A/V lipsync issue with Bluetooth 5.x?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gerry_AU, Jul 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gerry_AU

Gerry_AU Active Member Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have discovered noticeable AV/lipsync/lag issues with Bluetooth 5.0 earbuds on Windows 10 (not sure about Mac). I have tried 3 different brands of BT 5.0 (el-cheapo, including a set of SoundPeats) earbuds on 2 different computers and all of them have the same problem.

I noticed the lag because I have been using a set of older, expensive Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless headphones which are Bluetooth 4.0 and these have no perceptible AV/lipsync issues.

With this in mind, I decided to see if I could find a set of cheap BT 4 or 4.x buds online to compare with my existing BT 5.0 buds to see if there was any difference.

BT 4.x buds are now hard to find, but I managed to obtain a set (U-ROK Q5) for $26 from Amazon, and as I suspected, these showed no sign of the lag issue.

I just wanted something lighter to replace my Sennheisers as they get a little heavy after wearing for a while, as I am doing online courses which involve a lot of videos and I find the lipsync issue annoying and distracting with the BT 5.0 buds.

I think the lag issue may have something to do with the codecs used in the Bluetooth implementations, but I am no expert in this area.

I was wondering if someone else has noticed the AV/lipsync issue with BT 5.0 buds, or at least wouldn't mind testing them for me?

I guess the bottom line is I don't want to pay top dollar for buds that have this lag.

Grateful for any advice or thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.