A Thing Called "Music"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by robbieplatter, Mar 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

A lot of new releases are going to be held back until touring has resumed. Especially in the UK where shows are more or less definitely resuming in three months time. So too early to say.

Overall music is thriving and our access to it is extraordinary. What is lacking is reliable gatekeepers. There is barely a critic left who I trust (Alex Ross, Richard Williams, Laura Snapes .... that's about it) so I only respond to the personal enthusiasms of people whose tastes I know. I miss a lot but my strike rate has gone way up. This year's "discoveries" so far Benefits, Richard Durrant, SAULT, the new Downes Braide record. Kate Arnold, a seven year old Anthony Joseph / M'Shell Ndegeocello record I didn't know existed (so much for the power of social media as a marketing tool) and a surprisingly brilliant Glenn Hughes / Dead Daisies album. Not too shabby in a pandemic.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    speedracer and carlwm like this.
  2. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

You need some sleep.

...and a couple of hours with Bandcamp.

3. testingcan

testingcan Forum Dissident

Bandcamp? A... a machine?! Are you insane? I only listen to music that I make myself, otherwise there's a machine in between which distorts the immediate connection I have to the wiggly air.

4. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

What, did NASA stick McCartney in the Perseverance rover without telling anyone?

JosepZ likes this.
  5. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

As good as any other year.

carlwm, JosepZ and Terrapin Station like this.
  6. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

As do I; OTOH, accompanying that is 'mental preparation with respect to alternatives if that's not the actual situation.'

Michael likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There's music in 2021?

robbieplatter likes this.
  8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh, I see, another one of those annual "all new music sucks" kind of hate threads. OK, I got 'cha.

This thread won't be around long, so enjoy it while you can.

JosepZ likes this.
  9. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

Another grumpy grampa thread.
    If you really think machines have taken over, you clearly have no idea how music production works. Whatever technology is used, there's always a human controlling it and making the decisions. Skynet hasn't been born yet.
    If you don't like contemporary music, just ignore it. I don't understand the need to complain about it existing.

thehatandbeard and vesikirppu like this.
  10. juss100

juss100 Forum Resident

This - there's s so much "old stuff" out it'll take a lifetime to explore and get to grips with anyway. meanwhile if anything new catches your ear, then enjoy! I'm not huge on modern music styles right now but some albums I find great, regardless - the latest Taylor Swift, for instance ...

11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Too many albums, not enough time.

cublowell and EVOLVIST like this.
  12. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Great music is still out there.
    But you have to search it out ...

mpayan, carlwm, Bluepicasso and 2 others like this.
  13. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

I was playing this video while my wife was in the next room. She said, "yikes - what is that crap? Sounds weak. Where's Nirvana?" :agree:

14. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

you need to take your ears out of the sand and partake in indie music.

carlwm likes this.
  15. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

16. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator

In the last 12 months, my band recorded and released two albums and an EP. We have a brand new double LP being mastered as we speak. Nearly every musician I know has been doing something similar. Several bands have participated in virtual concerts online. A few have made films. The breadth and diversity of the resulting music has been downright inspiring. I've been playing for over 40 years and I've never been this creative in my life and it feels great.

Explore your local music scene and you may be surprised. You'll probably find something you like, unless you live somewhere boring. Or you're a miserable mean old fart who only likes "my music." Instead of buying the new remastered reissue of an album you already own eight versions of, give your money to local independent bands. Sometimes it's an uphill battle for us and we could use your support in trying to make some of that "good music" we hear so much about.

JosepZ likes this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Always look forward to digging around new music in another new year. As usual for the last 10-15 yrs I find some crap, some meh and a few gems. Usually
    end up with 7-10 very good to excellent albums.

I am hoping for something great and fun to come out this year. I hope at least some of these artists that have shut themselves in the studios wont simply be droning on about the 2020 Apocalypse and put out something humerous, hooky, happy and hopeful.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Well that's very interesting, because I am, in fact, made entirely of wood.

revolution_vanderbilt and vince like this.
  19. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

It's going to start raining me...err...music? ;)

20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"If she weighs the same as a duck.......she's made of wood!"

Rne likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed. : )

22. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

lol

Even the "new music sucks" threads have gotten weird.

robbieplatter and JohnQVD like this.
  23. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I will assume that 2021 will be more or less the same as 2020, and reply with regards to 2020, and the first 2 months of 2021.

Music is as good as it has ever been, all one has to do is stay away from the mainstream, and explore the truly creative stuff out there, in all its myriad of genres and subgenres.

An open mind and the desire to explore, helps, too.

24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

BryanW and JohnQVD like this.
  25. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Rise of the Machines

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.