    All My Loving, Get Back, Back in the U.S.S.R, We Can Work It Out, Drive My Car, P.S. I Love You, I Saw Her Standing There, The Long And Winding Road, Helter Skelter, I'm Looking Through You, She Came In Through The Bathroom Window, For No One, Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight, Two Of Us, I'm Down, Oh! Darling, You Never Give Me Your Money, I've I've Got A Feeling, Lady Madonna, Penny Lane, Hello Goodbye?

12. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

How can anyone say that McCartney albums aren't as good as many on this forum claim? They may not be good to some, but to the people that make those claims they are! I don't like the Fireman, but that's only my opinion, I can't say that everyone who says it's good are wrong, because to them it is good!

Someone can share an opposing opinion all they please, but people like what they like!

13. Paulo Alm

Paulo Alm Forum Resident

Very interesting summary overall, but to me it's mind-boggling to see Wild Life so enormously underrated.

14. Price.pittsburgh

The essence of your response can be applied to half the comments on the forum.
    People state similar things as I did about plenty of artist's work.
    Are you going after them soon for not just letting people like what they like without comments?

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wait, so you prefer these guys to Macca? :cool:

16. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Yes, I do! Just scan-reading that list made me feel nauseous! McDonalds for the ears! Didn't he also write Michelle? That one, too!

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

18. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Of course I do, especially when they covered John songs.

Pink and Perky were my formative musical influence, and in many ways have made me what I am today.

19. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Quite probably, but it's highly unlikely that Macca wrote any of it.

20. tages

tages Senior Member

Then why post in this thread ?

Interesting to see the poll results and nice to see more recent albums rated so highly. Lots of good music there!

21. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Christgau is waaaay overrated.

22. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

That s extremely interesting to know: Thanks for sharing :)

23. Price.pittsburgh

If you say so but that list is pretty diverse between folk, pop, rock and roll and love ballads.
    So it's difficult to believe your being authentic. :shh:

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Amazing what "English tea" is capable of doing for a person's songwriting skills... ;)

theMess and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Entertaining reading, that man! Well done.
    Dunno about lowest (or even highest for that matter) as I don’t have all Macca’s solo efforts. I do LOVE ‘Band On...’, Venus & Mars’ and Red Rose Speedway’ though and those three would be my favourites. I also dig ‘Give My Regards To....’ but I’m clearly in a minority here. Not feeling much love for ‘Wildlife’. Not one I play often at all.

PaperbackBroadstreet and mrjinks like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.